Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The US Kids' Triathlon distances are too short (rant thread) [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't discard the cost issue.

One of the best young triathletes in this country, who has won the USA Triathlon Youth National Championships six years in a row (beating Hunter Kemper's record of 5), and almost wins sprint tris women's divisions outright, at 13 has outgrown her present bike and because a new bike was not in her family's budget was relegated to riding one of the family's 10-year-old heavy steel 7-speed bikes which fit her. Last week, at her first race of the season, was beaten for the first time on the bike by a girl with a brand-new race-ready bike. At that level the kids are on full-on high-dollar race bikes with carbon wheels and some families don't have the several thousand dollars needed for equipment and travel. I know the family personally and they don't live extravagantly.

I wish there was a foundation that supported grassroot athletes like her. Or is there?

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: The US Kids' Triathlon distances are too short (rant thread) [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does USAT or the USOC not offer assistance and funding to developing athletes?

If a kid is truly this talented are they approaching sponsors? Do bike companies not sponsor youth athletes?

Is there not a local bike store that will sponsor the kid if they are this talented?

Does USAT and the USOC sponsor or offer assistance to developing athletes?
Quote Reply
Re: The US Kids' Triathlon distances are too short (rant thread) [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, like all sports i would not discard the cost issue at the highest level. but at the participatory level it is a bunch of hooey for most. there are far far many more young potetial tri-heads out there at the lifestyle participatory level than the national/world level. we do this as a hobby and for fun and health and for the good company and character we find in it - not to win world championships. good for those that do.

in the cases i was noting the mother crying to me about a 30 dollar fee for the next event was doing so underneath a hairdo/dye job worth 50 - 80 bucks at least - maybe more for all i know. that is what i'm talking about.
Quote Reply
Re: The US Kids' Triathlon distances are too short (rant thread) [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh yeah - brand new suburban, leather seats, too. hooey, like i say.
Quote Reply
Re: The US Kids' Triathlon distances are too short (rant thread) [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As for how the Aussies got in triathlon...there is no strict formula as the athetes come from different backgrounds (e.g. Miles Stewart was a rollerskater, Walton was a suf lifesaver (ocean swimming), Loretta Harrop was a swimmer) although swimming tends to be the most common. The Triathlon Australia website has some athlete profiles which provide some insight: http://www.triathlon.org.au/Athletes.aspx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude... you've got car "issues". LOL!

Quote Reply
Re: Sponsorship [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Though when you start talking sponsorship for 15 year olds, you start getting some elgibility questions popping up. In a lot of state high school association rulebooks, taking sponsorship money or anything more than a minimal amount of product will make you inelgible for high school sports. You also get problems under NCAA rules.

So if they take the sponsorship money, they can end up not training and racing with their high school track and cross country teams. And the elite high school swimmer isn't going to want to mess up their chance for a full ride scholarship at Stanford ($100,000+ normal price tag) or some other top tier program even if they could get a really cool $5,000 bike in the process.
Quote Reply
Re: Sponsorship [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell, dont get me wrong I dont think kids that could be looking at full rides should be doing anything not related to swimming.

No tri's and no XC.

That said I find it hard to believe that kids that are selected to represent their country are unable to obtain sponsorship through national governing bodies. I dont know that they cant but surely if a kid has that much talent, someone should be able to step up and provide support with out jeopardizing eligibility.
Quote Reply
Re: Sponsorship [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've spoken at length to officials from the NCAA, USAT and USOC, and the rules regarding "sponsorship" are more lenient than you think for swimming and running. The real expense, however, is in the cycling, and under all three governing bodies you can receive virtually anything regarding bikes and it will not affect your eligibility. So, if Specialized gives you a Cippolini replica bike, you can still swim for Stanford, or Texas or Florida. Moreover, "sponsorship" as it were, in the cycling industry is usually not a free bike or equipment but an opportunity to purchase them at a greatly reduced price (often referred to as "grassroots programs" or "pro-team discounts").

The USAT and USOC do have development programs, but if you really look into them they are very limited and start pretty high up the ladder... e.g. elite athletes... so there is not much "development".

We need a wealthy triathlon philanthropist (Dan, your spread looks pretty fancy... you've got some bucks to spare don't you?) to set up a foundation to fund or subsidise up-and-coming triathletes.

Quote Reply
Re: Sponsorship [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually more than a specific philanthropist why are stores and manufacturers just simply not offering kids these deals.

I know for a fact, but Tom Demerly would be able to confirm or deny this, that the difference between cost and retail is very substantial. Why would a local store in the case of your friends kid whos very talented not offer them the bike at cost or why dont they approach a manufacturer for the same deal.

You and I both know that kids playing soccer, tennis etc etc dont pay for squat once they reach a certain level. I accept that Prince, Wilson, Nike and Addidas can afford this more easily but there must be some Tri companies that could step up to the plate.
Quote Reply
Re: Sponsorship [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I proposed today to her dad that he try to make some arrangement with a LBS, maybe even to just "loan" the bike to her, and in return they get the exposure of "sponsoring" a national champion. He's getting on it.

Regarding mark-up, and Tom can certainly comment on this, I understand that the margins are very small in the bike business, and that these are tough times in the bike industry. I agree, however, that the industry should do what it can to support grassroots development. I think to some degree it does, but it is not very visible, and the discounts are nominal. Again, maybe a function of the small margins.

Quote Reply
Re: Sponsorship [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was floored at the difference between cost and retail but I only know one example and the difference was very substantial.

My bet is that there are people out there that will sponsor a good athlete if they put forth the effort to find it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what happened to " its the motor" ? recognizing that amany kids get trick bikes - how much of that is needed? even a disc wheel is rentable. a little fort frame can be had for a couple hunnie, for example. parts are transferrable from a small frame to bigger ones. i reckon if my girl were that good i would give her all my shIt and ride around on a bunch of old friction shifting stuff. take showers at the ymca and sleep in the van like cat 2 racers everywhere, etc. etc. dig up outside sponsors from the hometown - my wife had a "body polish" firm sponsor our girl's team with fees and clothes and they all learned how to represent a company in addition to themselves in the process. there are ways. and, you damn sure better not be whining while you are sporting a 90 dollar hairdo in your new suburban with power moon roof if you want sympathy from me !!! :)

mostly i feel it is a lifestyle/choice/priority issue at the personal level and i know this from experience.

at the broad scope level i feel it is up to US, as in you and me, as the sport's community - i base this on the tremendous amounts of time i see football dads, and soccer mom's putting out every week day in and day out. until tri-parents do the same there is little grounds to cry, IMHO.

hard core, i guess. choice, sacrifice, responsibilty, and effort. what do we want to teach these kids, anyway ??
Last edited by: t-t-n: Apr 21, 03 20:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My take,

I coordinate a lot of kids tris, among other sports, and short of promoting a team relay a tri does not attract very many kids simply becuse it lacks the social, and belonging, aspect kids want. YES cost is an issue for a lot of parents, although I have two boys and I would certainly be willing to invest in their efforts every weekend, even at my own sacrifice- too many parents do not wish to give up their own 'things' for their kids!

Most importantly Triathlon is not a big deal, it does not demand great air time on TV or even the Net- it does not attract large purses in relation to other sports. Which brings me to the Australian angle- George will back me on this I am sure. Aussie children grow up dreaming of playing for the Socceroos, or the Wallabies, or the Aussie Cricket team. They do so out of sheer pride, not money, greed, or any gain. Aussies excel because they "want to". I met 9 of the current Australian Rugby team four months ago while coaching, and they were awesome- all playing every game like it could be their last. The Aussie Cricket, Rugby, Hockey, Womens Netball, Swimming, and Men's Field Hockey teams are all world Champs... and we are not talking about fringe sports here, and the majority are AMATEUR. U.S sport is motivated by money. Children are driven towards Baseball, football, Hockey, and Basketball- the latter being the greatest scourge. Todays child always expects something in return for their efforts, what happened to simply going out there and participating and being happy with your achievements??? More pride in what we do- and not how we do it.

If triathlon is to become a bigger thing- it needs more VOLUNTEERS- people to push it as a fun thing . As for the excelling teenager strugling with equipment, I am sorry but there are no excuses for leaving that kind of abiility out in the cold- shame on those involved.

Weeman
Quote Reply
Re: Sponsorship [weeman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
weeman i agree with many of your points. but, i must disagree MOST emphatically with those blasts at " kids these days", and american kids, and the issue of the need for external reward. as i say, i have driven a van full of kids to mt bike races and triathlons. i have helped these kids do the races, and i have driven them home. there is no money or recognition for their efforts - by and large. the mt bike racers are in the woods where nobody can see them, and their classmates don't even know what the sports ARE !! yet, they beg us to take them back. they burst with enthusiasm at their efforts. i am certain nearly every one would still be doing it if their parents supported them.

as a matter of fact one the things i like BEST about these activities for kids is the LACK of the ususal team/school trappings. and, as i see it most of the kids actually enjoy this too. they get to do a tri, or even a leg of a tri - look around them there at the venue and maybe on teevee when an IM is on and go " cool, i am a PART of that" they are racers, invoved in something that isn't about scoring chicks, or impressing friends and boosters, or even winning or losing. they K-N-O-W past lip service that it is about the effort, and not the result. in my experience american kids do just fine at all of this. american parents i am not so sure about, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Sponsorship [weeman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its really funny that you mention the pride.

The biggest sporting events that Oz, NZ, UK and SA participate in are the Soccer World Cup, Rugby 5 Nations, World Cup and test series, Cricket World Cup and the Ashes. OZ / NZ at any sport.

Americans dont get worked up about any international sporting events, the Olympics but thats about it.

In fact the only sporting event I have seen in this country that generates any fervor is the Ryder Cup, absolutely the most riveting passionate event that the US plays internationally and you want to know what the American players complain about? Not getting paid and giving up and week on tour and their checks, they did as well. It was so funny, European players would pay to play, slit their wrists and give up their first born and the Americans are pissed that they are losing a weeks check.....

What ever happened to having pride in playing for your country.

There are no team sports that the US play internationally that generate anything like the interest of Cricket, Soccer or Rugby do abroad and it has an awful lot to do with the way the system is set up here.
Quote Reply
Re: Sponsorship [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tim, there are always exceptions to the rule- and you make yours very clear and I agree with you. I do not wish to tar an entire group with one brush. I, too, have some students who fit into your bracket, though they are rare. Your own commitment and efforts for these kids will be reward enough.

There are too few kids who value the sentiments and sincerity behind an adult's 'pat on the back' or 'congratulations'. Maybe kids are told 'well done' and 'congratulations' too often that it has lost its impact and meaning?

Weeman
Quote Reply

Prev Next