Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tom?: New Bike Fit
Quote | Reply
All-

I am looking for a new bike and want to do it the correct way and buy one that fits, unlike my previous bike purchases. The question is, "how do I do this when my LBS has such a limited selection of styles and sizes?" I assume that I'd go to my LBS and have a bunch of measurements taken and then order the bike, if my measurements correspond with the bike's. The problem is that I haven't ridden the bike at that point at least not one that fits. It seems to be a real 'chicken and egg' quandary, but I am sure that I am missing something very obvious. Help!

Thanks much,

David
Quote Reply
Re: Tom?: New Bike Fit [litherland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMHO Test rides provide little or no usable information. I do not use them to evaluate a bike for myself, and I never do test rides her in the store. To me, it is an irresponsible way to sell bikes. A key question to ask yourself when you are considering a test ride is: "What information will I take away from this test ride?" Most people say something like "I want to see what it feels like..." The "feel" of a bike (and fit) during a test ride are almost always misleading. The bike is not correctly configured and, you may bring some bad posture/riding habits to the table. Here is how to conduct a test ride correctly: Get a set of measurements to determine best frame size, geometry and design. Then, have the bike configured with the proper stem, handlebars, aerobars, seatpost, saddle, cranks, gearing and pedals. Once the bike has been configured to these specifications then ride it for a minimum of three weeks, three to four times a week. Once you have finished that evaluation do the same evaluation with the two or three next most likely bike candidates. Clearly, that is a process no retailer is willing to enter into. Or, you could enlist the assistance of a person who has done those evaluations and also understands bike fit specifically for triathletes and road riders and has actually done some of the events you are interested in doing- then take their recommendation as to the appropriate bike to buy. Let that person know you are willing to accept their recommendation only contingent on them accepting full responsibility for the outcome. If the bike acheives or exceeds your expectations, thank them. If not, talk to them about it, and hold them accountable for improving your ownership experience. If you take a test ride to "feel" what the bike is like, then you are 100% responsible for the quality of the ownership experience. I buy bikes for a living. I've bought thousands and fit thousands of people. Who would you rather have responsible for your buying decision- a guy who has done it thousands of times (me) or a guy who is doing for the first, second or third time (you)? Test rides are the weak saleperson's way to sell bikes. I feel they are an irresponsible way to get a person on the optimal bike. If it were only that easy...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tom?: New Bike Fit [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom-

I knew that I would get an honest, thoughtful response.

Thank you,

David
Quote Reply
Re: Tom?: New Bike Fit [litherland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are Litherland from Vancouver I know exactly what you are talking about, having been there myself recently. Even thought about going down to IMCDA to visit the Insideout guys, but in the end found a tri friendly LBS. Of course no test ride but sizing and then recommendations from the LBS.

Re: Tom?: New Bike Fit [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SimpleS-

Different Litherland, I'm in Virginia.

David Litherland
Quote Reply
Re: Tom?: New Bike Fit [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey SimpleS, which store are you talking about? I can't quite afford a trip to Michigan to see Tom, but I would like to get my position dialed a bit better. Do you have a recommendation for a good bike fitter?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply