Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Night sweats [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem a couple years ago, and it turned out to be reactive hypoglycemia. The doctor ordered a 3-hour glucose tolerance test to help figure it out. Now I take glucophage and hardly ever get night sweats. May be worth looking into...
Quote Reply
Re: Night sweats [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, indeed, I'd be up for Hawaii! How big is Magg's place?
Quote Reply
Re: Night sweats [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't watch until she kept popping new tubes on. I was stunned at the end of it. Crazy. I should be getting the full results in the mail.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Night sweats [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you do anything (outside of something like HRT) that worked for the night sweats? I have some screwed up hormones right now and it appears my body thinks it's in early menopause....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I just turned 40 this month. She's pretty sure it is hormonal but agreed that it made sense to screen for all the possibilities. I got really sick a couple weeks back and it really knocked me out. That is really rare so there is a slim possibility there is more going on. With me they are random and not tied to my monthly cycle or exercise. Last night I was hot but I wasn't slick so there is a big difference between overheating and the nightsweats I get.

Menopause may just be sneaking up on me.

Not to alarm anyone, but in such a circumstance, I would suggest an HIV test as well. A combination of getting really sick (seroconversion) and following that, heavy night sweats can be one of the symptoms. Of course, they are also related to other issues, but just suggesting.

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Re: Night sweats [cervelo-van] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was screened for HIV many years ago and so was my husband. Both clean. I'm confident of his faithfulness and I know i haven't been messing around.

I went on low dose BC for a month last year then went back off. I felt short of breath and didn't feel like it helped. I still get them but have found that if I start off cool when I get in bed that really helps. My husband will have all the covers on, wearing pjs and I'll have just a sheet on and a tank top. We got an electric blanket back in Dec because it was freezing cold. I couldn't have it on at all except to warm up the bed before I got in but my husband loved it. I finally made him stop sleeping with it on because I was sweating every night. I also stopped warming up the bed.

I also get hot flashes which my husband and I laugh about. I'll be on the couch and ask him if it is hot in the house. I've got a t-shirt on and he is under a blanket. The answer is generally no :-) I wear layers quite a bit even at work so I can take them on and off as needed. I do that when shopping too. Layers and start off a little chilly.

I still can't predict when I'll get them. I thought it was related to eating in the evening but that theory was a fail. I don't eat a lot of carbs, especially not white bread. They are still nasty, I wake up slick, really gross. But, I am now 41 and it is all downhill, hormonally speaking, from here. I've decided to avoid HRT for as long as I can. My annual tune-up is coming up and I'll get another set of labs done to see how things are going.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, and I'm already on BC.

It doesn't sound like there is a lot I can do other than trying to be as cool as possible while sleeping. I also have a partner who likes to have warm warm warm blankets while sleeping though we've compromised.

I did get some relief when I was on a dopamine agonist, but it caused a little psychotic break-ish problem (am on dopamine antagonists for my mental cooties, and they are screwing with my prolactin and hormones) so I've had to go off of it and am getting the night sweats again. My calves are actually still very painful from cramping while too hot Saturday night. Hopefully I will be switched meds soon though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm almost 10 years ahead of you and I missed training Saturday because of night sweats AND insomnia. If it were more predictable, I would seek help, but for now, it is sporadic. Are you losing sleep as well?

It sucks to get old :-(

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Night sweats [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you losing sleep as well?

YES! For the first time ever I've thought about asking my doc for Lunesta. It is a nightmare. First I can't fall asleep then if I wake up I can't fall BACK to sleep. Ugh.

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: Night sweats [Demagogue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jen, you are dehydrated. I know it sounds counter-intuitive but it is a common occurance. Particularly with endurance athletes.

What I was going to say...I do get night sweats, and I don't always pay attention to hydration status. If I have a late workout, and don't rehydrate, I'll sweat a lot, regardless of temperature in my room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guilty of random night sweats as well, doesn't happen every night. And some nights are worse than other night. Not only have I woken up with slick arms and legs but sweat is actually trickling down my belly. It is soooo gross.

I'm small and get cold easily, my husband is a furnace. I'm early thirties (so not menopause related for me) and I don't take anti-depressants (rules out that theory for me).

My assumption is temperature variances in our room.

But the person that brought up the alcohol related theory, making note of that one. I did have partake in St Patty's Day festivities last night, and wouldn't you know it - had a minor case of night sweats.
Quote Reply
Re: Night sweats [mayhew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Are you eating enough?

I actually more or less bonked after a ride while walking my son up to the library. I scarfed what little food I had with me. I ended up being a very sweat dude in the children's section of the library, which made me feel kinda creepy :)

Sounds like hypoglycemia to me. Be careful! As a diabetic, when my blood sugars go low, I get sweaty until I get back to a normal range.
Quote Reply
Re: Night sweats [lindsayonthego] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
definitely hypoglycemia - i always know that i need to get something to eat fast when i feel sweat starting to bead on my forehead 10-15mins after a workout. if i don't eat, it's only a matter of time before tunnel vision sets in...usually followed by a short and unceremonious trip to the ground.

this has got me thinking that there were a few times last year when i woke up soaked in the middle of the night, to the point i thought our waterbed was leaking. i don't think i have records of when those instances were, but i'm pretty sure they were mostly in the summer and early fall when my workouts were longest (almost always in the evening), and in hot weather i don't always feel up to eating a large enough amount of calories after a long run or ride to replace what i burned..

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Not that obvious actually...I realized that if I eat soon before going to bed, this is precisely when I sweat a lot. If I eat 2-3hrs prior to bed, no sweating...I guess I have a good metabolism, and it just kicks in when I eat.
Quote Reply
Re: Night sweats [Fraussie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
might be acclimatization, too - i'm used to having a small snack right before bed, so maybe it doesn't affect me the same way it would in someone who usually doesn't eat that close to sleeping?

if i wake up drenched again, i'll make a note of what the conditions were the evening before..

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Wow... lot's of complicated replies.

Basically this is my simple punt. YOUR DINNER. If a body is fatigued and tired or even seperate to that needing to be at minimal activity at night then minimising the combinations of food and deleting carbs is the go.

I get night sweats if I eat carbs+proteins/starch in the evening. Changed to simple food combining principles a decade ago and never looked back.
Let's just say that a pile of complicated food for the little tummy workers on nightshift is a hard rabble to sort. They just up tools and go for a smoko or walk off the job.
Quote Reply

Prev Next