Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best road levers for small hands
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I need to buy a road group for a women with very small hands. Can anyone suggest a group?

Thank you,

B
Quote Reply
Re: Best road levers for small hands [pedalincoastal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went Campy on my current bike and it is much easier to control the shifting. You can also get shims for some break levers that bring them closer to the handlebars she doesn't have to reach as far. Also adjust them so that she doesn't have to hang on with her fingertips to engage the brakes. That means they are "looser" than most people would do but she really needs the full strengh of her fingers to brake hard. I used to cramp on long steep downhills because I was barely holding on with my fingertips. I got them adjusted so I could sqeeze with my full fingers and I felt much safer.

EDIT: My Campy group is Centaur and from 2007. Mid-range priced.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenHS: Feb 14, 09 9:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pre 2009 (not 11 spd) Campy is great for those with smaller hands.

Shimano also makes small STI levers for kids and women, but they can be hard to source...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Best road levers for small hands [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are the Shimano R700 lever, 189 on ebay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto on the Shimano small hand shifters. I tried SRAM and wasn't happy with the shifter size, so I went back to the Shimano shifters. I've been told they're 105-level quality, which I believe, but they work fine. I've also heard that the new Shimano DA (7800) has a reach-adjustment mechanism, but I haven't seen it in person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also consider getting a small hands specific road bar. My wife swapped to one and still kept her regular DA STI but the smaller bar curve made all the difference. I think she got a Deda bar, designed for small hands, but there are several on the market.
Quote Reply
Re: Best road levers for small hands [csb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses....

Were thses SRAM levers the newer ones with the reach adjustment. Also, the frame builder sourced a bar, can't remember the brand but he's on top of this.

Cheers.

Pedalincoastal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, these were last year's Rivals. I was really stretching with them (more so than with regular Shimano shifters), so I decided not to swap them out for Red or Force. (Plus, I wasn't in love with SRAM anyway.)
Quote Reply