Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is a troll?
Quote | Reply
I have read the term on this board and on trinewbies and must admit I have no clue???

I will likely kick myself with the answer but I had to ask.
Quote Reply
Re: What is a troll? [MTL_QC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A troll comes out of his cave and says something like.......

"How the hell could you not know what a troll is" in response to a reasonable question

or a troll starts a thread guaranteed to stir up responses such as ""insert manufacturer" bikes suck"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It used to be a guy around here named Orang_utan
Quote Reply
Re: What is a troll? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pfff....

a troll is a very strong creature from the norwegian mythology...they tend to have very sharp teeth, eat about anything and are very hairy!
they do not stand alcohol :-)
Quote Reply
Re: What is a troll? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't they tend to live under bridges as well??
Quote Reply
Re: What is a troll? [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Acutally thats a good point that I believe is explored further in Asterix and the Vikings, but I dont think they are exclusively limited to under bridges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there, you are asking too much...can't tell...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In one of the most famous stories, the troll lived under a bridge, but usually they lived in caves in teh mountains or in the big forests.

In Norway, we sometimes call people Troll or Trollish, when they are nasty or have a Trollish look (long dirty, uncombed hair...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A straight answer to your question (apart from the entertaining, but incorrect descriptions elsewhere in this thread), a troll refers to "trolling" as in fishing. A troll is a question or statement intended to provoke others and lure them into a discussion in which the originator is often unprepared to entertain any viewpoint but their own. Or a troll might be thrown out there simply to provoke others to debate a subject while the originator sits back and lurks, somehow enjoying the fact that they were able to stir the others up. Trolls almost always heat up into name calling and bad mouthing. As someone already noted, someone might troll with a thread like "xxxxxxx bikes suck" or "xxxxxx dopes" or any other conjectural statement often based on gossip. These threads are usually easy to spot, especially over time as you get to know the character of the forum members. They are usually unwelcome, but not always.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I have to admit, I didn't know what a troll was in forum vernacular. -Learn something every day.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply