Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubular glue mess
Quote | Reply
Ok, so last night I glued on a tubular by myself for the first time (surprisingly easy to do, btw). Everything went great, except there's quite a bit of glue that spooged out onto the breaking surface of the wheel. Any advice on a cleaning product to use on my carbon rims to clean up the mess so it doesn't foul my break pads?

Also, there are a few glue spots on the tire "where the rubber meets the road" so to speak. Is that a problem?

Next time I will use less glue and be more careful...
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular glue mess [keyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goo-be-gone or Goo-gone. Something like that. Apply liberally to glue, let set, and then rub off. Be careful it is not allowed to get on the glue between the tire and rim. Use on tread area with glue also. That can pick up stuff off the road, and if it picks up something somewhat sharp, can eventually cause a flat.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Hope this helps [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been going through this tubular gluing as well for the first time. There are quite a few resources out there on the internet. Anyway, a solvent like goof-off will work wonders on the glue. Without getting the goof-off everywhere, soak a small piece of paper towel and keep dabbing the glue spots. After about 15 mins, the glue should be soft and easily wiped off. Now with the residue from the goof-off, this can be removed with rubbing alcohol, or if you have aluminum braking surfaces use brake cleaner. If the braking surface is carbon, stick with alcohol. As a side note, I use the tubulars for tri's as well as criteriums and other road group rides. I learned a lot about my gluing procedure by removing the tubular (after the first 100miles when I didn't need the race wheels for a week or so) from the wheel and noting where the bond was strong enough, what the glue looks like when removed, etc. I felt the experience of seeing exactly what the glue looked like when the gluing procedure was still fresh was invaluable. I would HATE to roll a tire. Hope this helps - Ernie
Quote Reply
Re: Hope this helps [ErnieK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good idea, ErnieK. Also, I posted a week or so back about Tufo activated gluing strips for tubular tires. You might check out the thread for the discussion points. I'm a big fan of it so far and did it in my living room with no mess whatsoever.

Note: Some others in the group pointed out some potential shortcomings which you should read about before switching to glue tape.

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use 2/3rds of a tube per wheel on 700c's (slightly less on 650s)and never get any overflow, or at least rarely. I think one important technique is to let the glue set-up for 15-20 minutes before putting the pre-stretched tire on. Then you'll get a nice clean installation. It really ease much faster and easier than everyone thinks when done correctly.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hope this helps [ErnieK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think ErnieK made and important point about glueing, seeing what it looks like after you glued it. I know everything made a lot more sense after I fixed my first flat on my tubulars.

I think rolling a tire on a tubular is like rolling one on a clincher. You have to be pretty oblivious to allow it to happen.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular glue mess [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's imporant to make sure to use a pre-stretched tire . So you need a extra set of rims for the stretching. If you cut a stick to hold the tire tight you get less glue mess when you put on the glue on the tire.I just like that glue smell.
Dirtball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I knnow that this is too late but next time masking tape on the rims before you put the tire on... kinda like masking taping the moulding before you paint the wall...
Quote Reply