Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike est time for IM Please help
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone. I am doing my first IM in coeur d'alene and I am having a hard time setting my bike goals.I am pretty new to biking so I have no references. Here is my question.On a hilly windy course(an out and back)do you make up time with a tailwind that you lose with the headwind? Same with hills?Or is it slower than a semi-flat course with little wind.I have no idea what sort of goal to set for my bike leg.I live in Montana and do my traing alone. It seems that every bike cousre I do here is with long climbs and strong wind(especially on the high plains.)Even with the hills I do not know how high I am climbing. Here is an example.Yesterday for training did a half IM(only one rest day before,no real recovery after a couple of build weeks)On an out and back, first climbed quite a bit then on a flat, hit hard headwind.In 39-19 gear and sometimes only going 12.5mph.At 26 mile turn around was averging 14.1mph took 1:50min turned around and average next 26 miles at just under 26mph took 1:05 finished the 56 mile in in 3:05 (last 4 miles through town)at ave 17.8. Should I double this time for my goal for IM? Or wil I be quicker? On those climbs I know by signs that a couple were 7 to 8 degree for a mile or two plus long graduals.Also ran my 13.2 just above 9min miles.I know I am asking for guesstimates here.Whats your best guesses. Oh by the way avg hr for bike 140, for run 146 I am 43. Thanks

By the way new to the forum(couple of weeks) appreciate all the help hear.Cudo"s for the people who started this and keep it going.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike est time for IM Please help [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"On a hilly windy course(an out and back)do you make up time with a tailwind that you lose with the headwind? Same with hills?"

Not even close! You will be much slower on a hilly/windy course - you never make up the speed lost on the up hill and/or up wind section on the down hill and or down wind segment. The math geniuses can explain the physics.

As far as a time goal for IMCDA bike, my recommendation is don't do it. First, time can be greatly influenced by race day conditions, wind, rain and temp, being some. Second, bike time goals have a way of translating into slow marathon run (walk) times.

Better is to have a goal heart rate or perceived exertion goal. The Mark Allen 180-age formula for IM heart rate is maligned as simplistic by some, but I've found it works. It's macho to have a fast IM bike spilt but it's ususally faster to be conservation on the bike and run well AND it it ALWAYS more fun.

Irony can be humorous, but it does not have to be.

"I've always said that an Ironman is a reflection of your character" - Kevin Moats
Quote Reply
Re: Bike est time for IM Please help [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only been there once, and it was at night, but, it sure looked hilly...especially how that mountainside goes right straight down into the lake! Anyway, as far as goals go...you'll beat more than half of the people, judging from the numbers you posted. Just as the previous poster wrote, you don't make up 100% for headwinds or hills. Also, just go by HR, like you've been doing, and you will be better off. You'll be done when you're done, probably around 6:20 on the bike, give or take 15 minutes. The scenery around there is so beautiful, and it is your first IM, so don't miss looking around and enjoying being healthy enough to be out there, your time will be just fine! Wish I could be out there, too!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply