Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Image issue
Quote | Reply
In reading through the 'problems with food' thread I wanted to address something that affects my image perception and see if anyone else has experienced this and/or how to cope with it. I often feel that during my training or right after like I am too thin and like my body is burning muscle- that i've got to eat and refuel because i'm starting to look maybe unhealthy thin. But then after my post workout meal and later in the day I turn to feeling guilty sometimes when I eat and my internal perception is that I am eating too much and gaining weight. Anyone else have similar thoughts? I will also add that I train about 15-18 hours per week and am borderline overly obsessive healthy eater.
Quote Reply
Re: Image issue [Enzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's often "easier" to eat right after a workout because you can think, I just burned up all this energy, I need to replace it / recover.

Your still need fuel throughout the day, your body is still using up all kinds of energy.

I phase in and out of that too. "Normal distorted thoughts" I guess.

Don't know if that helps?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump......no one else experiences this or has any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing I can really add is that I encourage you to either #1 go to a counselor to talk about your image issues or #2 take a real long look at what you are obsessing over. Really, and I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, in the grand scheme of things is it a life-or-death situation? You must be getting something out of this obsession and I encourage you to try to figure out what it is. You are eating healthy, exercise, do a sport you love.....so why, in all of the good things you have going on in your life are you focusing on the negative?

I'll admit I weigh 133 pounds now (I've lost 17 pounds in about 7 months so yeehaw - but I digress) and yet there are times I still see a 500 pound (never weighed that much in my life) woman in the mirror. Needless to say, I have my own demons that I deal with from time to time. I just encourage you to try to figure out what is causing your obession and deal with that.

Best of luck.

Quote | Reply
I have never felt too thin. Even when I was 103 lbs I felt like I looked fat.

God's in his heaven, alls right with the world -Nerv
Quote Reply
Re: Image issue [suparuki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was 108 once. Only time in my life I felt thin. Feel like a cow right now.

:-P

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a friend who obsessed about her weight and drove me crazy enough that I decided I was going to stop myself from being that person. After she ate lunch one day she said, "I can literally feel the fat building in my thighs". Every story had a line about how fat she looked in her running tights or how someone was staring at her thighs. I couldn't even talk to her after a while. I came to the conclusion that she was totally self absorbed and I had no business being friends with her.

What a waste of time to spend your precious mental energy obsessing about how you look. Yes, some people look completely amazing and have near perfect bodies but do you know what they do to get there? They obsess! Do you want to do that? If you do, then get on with it. Commit yourself to it and see if that is the life for you. If you know that life is not for you, quit beating yourself up about it and focus on enjoying life and let it go. Stop yourself from having those thoughts. Take a break from it and get some perspective.

If you want to continue down this path of obsession with exercise and food, go see a nutritionist or get a mentor or coach to help you and listen to those people. If you are exhausted physically and mentally then you need to ask yourself what in the hell you are doing and why?

Triathlon should be a healthy hobby that you work hard at and get healthy rewards in return. Unless you are a pro triathlete, I think you are hurting yourself with this preoccupation with your body image. Please, don't waste your life with these thoughts. You are so much more than how you look and your triathlon results. If you are wasting time obsessing with these things, you aren't living up to your true potential as a person.

I wish you the best and hope you can overcome these thoughts. I am glad you are being honest with yourself and I think you will be able to work through this if you keep being honest about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I admit I have some of these thoughts, but I also have had problems with eating in the past. I like the way I look, don't obsess over food or anything, but I do get thoughts which I think are unhealthy but don't act as a result of them anymore. I don't act on any of these thoughts anymore, but they pop into my head sometimes. Things like thinking that my weight is too high when I gain weight (I weigh 108 lbs/5'5'' now and it is very hard for me so much so that I prefer not to weigh myself so that I don't think about it and just think about eating healthy foods and being strong) and that I need to stop eating to lose weight immediately. That I can't eat when I don't exercise. That my legs look fat. That my stomach looks fat. Things that are not normal to think. But in reality I know I look good and I like the way I look when I can get out of these thoughts.

My point is, if you have to ask if it is normal, it probably isn't. You probably need to get help through therapy. Even if you don't have an diagnosis for anorexia or an eating disorder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you tried meal planning? I think it is a great way to 'cope' especially for those of us who like to be in control. I would suggest spending an hour or two on the weekend planning your meals (and snacks) for the entire week. Plan by food group and serving size (NOT by calories). I found it helped reduce the amount of time I spent thinking (or obsessing) about food. I knew if I stuck to plan, my body would get what it needed. You might be less anxious (guilty) when there is a plan. It's kind of time consuming to pull together weekly plans the first couple weeks, but it gets easier and is worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Image issue [gumby10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gumby, I am working with a nutritionist right now and that's what she has me doing - I had a set number of grains, fruit, veggies, fats, milks, proteins I need to get in a day. So much less stressful to me than counting calories.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got so sick of friends obsessing over "how fat they are or feel", I finally started agreeing with them. And followed it up with, " You are right, you are a big fat pig". And why do you eat so much. they finally, stop their obsession around me. And kept their fat talk to themselves. It's always the people who do not have a fat problem that bore everyone to death with perception. Weight yourself or measure yourself, and if everything is the same, then drop your game you like playing with yourself. And find a new obsession.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the poster who mentioned counseling. Those thoughts are disordered and irrational and really shouldn't be thought of as "normal." I can recognize this because I had eating issues back in college (loooong time ago) but have managed to make big changes by reprogramming my thought processes toward healthy, unconditional self love instead of conditional self love based on whether I feel perfect looking or not. It's a tremendous waste of energy, like another poster mentioned. If for no other reason, free up some emotional energy for triathlon performance improvement. By releasing yourself from the grip of these types of worries, you will likely find yourself performing better in all aspects of life. And be happier to boot.

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply