Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A Womanly Equipment Question
Quote | Reply
Hey. I don't know how many women are currently on the forum, but I have a basic female apparel question. I am a beginner, doing my first half tri in August. Up to now I have played rugby and other contact sports, but have never had to just run for long distances. I'm currently a double D cup and find that after about the first half mile, things start becoming painful from the bouncing. Do you have any recommended bras, etc? Also, if I end up with some kind of industrial engineered thing, how does that work with the swimsuit and transitions? Thanks!

Becca
Quote Reply
Re: A Womanly Equipment Question [blg119] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
although I am not a woman, I have some experience in recommending the right stuff for woman like you. I would first of all recommend going someplace like www.title9sports.com

They have a good variety of sports bras for different shapes and sizes and different sports. With that I would then get a one piece tri suit like the Desoto Skin suit or similar and wear the right jog bra and one piece suit for the whole race.

Make sure with the jogbra that you get that it is one that has wicking abilities and that you can swim in it also, not one of the heavier cotton type that will act as a sponge when it gets wet.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my wife got the Terry catolog check 'em out at: www.terrybicycles.com

The specialize in female sports apparel, they might be able to help.

Henk

Rugby eh? Wow

Alex Jonker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rugby? Good grief! :) Just remember, you don't have to kick anyone's ass in triathlon, although sometimes it comes in handy on the swim! j/k

Good luck!

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: A Womanly Equipment Question [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last time I checked I was a little boy, but I'd still like to add something about DeSoto.

I remember a few months back there was a post about jog bras and Athena sizing. (Now, this is not meant to offend Becca but double D cups may put her, upper body wise, in the Athena sizing world.) Cathy Morgan was saying that, at 40C, it made her giggle to only think of trying to fit *one* boob in a DeSoto (or Zoot) skinsuit.

Dre'
Quote Reply
Re: A Womanly Equipment Question [Dr. Dre'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your help, guys. I'll check all those out. And I also looked up the discussion from February, so that'll be a big help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found this article as runner's world.

http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,4-117-0-851,00.html

Since the testers didn't hop in a pool after their runs, I'm not sure that all of the bras would be great for tri, but some of them are all synthetic and look promising. Team Estrogen, Activasports, Title 9 Sports and maybe even Iron Girl are on-line retailers for women that have good descriptions of the support you can expect from various bras.

Good luck,
Meg.

Meg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I work , the first mile is the worst for me as far as pain. Compression bras are the worst, it makes it harder to breathe and I'm only a B! Try title 9, mysportsbra.com (they do great phone consultations), or a local running shop that has a female on staff and see what she has to offer. Good luck and let me know if you have any success with anything to pass onto friends.

Happy Easter!

You win some.
You loose some.
You wreck some.
A-
Quote Reply
Re: A Womanly Equipment Question [Dr. Dre'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct. DeSoto, Zoot and Iron Girl stuff ain't made for us well-endowed gals. Title 9 and Road Runner Sports are great places to start. Champion has good stuff too, but for running only (mostly cotton, so wouldn't want to swim with it).

The more important question is....when you lose weight, why is it the boobs go first???? ;-)

clm, currently in NYC

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: A Womanly Equipment Question [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found that the Iron-Girl Plus Size bras ROCK ... they've taken me through 4 years of swim bike run - lots of support, little squish - they dry quick and they're awesome.

Inga Andriessen

Tri Hard !
Quote Reply