Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Great Floridian
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about doing this race. Anyone have any thoughts? Good, bad, indifferent?

"Gravedigger, when you dig my grave could you make it shallow? So that I can feel the rain."
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian [IronWannaBe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great Floridian was my first of two IMs and by far my slowest. Could be the hills. Could be the wind. Could be my inexperience.
But the race was well-run overall. The swim was fast as it was wetsuit legal in a lake with only 1000 or so other people (as opposed to IMFL with 2000).
I think IMFL was a much better race atmosphere. More people, more sponsors, bigger expo, bigger crowds, etc. In other words, more of what you'd expect from an IM event. Plus racing alongside pros is pretty cool in my opinion. I ran past Paula Newby Frasier on the marathon (i was going out, her coming in).
That said, Great Floridian is a nice event and I'd do it again. I would just do an official IM event as my first choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a non M-dot race, I thought this was great. Last year's race had a couple of problems (most notably a short swim and a long bike), but don't let that discourage you. The race is run very well, the weather is usually very good and it's close to Disney and is a pretty fast course.

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a great race, especially for the IM newby. The smaller field helps thin out the packs and let you race your own race. Beware, though, the first 1/2 of the bike is rolling hills that will catch up with you if you try to power through them, especially if its windy at all over the last 1/2 of the bike. Its not an especially fast course, but certainly not as tough as some IM races out there.

I'll be racing it this year again for the third time (last time was '97).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will be my first IM race. I am racing it with a friend who has raced it 3 times and loves it. It is not the fastest course out there I am told but it is one of the friendliest. Look forward to seeing some slowtwitchers out there.

Craig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GFT 2003 will be my first iron distance race. Looks like I'll be seeing some of you there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The swim is nice. Lake Mineola is usually fairly placid and cool enough for a wet suit if you aren't a swimmer. The bike course is very hilly early and very windy late. I'd say it is one of the more difficult bike courses, particularly for folks who have problems with hills. The run is a blessing because the aid stations are very upbeat. Take the chicken broth starting about mile 14-15. Although Fred had a couple of minor glitches last year with a long bike course and short swim course, I'm sure those problems won't happen again.

If you come in late, the Tribe will be there at the finish line to cheer you in.

Good luck!

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply