Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tupper Lake 1/2 IM
Quote | Reply
Anyone out there ever done this one? If so, do you recommend it? And, most of all, would you mind recommending affordable accomodations in the area?
Quote Reply
Re: Tupper Lake 1/2 IM [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Note: I have not done this race in many years - 10+, so things may have changed.

Great race with really nice small town feel to it. Swim is basic out and back in a nice lake. Bike is rolling out and back, but if you can maintain good momentum it can be a "fast" bike course. The run was very cool in that you ran aling this old abandoned road that has been overgrown for about 1/2 of the run route. The rest of the run is on local roads.

Accomodation: This is a touist area and Lake Placid is not that far away. There is all kinds of nice little motels and rent-a-cabin places in the area.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the race in 01. I loved it. The Adirondacks park is a superb area. I agree with Fleck on everything. The course is fun. The bike is pretty fast (out and back), there is a first tough but short climb then it's rollers. Globally the back part is faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race in the heart of the adirondaks. I agree with everything in the above post. The course is fairly fast particularily the bike with just rolling hills, no huge climbs. The run is moderately hilly. Plenty on nice small motels in Tupper and the neighboring towns like Saranac Lake and Lake Placid. The roads are not closed to traffic but the traffic isn't bad at that hour. The abandoned road is cool but watch your footing. Expect around 800 or so to do the race. Wave start. Nice transition area right on the lake in a park. Chip timed. Carbo dinner the night before at a local school. It was decent. I liked this race and it's adirondak flavor.
Quote Reply
Re: Tupper Lake 1/2 IM [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am doing this race. So keep the info flowing. My training is on pace so not to die during the race. It's a ride what ya got for me . Don't care about race wheels or where my water bottles are or how aero my my safety glasses are just finish strong. A good time is a must.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this race about 5 years ago. Great race. Swim is a triangular out and back, coming back into the sun the whole way. Bike is a lot of small rollers out and back. Run is fun. Very well supported race, both by the locals and on the course, highly recommended. All the cool kids stay at Shaheens Motel which is on the run course.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply