Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wildflower weather- keep your fingers crossed!
Quote | Reply
Can this be true? I've been checking the weather daily now for Bradley, CA (Lake San Antonio) and it's only supposed to get up to 71* through Tuesday the 29th- as far out as the forecast will currently go. This is my first WF, and first 1/2 IM, for that matter. I've heard countless horror stories about 100 degree heat on race day. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up or jinx it, but it looks like the weather may be downright nice on race day!
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower weather- keep your fingers crossed! [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All right! First glimpse of the long range forecast for Saturday May 2 on weather.com. High of 70f, low of 42f, with 0% chance of rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet!! I hope the weather holds out.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower weather- keep your fingers crossed! [brainman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope the weather warms up. I am not found of 70F, I am looking forward to 100F. 70F is cold and will require long clothes for the race.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm more concerned that it will rain. It's raining in Northern/Central CA now and more rain is predicted for next week. I was at LSA in dumping rain and 30 mph wind two weekends ago and it was totally miserable.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower weather- keep your fingers crossed! [Ariel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to Lake San Antonio in March and it was warmer then than it was when I went again this past weekend. I don't live too far away from the lake and I think the area has been a bit cooler and rainier than last year. But I think its going to stay on the cooler side.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower weather- keep your fingers crossed! [Ariel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The forecast seems to be holding steady at highs in the low 70's for race weekend. It'll probably be colder than that for most of the bike leg in the 1/2 IM. What do most people wear in that weather to race? I'm a weather wimp, so in mid 60's weather I usually wear a long sleeve cycling jersey with cycling shorts- maybe even knickers if I'm doing a lot of climbing since it gets colder in the hills. Do people put on that much clothing during a race, or do you just throw on some arm warmers and suffer the cold?

Sorry for the newbie question, but I've been fortunate enough that all my races so far have been in warmer weather so I've always just raced in a skinsuit.
Last edited by: jkatsoudas: Apr 25, 03 14:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really depends on your age group you are in. For example, if you were competing in the highly competitive M30-34 group, you should take some large Hefty garbage bags and some duct tape and create some quick and easy foul weather gear - leg warmers, arm warmers, vest, etc. This is easy to make and very inexpensive and if I recall, John Cobb tested it in the wind tunnel back in '99 and it was shown to have amazing aero properties - the same advantage as a Hed tri-spoke and disk combo.

If you are in M35-39, you can try my approach with is going to be a skin suit with leg warmers if it is really cold, otherwise I will just throw on some arm warmers and pack a rain vest in my saddle bag. However, if you are M30-34, you should really go with the Hefty bag solution.

John
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower weather- keep your fingers crossed! [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, if Cobb tested it I'm all over it! If I cover a Hed tri-spoke and disk with the garbage bag and duct tape, will I be even faster?
Quote Reply