Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who punched me in the jaw when I wasn't looking?
Quote | Reply
So...was plowing through a regular Roast Beef from Arby's last night and all of a sudden my jaw goes all cattywompus on me and it starts hurting really bad to chew (to open my mouth, shut my mouth, move my mouth, anything involving not leaving it just a smidge open - which only looks stupid with Roast Beef and drool hanging out of my mouth). Thought it was the indications of an ear infection. PT roommate says he thinks it's my TMJ just a little outta whack. Popped a few Advil, went to sleep. Few hours later I wake up with amazing sinus pressure and then it's like someone opened the floodgates and drainage everywhere. Wake up this morning with a smidge of drainage (no sinus pressure or pain) but my jaw's still all wonky and ANGRY. One side of my molars now mash together perfectly, the other doesn't even touch (w/o a concerted effort to mash that side down which apparently gets dust in my eyes as they instantly start watering).

I was chewing a sandwich...what gives??? I've had the joint temporarily knocked weird on the other side about 5 years ago playing volleyball and all was well after about a week or two, but I'm not sure I can take this for that long. Anyone have any good ideas? (besides asking someone to punch me in my jawbone to realign it)

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Who punched me in the jaw when I wasn't looking? [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're unlucky, you might have actually dislocated one of your TMJ's. Probably would be worth calling your dentist - if he/she has a Panorex unit (a device that swings around your head and does a flattened x-ray projection of your entire jaw), this could be determined. Don't know whether you would have to see an oral surgeon to have it treated. I've done films of these before, though I really don't ever hear about the follow-up.

[Edited to add: If you can't get a panorex done by your dentist, many hospital radiology departments have them. Could get it done with an order from your primary care doc, or in a pinch, through the ER.]

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Last edited by: xraycharlie: Mar 23, 09 7:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aware, sorry about your pain. I have TMJ pretty bad, and I never had any sort of swollen, acute attack like you are describing.

I don't have any novel idea, but actually maybe to see a doc. In the meantime, have you noticed , with TMJ, how much it helps to go on a soft foods diet? A couple of days with just juices, yogurt, and soft veg's? Out of all the lifetyle changes I've tried for TMJ, (plus meds) , the simple act of going on a soft diet, always helps the most profoundly.

When I have TMJ really bad, it even hurts to chew spaghetti. So, this is a reminder to not stress your jaw at all while you are figuring this out. HTH

PS, I have also had sinus problems that radiated to my jaw, so do'nt rule that out yet..keep watching...

Feel better. :-X
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just looked into it briefly - if you can close your mouth fully, it's probably not currently dislocated. Still probably worth investigating the issue, though.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Re: Who punched me in the jaw when I wasn't looking? [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's definitely not dislocated, pain isn't that severe. I just tweaked it, I'm sure, through some route or another.

Being directly involved in the health insurance industry and having just had this pop up last night - while it's sure as hell an annoying pain - it in no way warrants a trip for a panorex at the ER and doesn't yet require a trip to the dentist. If it hasn't lessened up a bit after Wednesday we'll talk. I'm not shelling the dough out of my pocket for the guy to look at it and say, "Yep, it's cattywompus. It'll be fine in a week or so. Stay with the Advil." Which is exactly what they did last time after a week of aching.

Softer foods, yes. Already a given.

I think it may have sounded a bit more severe than it is. It's surely annoying as hell and a "pain in the jaw," but gives me a reason not to talk to anyone...not a bad thing on a Monday morning.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea about the pain, but I just wanted to say I love Arby's Roast Beef sandwhiches. It's the only fast food I'll eat...well, except In and Out Burger, which we don't have here.

Hope the jaw pain is goes away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had this happen to me before. Usually takes a week to get back to normal. For me it was a TMJ issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was in college I was a stress monkey and used to get TMJ flare ups becase I would grind my teeth at night while sleeping. Never hurt at night but sometimes during the day I would be eating and then it would just let go, just like you described. Then I would get the weird mushy shifting in the jaw that always came with misaligment. Usually took a week to get better, beer was the most effective treatment then.

A couple of things that helped-

Sleep on your back if you don't already, stay off the jaw.

Reduce or eliminate coffee etc during the flare up. Yeah, that one is hard.

Hope you feel better. Sucks when you are talking through gritted teethe all the time.....
Quote Reply
Re: Who punched me in the jaw when I wasn't looking? [19Seventy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. I think that's exactly what happened - I probably spent most of Saturday's long run with teeth clenched, then might've done much the same during Sunday's hard swim. Not to mention a chaotic water heater installation.

Luckily, however, other than some slight residual soreness I'm back in the game. Had a whopper of a headache on Tuesday and a bit yesterday, but today I seem to be back to normal. Teeth line up and everything!!

I still think beer is a pretty good remedy for most things...I just don't seem to have quite the endurance for it that I used to. Thankfully, my run endurance has improved in an inverse relationship....

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are the workouts that bad? LOL

:-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply