Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Highway etiquette
Quote | Reply
Maybe its because I spend so much of my life on the road, but people are either intentionally rude or just stupid.

There's a couple of things that bug me.

1. Why do people drive 55 in the left lane of the interstate? Some days I wish I drove a beater pickup truck and could gently guide them to where they need to be.... the off ramp.

2. Truckers can be friendly or rude. The rude ones will pull out in front of me to get around a slower truck even though they see me coming at my customary 77 mph. I have to get on the binders to keep from becoming part of the cargo they're hauling. I have a CB and ask when they do this if they would like me to clean their mirrors for them. One note, I do not have this problem with the Canadian truckers.

3. Traffic gets backed up. I'm in the left lane, its going slow, there's 20 or so cars in front of me in both lanes, so we're not going anywhere fast. The idiot behind me decides they will move things along by riding my ass and pulling out into the breakdown lane. I want to yell "wake up, i'm not the one slowing this process down."

I did find a clever way to get the toll booth gate to go up quicker while on the Skyway in Chicago a few years ago. A colleague of mine and I were on our way home from a meeting during rush hour, and there was a guy next to us honking his horn in an effort to get the gate to go up quicker. After his honking, it went up, thus his obnoxiousness was reinforced.

Rocketboy
Quote Reply
Re: Highway etiquette [Rocketboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I'm with ya Rocket. Idiot drivers "force" me to scream out loud nearly every day on my 35 mile drive home. Idiot moves to add to your list:

1. Not using the acceleration lane--idiots either stop when they could be using the lane or worse yet cut out into full speed traffic before they need to, forcing you to scream. It's called an acceleration lane for a reason.

2. Not using turn signals--idiots do not use their signals, or almost worse, use them once they already forced you to scream. They're called turn signals for a reason.

3. Not safely merging into a turn lane--idiots wait until the last possible second (trying to get ahead I guess) to merge into the turn lane, usually cutting a safe driver off and forcing you to scream.

Almost time for my daily scream....
Quote Reply
Re: Highway etiquette [Bill Young] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

1. Not using the acceleration lane--idiots either stop when they could be using the lane or worse yet cut out into full speed traffic before they need to, forcing you to scream. It's called an acceleration lane for a reason.

Exactly. You are getting onto a highway where everyone is going 75 miles an hour. Pick it up or you are going to get both of us run over.
Quote Reply
Re: Highway etiquette [Rocketboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I did find a clever way to get the toll booth gate to go up quicker while on the Skyway in Chicago a few years ago. A colleague of mine and I were on our way home from a meeting during rush hour, and there was a guy next to us honking his horn in an effort to get the gate to go up quicker. After his honking, it went up, thus his obnoxiousness was reinforced.
That guy would hate me on the toll roads. I do the Indianapolis --> Madison, Wi drive about 5 times a year to visit my parents, paying 7 or 8 tolls each way. I use this time to get rid of my accumulation of pennies (did you know the toll booths in Chicago take pennies?). Yeah, it takes a few seconds longer for the machine to count 40 pennies instead of a quarter, nickel and dime... :)
Quote Reply