Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

St. Croix 1/2 IM
Quote | Reply
  I am looking for descriptions of the course for the St. Croix 1/2 IM from people who have done it in the past. Also, I am worried about my gear choices for the Beast. I have 650c wheels with a 39x23 as my easiest gear. I would prefer not to add smaller gears if I don't have to. Also, I have heard that the course is a bit rough. Is this true? Any tire / tire pressure recommendations would be appreciated. Also, are there places to go to the bathroom on the course - if I am drinking a lot of fluids, I am not sure I can hold it for almost 3 hours of biking?
Quote Reply
Re: St. Croix 1/2 IM [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon, I should preface this by telling you I have neither done the race or been to St. Croix. However, I am entered this year and researched the event extensively, although I can't race now because my store is too busy and I have several big projects pending. Anyway...

Pavement is rough: Stick to minimum 23mm tires at no more than 115 PSI. Tubulars are prefered.
Gearing: 39X23 on 650c's will probably do it, but it might not be pretty.
Are there any places to go to the bathroom on the course? Dude, come-on, the world is your bathroom.

That's my armchair analysis. I wish I could join you. Good luck be careful, have a great trip and a great race!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: St. Croix 1/2 IM [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I am curious about your PSI comment. I plan on using my race wheels, which are HED3 Tubulars with Conti Sprinter tires. I usually pump these babies up to 140psi for races. You recommend tubulars with no more than 115 psi.

Though the logic may be obvious to others, I am not sure why a softer tire would lead to a faster bike split. Can you expand on that thought?

Thanks,

-- Joe

PS: I am heading to St. Croix for the first time as well and will be staying at the Buccaneer. I remember reading that you were going. Are you still, but simply not doing the race, or are you now not going?
Quote Reply
Re: St. Croix 1/2 IM [Jobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Joe, Unfortunately I have three major projects nearing their completion phase right now and won't be able to make the trip. I was really looking forward to it. Maybe next year.

This has been an ongoing debate and source of controversy on Slowtwitch and elsewhere: Tire pressure. My (admittedly rudimentary) understanding (or perhaps, misunderstanding) is that higher tires pressures result in a rougher ride, preventing the tire from easily deforming around minor obstacles in the pavement and creating higher rolling resistance. I was skeptical of this until I started racing cyclocross. I showed up at a race with 50 psi in my cross tires and had a terrible race, especially on the washboarded, hard packed sections I thought would be fastest with higher pressure. My associates, Michael R. Rabe and Dave Koesel (Superdave on this forum) counseled me that running 38 psi would be adequate for my body weight. I thought this was ridiculously low. I tried 45 and it was better, but still not right. Just about the time I was ready to put 60 psi in there The two of them convinced me to do a practice lap at a race at 38 psi. It was amazing. I actually won that race. I took third in the series. What was more amazing is our ability to go 28 mph on cyclocross bikes on pavement with 38 psi in the tires. These tires have a higher volume of air than a 700 X 23c road tire (or 650 for that matter) but the principle seems similar. I generally run my tires around 110 around here, never over 120 in tubulars in a race, and mostly less. Unfortunately my argument is entirely anecdotal. Perhaps someone with a more scientific understanding of the principles involved can either prove or debunk my experiences. I would be interested.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply