Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

not my proudest moment
Quote | Reply
i am going to hide behind the mask of ultra-poser to tell everyone a little something about what i am doing. i am telling you people because you don't know me and because you share a love of endurance that no one in my circles understand. so read if you want or click out. trust me i understand you leaving.

today, much to the protest and anger of my va shrink, i am cycling off the pills i was given to help with my 'decompersion'. i have borrowed a pair of adjustable dumbbells and bought the least worn out pair of nikes from the local thrift store. i take my first run in 18 months tomorrow and lift for the first time in as long. i will carry with me 35 pounds of fat that i gained in a long slide. my wife is not happy about this but she is my greatest friend and truest partner and will help me get back.

don't worry i will not have a rambo moment or anything i am just opening myself up for a large anount of failure. i am dropping the cocoon i have wraped myself in and i know that am not ready but i need the sting of reality. i need to fight again.

since 1994 i have always considered myself a warrior. a fighter. a type A ultra compitive uber dude. if you can do something i can do it twice as good. i lived and thrived in a world as compresed as a diamond. failure was not an option and to be second was to be the first looser. i lived 200+ days incountry. my kids and wife where emails and pictures. i was smart, i was unbeatable, i was the first in and the last out. i paved the road the all others traveled.

well my son asks me why i don't love him. i had missed his 6th birhtday in a row, i was batting 100 on missing important moments, and that is when it hit me. i was making the world safe for democracy but i was destroying my kids and marriage in the process so i got out. i had the warriors mind and body but i didn't have the warriors heart.

this, that and the other and here i am. hiding behind a name saying things i shouldn't say to people who could care less, but i reread my posts on the war and saw what i have become. a washed up, backward looking ball of drama. for that i say i am very sorry. i am not acting like who i am.

so the first painful run starts tomorrow and the next day after that. and in that pain i will find what i am missing and in that pain i will be happy. it will be a long while before ultra-poser goes away. can't do the job without the tools but that isn't what's important. what is important is the journey. i still want to go to kona. i will in a few years do a tri again. i will be the man i am not right now.

if you want to throw things at the screen or write a nice burner just keep in mind that by the time you read this i will have wished i never wrote it.

thanks for listening.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Last edited by: ultra-poser: Apr 21, 03 21:09
Quote Reply
Re: not my proudest moment [ultra-poser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the way is the goal" (lao tseu I believe, but not in english...pardon my chinese :-))
irrelevant of the war thing, post thing (we didn't agree on many things, but it does not mean anything else but what it is:"not agreeing on "stuff"")
etc...
happy for your wife and kid!
happy to see one more runner...

train safe, have fun! enjoy your new life!

Francois the french pain in the ass dude! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: not my proudest moment [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every journey begins with a single step my friend. Now you'll use your warrior's heart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go ULTRA!!

take it away, and rock on!

I came back last year after a 10 year hiatus, and I know it takes a tremendous amount of guts and desire to crank it up again. You'll love the pain, and the endorphins.

Henk - tipping my hat to Ultra

Alex Jonker
Quote Reply
Re: not my proudest moment [Henk J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I say this from growing up without a dad(but saw him everyday,lived in the same house)Go home and learn to say I LOVE YOU to your wife and kid (sometimes its the hardest thing in the world to do but has the best returns)Get in shape and not just your body,find the things that really matter in life,(not the car,house,boat) If you can do these things you will be successfull,Repete everyday till you die, and learn to say I AM SORRY I WAS WRONG. Most of all learn to like your self ,it might mean losing weight or going to school or being a better father and husband.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 24, I was a Marine officer, former college swimmer, scoring 300 on every PFT I ran. I thought I was invincible. Then, I developed a chronic disease that took my career and health away. I can understand where you are coming from. After about 16 years of inactivity and depression, I started running daily at age 40. Then, I added swimming and cycling, and am now doing tris. I am not a superstar, but I sure feel a lot better about myself, and my wife and kids are very supportive. I don't fly into uncontrolled rage nearly as much anymore. My only advice is--don't trade one obsession/drug for another. Keep control and balance. If that means backing off a little, missing a race for your son's Eagle Scout project, then do it. Your kids are your legacy. When you die, few will remember what you did at work or how fast you ran a marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
may not be your proudest, but maybe your most important. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're calling this "not your proudest moment" because at this point you're looking back and you don't like what recent events have forced you to become. But you made a decision to change that. At some point in the future, you'll look back and know that this is one of your best moments, making the turn-around to a balanced life.

Keep us posted. I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: not my proudest moment [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I whole-heartedly agree with all the comments above. Ultra you go dude! Second, third or last in an event like triathlon or 5k is not losing but winning. The losers stayed home. Love your family, take care of yourself, prey for guidance and we'll all see you out on the road! Best wishes and good luck!

Craig

Craig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quite possibly the bravest post I've ever seen. Anywhere.

"A man must love a thing very much if he not only
practices it without any hope of fame and money,
but even practices it without any hope of doing it well."

(G. K. Chesterton)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you're putting it back together. The fact that you're turning it around means that this is a proud moment.

We all have trials and challenges in our lives. A decade ago, I went thru a divorce that let me as an emotional basket case. For awhile I was in clinical depression and had to seek appropriate help. You'll pull thru and be a stronger and better person because of it.
Quote Reply
Re: not my proudest moment [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd second, or third, dropping the poser lable. Your turn-around sounds like the real deal. Very well done and good for the soul. Regards!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra- I'm awestruck by the level of courage needed to write this post. It takes a lot to search one's soul and come to the conclusions that you have. It takes even more courage to muster the will to do something about it and make the life changes. But dude... it takes some real fortitude to bear one's soul publicly the way that you have! I wish you all the best in making the right choices for you and sticking through the tough times, because those individuals who display this sort of rare courage are ALWAYS rewarded for it in the long run. Fight the good fight, man. See you at the races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enjoy everyday with yourself and your family. You never know when you won't get the chance to run again or tell your family you love them again.

Good luck.

You win some.
You loose some.
You wreck some.
A-
Quote Reply
Re: not my proudest moment [Bug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
today, much to the protest and anger of my va shrink, i am cycling off the pills i was given to help with my 'decompersion'.

_______

I read this post about 3 times today and resisted my urge to reply with "mind your own damn business". After a hard bike ride and 3 beers as a reward, though, the mind your own... loses out.

I applaud your plans and wish you the best. However, I don't understand why you can't get yourself back in motion, pick up the pieces AND maintain the drugs. I'm not a doctor, and I don't have first hand experience with mental illness, but I do have some limited second hand experience, and based on what little I have seen, trying to skip the medicine ultimately doesn't work. You might feel better for a while, but then the cliff appears.

FWIW, why not try both the rededication and maintain the dosage, at least for awhile?
Quote Reply
Re: not my proudest moment [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the most important thing is being very careful cycling off if thats what you want to do, it can be as strange coming off them as it is going on them.

Long term it may be better to compromise at some level but thats something that no one here can advise on or even relate to, it is incredibly personal.
Quote Reply
wow [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am just about speechless. you guys are killer. thanks for not slaming me.

did my first run today. one word: pain. the nikes where a lot more worn down than they seemed in the thrift store. and the extra 35 pounds didn't help. every foot strike crushed my knees and shins to powder. it was worth every bit of the suffering.

i am in the process of doing my favorite thing. i am writing out a schedule to get me ready for my local turkey trot on thanksgiving. 8 miles with the only goal to have fun. i'll be starting with 10 weeks walk/run workouts and move on from there. i know this seems real basic but my knees and shitty, worn out,unsupportive shoes are praying for me to start real slow.

about me and my family. i can brag that i have spent the last 18 months making up for lost time. i spend every hour i can with my kids. my daughter,11, welcomed me back with open arms. my son, 8, took a while to patch up with but he is now my main man. hugs, kisses and i love yous are more common than breathing in my house.

i swear i will not make posts like these common place. thanks all the same.

like i always thought. the community of endurance is the greatest commuinty of all.

Quote Reply
Re: wow [ultra-poser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, some basic stuff you may have forgotten...
stretch! your muscles will be too tight, and tendons will hurt (we have mandatory military service in France, and if I guess right, you have probably run in those wonderful comfie boots the army makes, and the US are probably not any better cushion wise than the french...maybe a little period with glucosamine will help...not sure of any proven benefits, but it put my achille tendinitis down after 18 months of trying everything)...

alternate run/walk is great to start with...that was even the advice of Grete Waitz (spell) the greatest marathoner ever (remark, just to piss andrew off...I know, the best is PR :-))

last thing, be easy on the hugs! remember no hugs in front of their friends! :-))...kids...good luck...

and change your nickname!
Quote Reply
Re: not my proudest moment [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great point. i really thank you for your views. see i am what the military calls 'decompresing' i have lived 7 years as an operator in the air force specail forces. like i said in my post i kept my mind and body in full gear 24/7. i always felt like a bull stuck in a pin. to live off adrenlin (spelling?) for so long makes coming down hard. i was referd to a VA hospital where i met my head shrinker. when i needed some gold old fashion talk time he just handed me pills. here is one for your guilt, here is one for your sleep, here is one for your doubt, here is another dozen to counter act the prevouis ones. they numbed me.

my first hint was my spelling and vocabulary. a lot of people on this sight proably think i'm an eigth grader do to my writing. actually i am quite smart so i was worried about what was happening to me.

i'm no fool. i am not going cold turkey. i have mapped out a plan with the good quack to take me off the meds in a safe contorled manner. today i stopped taking half of my orginal load and cut back on my dosages. i can already start seeing through the fog. the pain of the run did more than any drug could do for me.

I read this post about 3 times today and resisted my urge to reply with "mind your own damn business".

brother never resist an urge to reply to me. i am made of some tought stuff. your honesty is of great value to me.

keep in touch.

Quote Reply
Re: wow [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my kids and nephews have cofronted me about the humilation of my loveeness. i told them tough. i come from a long line of huggers and kissers. my dad and mom killed me with them when i was little. i will do the same to them.

grete is the greatest. i love her with all my heart.

i have to earn a new one. i can't honestly see myself as anything but the ultra-poser.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice! My dad likes to say life is a continuous process of reawakening, a series of close escapes.

There's no end to what you can do with adjustable dumbells as I know you know and when/if you're ready for a variation on a theme, you might get yourself one of these:
[url]http://www.fractionalplates.com/cgibin/edatcat/PDAstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=10.2
[/url]

and maybe a video:
[url]http://dragondoor.com/kettlebells/[/url]

High rep kettlebell swings, snatches, and clean and jerks following a 20-30 min run will melt the extra weight right off you and get you back to feeling like yourself again.

Enjoy the comeback. Pain's just your body's way of letting you know you're still alive.
Quote Reply
Re: not my proudest moment [ashayk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have read about the mad russian at dragondoor. i will look into it. thanks tons!

Quote Reply
Re: wow [ultra-poser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"mom killed me with them when i was little"

dude you gotta be french! we have the same parents! same thing happened to me! I know these super hugging kissing people!

gee, still see myself getting red in front of my school...
Quote Reply
Re: wow [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i used to piss the guys in my squadron off all the time. 'damnit zinn! stop hugging me!' yeah i am a super touchy bastard. i also cry at the drop of a hat. the tigger movie did me and my whole family in.

Quote Reply