Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike case on the airline
Quote | Reply
I just got a tri-all-3 sports bike case and it is gigantic. I am very worried about the airline accepting this (I am going to St. Croix on American Airlines). Does anyone have any experience using this case? I bought the case because I don't know how to take my bike apart to ship it and this case required the least disassembly. Does anyone think I am better off taking my bike to a local bike shop and have them ship it to the bike shop in St. Croix for re-assembly or I am o.k. getting around with this gigantic bike case? any help would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike case on the airline [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used this case. The airlines will accept it. The big question is how you will get it to your hotel from the airport. Those are excellent cases but it is like bringing a minivan with you on vacation. Yo can pack a ton of stuff in there: all your bike and tri gear, scuba stuff, assorted other toys. The airline will definately sock you with the excess baggage fee. I now use a Serfas hard shell flight case which is probably 35% smaller and much less conspicuous. Many times I can check it without the airlines charging me the $85 excess baggage fee. Your Tri-all3 case will go on the aircraft just fine. It can be a bit tricky getting it to your destination if you are connecting through Miami International. It may arive on the next flight- nothing to stress over though. You'll see, it will work out.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have two cases. One is UPS compatible, the other is a bit bigger and outside the UPS specs. You won't have any problem with the airlines. If you go through the USAT travel desk, you can get a voucher good for transport of the bike case on some airlines.

If your case is UPS compatible, shipping it will be cheap. If not, it will be expensive. I got the UPS compatible case for just that reason.
Quote Reply
Tom hat about wheels? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got an Iron Case and it's fine but now that I have a disk I don't feel so confident putting the disk in the case. What is your experience? Any particular things to do to avoid thewheels to be crushed?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Tom hat about wheels? [richard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not familiar with Iron Case. I have no problems securing my training wheels in my case, but I wouldn't put my disc in my case on a bet. I have a separate case for my wheels that is within the standard baggage spec for the airlines.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMHO it is much easier, and less stressful, to have the LBS pack and ship your bike to the LBS at the race destination. That way, you show up to the race and your bike is waiting for you in one piece and all tuned-up.
Quote Reply
special case? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what kind? where did buy it? Thx
Quote Reply
Re: special case? [richard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is also a Tri all 3 case. It is a hard case that holds at least two wheels and the dimensions just sneak in under airline specs for a large bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congratulations, you just bought the best bike case out there!

I bought mine 6 years ago it's been all over the place,
Switzerland, France, Italy, Florida, LakePlacid, SanDiego, Boulder, Lanzarote...
The case (including my bike) fly about 40kmiles a year and that case is still
in perfect shape. The wheels are still rolling, that's usually the first thing that goes.
It's scratched like crazzy and it gets a little harder to close because it's a little deformed but there is no way to break it or much worth to harm my beloved bike.

Every airline has accepted it so far and nobody even gave me trouble.
You have to pay the 50-85$ fee but it's hard to get around that anyway.
International travelling is usually free for the bikebox!

about getting from the airport to the hotel.

The smallest cars are usually the best! not kidding.
In small cars you can put down the rearseat and they have a small rear so you can slide the box in.
Never rent a biger car than compact because there you are sure that the bike box won't fit! Or you have to go for SUV, Minivan or Pickup!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike case on the airline [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re UPS being cheap. Not to St Croix they aren't!

The only way they ship to St. Croix is express service (2-3 day) and it cost $470.

I could not believe it when I saw that price on their website, so I called and the woman on the phone (unaided by my web experience) told me that was the only and least expensive service they had to St. Croix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AS a frequent guest of the airlines and their infidel's long security lines, my brothers (praise be upon them) and I have much expereince bringing many things on airliners. It is quite easy to smuggle, ahhh, get (slice out my tongue) a bike case on the airlines. Beware the sniffing dogs of the infidels, they are the devil's servants, they will sniff out your cargo. Pack your bike cases well, my friend, or the infidel baggage handlers with bring shock and awe upon your precious bike, praise be upon it. I condemn these baggage handlers. They are condemned.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike case on the airline [trijihad911] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I learned a new trick at American the other day (which is why they are almost belly up). After getting my e ticket, I walked to the counter the lady looked at my case asked "whats in it"? I said, it's oversized so I know I have the $25 oversize fee. She said correct. I paid $25 the sucker 2 rows overed paid $85 from telling her its a bike. Read the new oversize baggage stickers they have plastered everywhere and use them to your advantage. I didn't even feel guilty shelling out 22 clams for a hardcover book after that.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Bike case on the airline [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Praise be upon you. My brothers and I honor you. You may walk among us. You have defeated the infidel's airlines. They have withered before your might. Cast them into the desert.
Quote Reply