Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hunger
Quote | Reply
ok to make a long story short - I have switched to carbo pro because of bad gut problems that were due to my buffet on the bike LOL
so I am keeping it simple
Even though I have been winter training my gut is good
BUT I get hungry and I have to pee a lot since I am now drinking my cals
so
what can I add to stick to my gut and not my butt (sorry I could not resist LOL)
I do eat b-fast about an hour before I go

We rode 45 this morn and I got hungry but drank 2.5 bottles of carbo pro with a little gatorade for flavor
and I had to pee 3 freakin times and I ride with an all guy group
Thanks

http://www.trainerbecky.com
Quote Reply
Re: hunger [trichic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried solid food? Maybe a half a Clif bar would help. Liquid calories can leave you feeling hungry, it does for me, so a little solid food wouldn't be a bad thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: hunger [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestion
Before carbo pro I ate EVERYTHING on the bike- you name it!
now I have scaled back and simplified everything but am getting hungry so that is why I was wondering if someone else out there uses Carbo pro and what solids they have found that mixes well with it.
I love clif bars but at this point I am not sure. Could be too heavy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bananas, pretzels, half a sandwich. Lots of ideas that are easier on the stomach. Start small, count the calories you take in from the solid food towards your hourly calorie intake.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: hunger [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again
I am not a newbie at this been doing it about 15 years I just have gotten older and my stomach has changed
I can take in a max of 350 cals an hour
again just trying a new regimn

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it might also depend on how long the ride is, but it sounds like by going all liquid you're overhydrating to get the calories.

So, maybe experiment with something like half or a quarter bar right before you usually start getting hungry and see if you drink less. If you reintroduce something more solid in smaller increments than you were doing, you should be able to fine tune the balance of how much/when to eat where you're not over doing the calories and can reduce the liquid dependency making you have to pee so much.

There is no justice, there is only me. -- Death
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not gel? It's like liquid cals w/o the liquid.
Quote Reply
Re: hunger [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
both great suggestions
you are right about the distance of the ride
I will experiement with both

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you make the carbo pro less fluidy?

I go with all liquid (Perpetuem) and just make it super strong. It's all I'll take on 100 mile rides and usually only have go to the bathroom once.

I've also heard that if you increase your salt intake your body will absorb more of the water vs just peeing it out. I'm not sure I believe this.

You might be over hydrated before you start. 45 miles is 2-2 1/2 hours? To pee that much in a relatively short ride (if I pee before I ride 40-50 miles, I'm normally okay until after the ride and after my brick run), that's a LOT of liquid to take in and process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha.

I personally have to take in some protein to feel OK during my long workouts. I am a Perpetuem and Accel Gel girl. Took me a while to figure that out and the process was painful.

I hope you find something that works :-)

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not a newbie at this been doing it about 15 years I just have gotten older and my stomach has changed

Me too. And I am baffled at this turn of events. For years and still most times in training, I can eat just about anything, but I've experienced race after race of stomach issues since about 39 years old (mostly in IM's and a few 1/2 IMs).

Hormones? WTF. Anyone know why this happens? I'm curious. I've started upping the salt intake and it seems to help at times, but not everytime.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use carbo pro almost exclusively in races, and I just concentrate it so there are more cals with less liquid. I've gone to at least 600 cals per bottle without a problem.

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Re: hunger [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, also in the same boat - so many things that I cannot eat even within 2-4 hrs of training or racing any more... I used to be able to scarf down anything anytime. 37yo, so maybe it is a getting older thing... I have hypothyroidism to deal with at the same time, so it's even more challenging, but yeah I'd vote hormones. They've been f*cking me up since I was 13, why stop now LOL

