Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: problems with food [portez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>and also am thinking about participating in the weekly 'how'd you do' thread. feel slightly awkward about the prospect of that, as a guy, but whatever works, works. <<

Feel free to do so. This forum isn't only for women posters.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: problems with food [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I have yet to seek out professional help. This is due to a couple of reasons--first, cost (though to be honest I haven't investigated how my insurance would handle this), secondly I still cling to the (mistaken) notion that this problem can be overcome with less, rather than more, outside assistance. That's not to say that I havent sought out help and counsel, just hesitant to take that next step of a professional. I do, however, recognize the value that a nutritionist or a therapist could provide. They can be the informed and educated outside observer--just like a triathlon coach, they have the outside perspective that can be so invaluable.

As I posted earlier, I have in the past gotten my weight down pretty low for my height and frame size, but I definitely didn't feel as powerful as I did at slightly heavier levels. It is, after all, all about how fast you go, not how much you weigh, that determines who does well at the races....

I saw the link you put up to the 'something fishy' site, and that they had a list of doctors/therapists/RD etc. Found only one in my area, do you have any other links to lists of providers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am lucky to be a college student and have access to a dietician. Therapy is often covered by insurance - you pay a copay. Call your insurance company, as they can reccommend someone in your area, though you may need a referral from an MD first.

I haven't been on SF in a long time because I get frustrated with other people who obsess over food calories and how they look. Yes I see the irony in this... I don't want to be "one of those girls" but I am one. Something I have not been able to reconcile.

It's about how fast you go in races... yes.

Have talked in therapy about "happiness from being thin" and "happiness from other things" and found that the first is less genuine than the second. This is a good realization.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, it would appear that I've got a bit of work to do then! with finding a therapist and/or nutritionist. which do you find more beneficial/'bang for the buck'? i dont know how easy/practical it will be for me at this point to get both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Its about how fast you go in races...yes"

for me it not about looks, its how good it feels to run when lighter. Its amazing how just 2 pounds can make you faster and feel lighter. And actually you ARE really faster its not just in your head. Its real. It is also real how you get to be lighter and whether this is good for you or not and how you get there. Ive been doing some bad things to try to get lighter lately and a lot of it is work stress if you see my other post you know what I mean there. I also need some help and have never said this before. This is a great place and I hope you get the help you need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Therapist first.

Dieticians are great for helping you re-learn how to eat like a normal person, but none of that is any good if you don't deal with the "underlying issues" (how I hate that phrase. heard it too much ;-) and therapy can help you figure out what is causing it all in the first place. Stress, lack of self esteem, . . .

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: problems with food [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am glad you can say, "I need help."

You *deserve* help, too.

so I'm trying very hard not to freak out over dinner right now. Eggplant, I am anxious over eggplant. I cut eggplant parmesan and there were all these awful seeds, like alien eyes. I feel like I have a bunch of alien eyes crawling around in my stomach. I want them OUT.

irrational, evil head of mine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought I'd update....

Went to the psychopharmacologist with my bf today. He didn't yell at me for being non-compliant! :) He says I'm having breakthrough symptoms which is fairly obvious, I suppose (given the past few weeks I've had a few episodes where I think there are people outside my house at night and I become very compulsive about checking the doors and stuff until I realize the people will see me moving around the house so then I go to bed but I can't decide the safest way to sleep. Which I KNOW, even as I'm doing it, is ridiculous, but I can't help it. I'm still scared) in addition to being fairly hyper and slightly emotionally eratic.

He offered me 2 options; 1) stay on Seroquel at a lower dose (500mg) and go on some (I can't remember which ones) mood-stabilizers (actually they are used off-label for that, which is why I don't remember what they are). The risk is that I'd still have some sedation (though manageable) and the other meds might not control my bipolar. Or, 2) I asked about Ziprasidone (Geodon in the States) which is an atypical anti-psychotic like Seroquel but is not supposed to have a sedating effect, and people even lose weight on it, which is exciting since weight gain is normal on anti-psychotics. I guess b/c they 'slow' you down, dunno.

So, I am going to be going on Ziprasidone (through my gp). I'm a bit nervous about it, hopefully it works! I am supposed to give it 1-3 months as a trial.

Otherwise, I'm doing a bit better with eating. My weight is stable, and while I'd like to be losing weight, it's better than gaining I guess :) I am going to be seeking out one-on-one therapy so I'm not sure about OA as it would be a lot to do both, but therapy is something I talked about with my bf on the weekend and we agreed it would be a good idea.
Quote Reply
Re: problems with food [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update. I don't know much about any of those meds.

I ate all that I was supposed to today, even though I really really really did not want to eat dinner.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks for the update. I don't know much about any of those meds.

I ate all that I was supposed to today, even though I really really really did not want to eat dinner.

