Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ACL Recovery
Quote | Reply
I just had my ACL replaced using my Patela Tendon. I am looking for opinuos from others that have had this procedure done and what their return to triathlons has been like.

Bobby
Quote Reply
Re: ACL Recovery [RIMangum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the ACL reconstruction club. I did mine in '92 (ACL/MCL) and had the middle third Patellar tendon graft repair. I also had the MCL sutured and the lateral meniscus tear repaired. My return to competitive triathlon has been good, I have done several races including five IM's with two Hawaii qualifications. You can make a complete recovery and do well in the sport. However, I'm going to be honest with you, you have your work cut out for you! The main thing initially is getting your range of motion back, both extension and flexion. You did not mention how long it has been since your surgery. If it has been recent you are in this phase of the recovery. The next important step is getting the strength built back up in the involved leg. This is a very long and difficult process, that takes patience and discipline. Stick with the rehab protocol. I began cycling soon after the surgery on a stationary bike. This is going to be a great place to get you fitness and strength back. I was swimming fairly soon too, but no breast stroke kick. Kicking with fins is a good strength movement but be cautious about overdoing it. Eventually you will be running, but at first it feels pretty awful. Afet a few months and into the next year you will feel up to doing a race again. You will always be susceptible to tendidnits in the knee, and will always be working on flexibility. But stay with it and good luck! My e-mail is coffey42@attbi.com if I can be of further help or encouragement
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the "middle third process" done in 1987 after a ski accident to repair my ACL. Since then I have done a lot of racing, including several 100+ mile ultras. My recovery took some time, about 8 months to full operational capability. Physical therapy was the cornerstone of my recovery. I worked hard in physical therapy and it made a big difference. the surgery today is substantially less invasive and the recovery protocols different and more aggresive. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the injury, the quality of the repair and your level of dedication to therapy you can resonably expect a 100% recovery given the right circumstances. Mine is 100%. I have no problems. Good luck, follow the doctor's advice and stick aggresively to therapy, no matter how tedious and boring.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: ACL Recovery [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My operation was done on Tuesday of this week. Currently I am close to completly straighening my leg. Also I am at about 105% at bending my knee. My injured my knee 7 weeks prior to surgury and have spent the time in between building up the strenght in my leg. Currently I am exceding the average. I feel this had a lot to do with how strong my legs were. Of course this is the beginning of the process so only time will tell.

Bobby
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to beware of: Athletes develop a "testing" mentality with an injury. They will continuously "test" the injury in small ways in an effort to "see how much better it is". It is important to be careful with the injury and allow the appropriate time for recovery. Use your therapist as a resource but don't go beyond what they recommend. These repairs are delicate at first, but become extremely durable. The recovery will take a certain amount of time. Avoid the temptation to rush it. Give it the time it takes to heal while attending to your therapy thoroughly and dillingently. If you apply the same discipline to your recovery that most triathletes do to their training you will do very well, much better than most ACL patients. Good luck with this, speaking as a former ACL patient I think your chances for 100% recovery are very, very good- excellent. See you at the races soon. Keep up the reports.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply