Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri-scene in Albuquerque?
Quote | Reply
How is the triathlon scene in Albuquerque? How are the roads for cycling?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-scene in Albuquerque? [Harken Banks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
check www.triteamsw.com
and email michael Giudicissi (his email is listed on
the website).
I live in El Paso so can't say about the roads, but the Alb. riders are good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the idea of contacting Mike Giudicissi. He's a friend of mine and a great source of information and inspiration. The roads are pretty good with mountains and flats to ride. The weather is excellent. There are always group rides going somewhere or another. Lots of bike trails and a large tri community. New Mexico has an incredible tri scene. You can race in the Southwest Challenge Series and hit 20 some races a year. Love living in NM. If you come to the area let me know. Todd

1*
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-scene in Albuquerque? [Slider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know much about the tri scene in NM, but I do know this. I just spent a week in Santa Fe before Christmas and they have one of the best pools that I have ever seen that is easliy accessible to the public on a cheap "pay per visit" basis. That area is a great training place outside of winter. I loved it so much that I would consider having a summer base there....nah, it's a thought though.

Mary Uhl lives there, pretty decent Ironman pro.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-scene in Albuquerque? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I visit there a lot on business...but try to avoid winter. Is the Pool a Public pool?

I agree Santa Fe is a nice town... right now, it's a toss up where I will retire at (and/or buy a summer/winter home) - San Diego or Santa Fe.

Also, The SW Challenge series includes triathlons in the Western Part of Texas. Most are easily accessable via S.W. Airlines out of Albuquerque - those would include triathlons in Lubbock (Buffalo Springs), El Paso (numerous tri's), Midland-Odessa, and Amarillo (not SW challenge, I heard they just had there first tri last year). Also, The S.W. Mountain regional championship will be held outside of Roswell (Milkman Tri). This is only a short list of tri's that are held in the region. The distances are far, but you best get use to that idea because everything in the S.W. is far apart.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-scene in Albuquerque? [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes the pool is a public pool. It is a rec center named after someone. Maybe off Rodeo Road? THe whole complex is pretty amazing. The pool has a moveable bulkhead and was set up as two 50 meter pools when I was there. The complex also has weights, a small indoor track, a regulation ice hockey rink and so on. I think it was $3.75 per visit.

I hear you on the retirement their or here in San Diego. Actually if you are considering San Diego, you need to really look at the north county of San Diego, not the city itself. I really liked Santa Fe, but giving up the San Diego area is not going to happen. If anything, I'd like to be able to spend a month or so in Santa Fe each summer.

While I was there, we stayed at a place called the Bishops Lodge. One morning when I was eating breakfast, Val Kilmer was there for breakfast also. A lot of celebrities living in Santa Fe.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll agree that there are many good athletes in NM. Went there for a tune up duathlon before worlds @ WSMR and got my arse handed to me. Some dude avg 47.9kph for the 48km bike. More people passed me on the bike in that one race than in the 4 previous du's I did in AZ. Also saw 2, yep only 2 cars on the whole 48k bike course. I for one will be making the trip there to race often this year. If you live in AZ and want to put your arse on a plate and hand it to someone let me know and we can carpool.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Tri-scene in Albuquerque? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that'd be Ken zimmerman. he is a pretty solid cat 1 rider in NM for Zia Team I believe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The complex in Santa Fe is the Genoveva Chavez Community Center. It's one of the best I've ever seen. One reason the visiting athletes get their butts kicked is Santa Fe is at 7000' altitude. When I was swimming there a few years ago it took me awhile to figure out why I was so slow in the pool.

It is a beautiful area but the winters are definitely not going to be like San Diego.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are very active tri people in Big A. Other web site is poppyfield.com/triclub/. Barry Field is head guy. Group rides Thur and Sun. Roads are mostly very good. Great shoulder tru Canyon next to I-40 and then N and S 14. You can find flat or hills.
Jon
Quote Reply