That is great news! Yay, I'm really happy to read that. Good days are good :)

I'm a bit nervous b/c ziprasidone is a salt, like lithium, so I'm going to have to be careful of hydration. Ahhh, for the days I drank 7L of water not counting workouts when I was on lithium.... However, for all that, it doesn't seem to have the possibility of toxicity if I get dehydrated that lithium does. Side effects could worsen though. So it's something to be aware of but I think should be manageable. I'm nervous about how I'll sleep, especially in the short-term. If I have long-term issues a sleeping pill is a possibility (bipolar people are supposed to get regular sleep as it helps with stability). We'll see! I'm excited to start and nervous about not having seroquel at the same time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I found a GREAT way to lose weight!

Go off Seroquel!

My psychophamarcologist thought it would be great to go off cold turkey since I switched over to another anti-psychotic. My psychopharmacologist might be an idiot (my GP was like 'but you'll go into withdrawal!')

It's 6 days now, and I'm so nauseaus I'm barely eating (I can usually eat in the evenings, whoo), basically I have some fruit in the morning b/c I have to take the Ziprasidone with food to increase it's bioavailability, ideally 500 calories but that is not happening in the mornings, evenings it does though at least. Lunches....meh. Well, yesterday I ate lunch but then I threw up, so it didn't quite count.

I threw up Friday (at the bf's house, in quite the lengthy fashion too), then ran a horrible race Saturday morning which we won't discuss, got some Gravol at the suggestion of the pharmacist - sweet, sweet Gravol - and did okay for the next few days re: vomiting, but did throw up yesterday (I did kind of make myself but that was b/c it was obvious it was coming, I was at work, and didn't have all day), and threw up bile this morning.

At first I wasn't sure if this was all from Seroquel withdrawal or from Ziprasidone - it's a side effect of both - but I realized this morning I forgot to take my Ziprasidone at dinner last night (one good thing about Seroquel, with the whole not sleeping thing, you always knew if you hadn't taken it), so I think we can lay the blame squarely on Seroquel.

Anyways, I've been taking Gravol every 4 hours and I feel okayish then, the problem yesterday was I decided to see if I could go longer than 4 hours, and even though I'd taken Gravol by the time I threw up (I made it to 6 hours) I think it just set everything off. My boyfriend is amazed that I'm functioning and not tired with all the Gravol. But Seroquel is such a strong sedative among other things and I'd been on a high dose for so long a little Gravol isn't going to tire me. The first night, I slept maybe 45 minutes, I'm averaging 4-5 hours a night since. I feel fine sleep-wise though, except it's a bit boring to lie in bed but I keep hoping I'll sleep.

Anyways, at least I'm losing some weight!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, I think its great that you all are sharing these intimate details with each other, and the board.

My 25 year old sister-in-law has an eating disorder. I'd estimate she has been dealing with this for approximately 5 years. I won't go into detail, but she is severely undernourished, anemic and has in the past purged. My wife's other sister and mother have had eating disorders in the past. Neither of them believe that my 25 year

old sister-in-law has an eating disorder. My wife does think she has an eating disorder, but does not think its severe and "will pass". I disagree.

One time, while intoxicated, my wife and I got into an argument with my sister-in-law regarding this issue. Obviously, not successful or appropriate. Other than this, it has never been addressed. This thread is my inspiration to try and learn more about what I/we can do to get her the help she needs.

1 - What steps would you all suggest to get her help?
2 - Who do I need to talk to?
3 - What provided the motivation/inspiration to take action for all of you?
4 - Anything else?

Again, I appreciate this thread and am thankful it is providing the impetus for me to take APPROPRIATE action.

Thanks Ladies!!!

Tom
Quote Reply
Re: problems with food [Gobux3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Find the other thread on this forum - "coping with eating disorders" - the stories in there might answer some of your questions.

SomethingFishy (I think it's http://www.something-fishy.org) is a great resource for support, finding treatment, ANYTHING having to do with eating disorders.

Your best bet, as "only" a brother in law, is to talk to her husband (if she's married?) or your wife, as they are closer to her.

You can try to get her help, but she is an adult and responsible for her own life... be aware that you can't solve this FOR her, and she will liekly be resistant to treatment.

PM me if you have other questions

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on crazyboards today and noticed they have an eating disorder forum. So that might be something to check out too since it is also focused on recovery.

http://www.crazyboards.org/...ms/index.php?act=idx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link.

I just finished reading the ACSM's new position statement on the female athlete triad; they have a new way to present it ('triangular prism' rather than just the triangle... the article explains it well). It's a very technical journal article but I'll see if I can find a link to it in case anyone else is interested. My dietician gave me a printed copy; I read it and made notes - both "academic" and "emotional" and am still processing both of those.

I need to start eating meat again - we're calling it "essential proteins" as the word "meat" I do not like - and after 10 years of vegetarianism this is hard, but it is necessary. Still having trouble with sweets...

Quote Reply

Prev Next