Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's in a pedal?
Quote | Reply
After five years or so, one of the Exus (Look compatible) pedals appears to be on its last legs - it has a float of about 45 degrees!! A replacement set of Exus pedals costs about $90 (Australian).....entry level Look pedals are double that and weigh only 5 grams less according to my research. So what gives? Are the Exus simply a good value for money pedal? Are the Looks simply overpriced? How much different in quality (speed and durability) is there between the cheap-Exus pedals and the expensive Look pedals? Is there any truth to the suggestion that Exus cleats fit the Exus pedal better that the Look cleat?
Quote Reply
Re: What's in a pedal? [Geoff Dickson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode Exus until my wife needed pedals, so I gave her mine and got a deal on a pair of Look 296s. No difference that I can tell, but as I recall the Exus red had a bit less float than the look, all other things being the same.

You can find dirt cheap Looks around right now. Maybe as cheap as Exus.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exus are a fine pedal. I would look around at the different sales on the Looks, however, as many good models are on sale.

I would still go with the Exus Look-compatible cleats, as they are a lot cheaper to replace than the Look cleats and fit fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've seen customer exchange cleats from one pedal/cleat brand to another. Not a good idea. There can be small differences in the cleats that result in the cleat disengaging too easily on a climb or sprint, or not easily enough when you need to get out. Although it is a hassle, it is best to stick with the cleats that are originally intended for the pedals you have. On the Exus/Look thing, some models seem very similar in design and quality.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: What's in a pedal? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may not apply as much for the biking in a tri, but it definitely applies for pedals used for racing road bikes.

Check what the pedal's max "spring tension" runs. Look's most expensive pedals are expensive because they are built to run a high spring tension as high as 11 - 16Nm. Their lower end pedals only go as high as 6 - 11 Nm. This is important because of how the Look/Exus pedal mech works. On the lower-end pedals with lower spring tensions, even at their max tension you can actually pull your foot out of the pedal simply by pulling up, not out, very hard. Try this at home while just sitting on your bike and holding against a wall and try pulling your foot upwards very hard. If the spring tension is low enough, you will hear a click and you'll realize you are no longer clipped in.

Again, while most usually do not achieve this force on the pedals during a tri where constant and steady effort is the norm, in a road bike race or crit where a quick sprint or break is often involved, these levels of force are very often achieved and would be disastrous with a cheaper, low-spring-tensioned pedal.
Quote Reply