Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heart Rate Monitor - Polar VS SI
Quote | Reply
I am looking into getting a HRM and am looking at the Polar 210 and the Sports Instruments Pro 7 or Pro 9. Anyone have any comments on the the SI HRM's? The Pro 9 is the top of the line for SI and is about the same price as the Polar 210.

Thanks for your input

A
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate Monitor - Polar VS SI [NJbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with the SI's, but IMHO you can't go wrong with the Polars. I had an Accurex for 8 years, and subjected it to all sorts of cruel and unusual torture before it finally bit the dust. Even then, it's ultimate demise was because I messed up changing the battery myself and water leaked into it. I've had an S710i for about 1 1/2 years now, and absolutely love it. I don't know how the SI's compare feature or price-wise, but Polars are great HRM's IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
having owned several of each brand over the years, I would say that they are about equal in reliability. The one advantage of the SI model is that the battery is easily replaced in the chest strap, not so with Polar. considering that a Polar coded chest strap sells for around $100 in my neck of the woods, this is a definite advantage. OTOH, the batteries in the strap do last for a couple of years anyway.

I am currently using 2 SI models, the SI 90 HR cycle computer, and the Pro 3. Both are good, but my next one will probably be the polar 720i for the download functions and cyclecomputer functions it offers.

Cheers,

J
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate Monitor - Polar VS SI [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cost of replacing a dead Polar transmitter can be offset by doing a trade-in/exchange with a company like Creative health Products (www.chponline.com) brand new a coded strap is $65, brand new strap purchased as an exchance $35....

Jim

p.s. Polar used to do a 40% off trade-in on purchase of new HRMs. Call thier 1-800. I waited as long as I possible could to see if 710 would come onto program, fianlly broken down and bought it cheapest price I could find, which happened to be at CHP.
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate Monitor - Polar VS SI [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Polar and wont change, not because I think that they are the best - rather because it seems that most treadmills, indoor bikes and other electronic workout tools integrate with Polar HRM. (and will mess with the signal of others)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate Monitor - Polar VS SI [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I use Polar and wont change, not because I think that they are the best - rather because it seems that most treadmills, indoor bikes and other electronic workout tools integrate with Polar HRM.
[/reply]

I noticed that my gym has a little Polar symbol on all of the bikes and treadmills, does this feature work with the coded heart rate strap? I guess it doesn't matter because I can just wear the wrist part (don't know correct terminology).

A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I noticed that my gym has a little Polar symbol on all of the bikes and treadmills, does this feature work with the coded heart rate strap? I guess it doesn't matter because I can just wear the wrist part (don't know correct terminology).
It depends on the brand of equipment. All the treadmills and bikes in my gym can read the coded transmitter from S710i no problem (don't remember brands, though). My True treadmill at home (540HRC) which is only about a year old, doesn't read the coded transmitter signal (it came with a Polar uncoded transmitter). After many conversations with True and Polar, what I've come to find out is that essentially the coded transmitters emit 2 pulses for every beat vs the standard (uncoded) which emit one pulse. True Fitness say they are working on a retrofit, but haven't offered one yet. I end up wearing the watch anyway so I can download the workout, but I can't use the HR features of the treadmill unless I wear the uncoded strap. Haven't tried this yet, since wearing two chest straps simultaneously would be too dorky, even in the privacy of my own home (don't even know if this would work). :-)
Quote Reply