Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Spoke Wheels???? info?
Quote | Reply
I have found a set of carbon trispoke wheels for sale. I can get the front wheel for 200 bucks. I cant remember the name of the company, but it was some "highperformance wheel".

Does anyone know how different wheels out there compare to the hed3's, and what you would pay for a devcent used tubular front wheel? Ill try and get the name soon.

Other option is to get a new zipp 404 for an extra 400-500 bucks.

I think i am going to go with the renn rear.

Or, i can wait for the renn front at some later date, and race disc with a ksyrium on the front for now???

Anyone have any ideas?

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Last edited by: Kevin_Queens: Apr 17, 03 16:54
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Spoke Wheels???? info? [Kevin_Queens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin,

I believe the Specialized tri-spoke essentially is the Hed tri-spoke. Hed bought it and has made a few minor improvements to my understanding. They pop up on ebay regularly. Don't know anything about the others. If buying a second hand tri-spoke make sure that it's still true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beware. There are "trispoke" wheels out there that are really bad. The old Spin wheels come to mind. The Specialized TriSpokes ARE the Hed wheels and are every bit as good, if a bit aged at this point. Hed took over the rights to that design when Specialized got out of the wheel business. I sold a pair of used Spec TriSpokes this year for a real bargain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to re-iterate, be REALLY careful...there are old "three-spoke" wheels out there that are NOT the specialized/hed design. If the airfoil blades do not look EXACTLY like the hed, keep your money in your pocket. If they are in any way rounded, or if they seem to narrow as they approach the rim, they are the other design whch has absolutely zero aero benefit. I have a friend who was ripped off by a bike shop in NJ on a pair of those...he was told they were hed trispokes...

Philbert

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Spoke Wheels???? info? [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> they are the other design whch has absolutely zero aero benefit.

Does this apply to the old Zipp 3000, too?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Spoke Wheels???? info? [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I will beware, as i know they are not hed/specalized's.

Guess i keep waiting for the renn deep wheel to make an appearance.

-kevin

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Spoke Wheels???? info? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was told by a tri shop that the specialized wheels are significantly heavier. The guy called the "dogs". I don't think he was trying to sell me a set.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Spoke Wheels???? info? [ramdough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently John Cobb claimed they weren't all that fast under the Specialized name but once they became Hed's they instantly became the next fastest thing to a disc. They may have been a little heavier but not all that much. Take these stories with a grain of salt.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Spoke Wheels???? info? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Apparently John Cobb claimed they weren't all that fast under the Specialized name but once they became Hed's they instantly became the next fastest thing to a disc. They may have been a little heavier but not all that much. Take these stories with a grain of salt.

Absolutely. Having ridden both the Specializedand the Hed wheels, I'd say there is NO difference in the riding. For Hed to update the materials and somewhat lighten the design only makes sense. After all, the original wheels date from the early '90s. Carbon fiber and rim extrusions have come a long way since then. But the functionality of my '94 Specialized TriSpokes and my '00 Hed 3s was the same. Was that bike shop guy even old enough to have ridden on the original TriSpokes???? What a load of unmitigated horses**t to claim that the Specialized wheels were dogs!
Quote Reply