Tell me about your stomach issues and what works/doesn't. For me, one thing I used to eat frequently was raw almonds (small amounts, usually in my plain yogurt or a handful as a snack). Now, if I have any I cannot run for at least 4 hrs afterwards otherwise I feel like I will puke. It feels like it takes longer for food to process through my stomach to my lower GI. If I have a small cup of yogurt about 3 hrs before a race/workout, I'll feel great. Any more than that - ugh. Also, coffee is bad - more than 1 cup and it simply sloshes around in my gut. I think the stomach gets slower and needs less in it. At least that how it feels...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: hunger [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG!!
I am hypo
I think it is hormones too, I am 43 now and I am like you gals, I used to could eat ANYTHING on rides and runs.
Now I have to wait 2 hours after I eat to run and if I swim right after I eat - good golly
I also, LOL, have been to the doc for my GI issues; major gas, many, I mean many poos throughout the day. Then some days maybe one. I even got checked for diabetes becuase I pee so much. But I am thirsty and when you are IM or 1/2 IM training you are thirsty!
oh and weight gain I am up 8-10 lbs -I am a trainer, I know how to eat, I teach people to eat!- I log my foods, I dont eat sugar, I am 1.2 IM training (Kansas) I dont drink anymore (damnit) and if I do drink a beer it is Miller 64. I eat good! I miss oreos!

so I go April 2 to get major blood tests, all the stuff, and they better not say you are in the normal range
oh and she better not say about my weight, "Maybe you need to start an exercise program" I will thump her on the nose! LOL

What was happening to me was in races I was ending up looking 8 month prego by the end with massive pain.
What is working now on the bike is Carbo pro but like I said I am getting hungry so I am going work in a plain PB power bar. I like those and they are basic.
But I have not trained in heat yet so I so hope all this works.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, I have a problem getting a lot of fluid down the gullet. I get bloated and sloshy belly. I think you need to find something more solid and/or ease off the liquids - try drinking less - seriously.

I eat well 80% of the time (I am human and am weak) but little to no sugar. But I didn't lose weight until I started taking in LESS of everying. Quanity was the issue. I just can't eat or drink as much without major stomach issues. Cut EVERYTHING you drink or eat in half and do that for a few days, maybe a week - but please east food don't just drink liquids. Eat more meals but half-size meals if you are hungry. See if that helps, it has for me - A LOT.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: hunger [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL
believe me I eat less- I log my foods
I am a trainer and have been for obver 20years. I teach people how to eat
I log my foods so much I can give you a run down of cals for months
I cannot cut any more cals, I will get too dizzy
I dont just drink
I am quite the eater
in fact just finished peel and eat shrimp and green beans
I eat about 5-6 small meals a day

Please - it is not my over indugence of food or lack of nutrients or please dont think I am just drinking my foods
it is a bunch of stuff that is wrong with me

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GOOD! What does The Doc say? Let us know when you do...

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW you can get carbo pro mixed pretty high cal (i want to say over 1000) in a bottle and still have it be liquid (like much more so than gel), and you can get most cal this way without drinking through two bottles in the process.

Quote Reply
Re: hunger [newbz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You said you are a trainer and teach people how to eat.
Serious question: What is more important the quantity of food or the total cal/nutrient intake?

I have been battling with weight for a long time and am about 20 pounds overweight, even thought I swim, bike and run consistently. (Love the swimming part best) And would love to be able to kick this.

I eat no white flour, and other than veggies, I have cut down on carbs as much as possible...love to have one serving a day. and do my best on sugar. (something once a week)

Any good advise is much welcomed!!

http://www.edgeventures.org
Websites for endurance athletes
Simple websites for Simple Wallets
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have really bad GI issues when I ride/race. I can't drink all my calories because I get too hungry so I have found a few things that work really well and don't upset my stomach.

First of all, Clif Bars are bad bad bad for me. It has to do with the brown rice syrup or whatever it is they use, but they always equal a gut bomb for me.

Things that have worked have been, "Organic Food Bars" (horrible name but really good and don't upset my stomach), PB&J cut into pieces and individually wrapped in foil, and Clif Shot Blocks.

Good luck figuring this out. Nutrition is my constant battle so I totally understand what you're going through.

my severely neglected blog
Quote Reply