Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

new bike fit - front end
Quote | Reply
See the new bike saga thread for my bike buying experience. Unfortunately, I'm stuck doing my own fitting. Trust me, if I could find a place that I trust I would get a professional fitting. Outside of flying to MI or driving to LA, I don't know where I can get a pro fitting that I trust.

I'm currently working on the aerobar positioning. The LBS that I bought the P2k from said my arm from both the front & side views should mirror the front fork? Anyway, does anyone have a good rule of thumb for how far apart the pads/bars should be? I think I've got the stem length right but I'm confused about how far apart the bars should be.

This is for a P2k on the stock Syntace Streamliner aerobars in the steep seat angle setup. I'm about as aero as I can get and am following the fit articles on this page.
Quote Reply
Re: new bike fit - front end [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure that real aero-gurus will chime in here, but from what I have read and experienced you want to have the elbows, and hence the pads, as close together as possible to achieve the best aerodynamics. However, let's be realistic here, you need to have good control of the bike while in the aero-position and it needs to be comfortable too.

Go out for a casual one hour ride with variable terrain. Take along some Allan keys and start fiddling with the pad positioning during hard riding, easy riding, up hill, down hill, on corners . . etc . you get the idea. You should be able to figure out what positioning of the pads works best for YOU. Note - this may not be the position that was arrived at via some mathematical calculation or by some fit professional, but this will be the positioning of the pads that is customized for your needs.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
not as close together as possible [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
look at john cobb's articles on his page:
http://www.bicyclesports.com/home.aspx
and specificly this article:
http://www.bicyclesports.com/tech/display.aspx?view=114324010203.xml

summary: the least amoutn of drag is when the elbows are as wide as your legs (looking from the front). wider or narrower creates more drag.
Quote Reply