Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

has anyone torn their Achilles tendon?
Quote | Reply
How was the surgery? The rehab? And how long before you were back in action? FYI, I tore mine on a trail run new years eve. Have already been to the Dr and the MRI results are grim.
Quote Reply
Re: has anyone torn their Achilles tendon? [tab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tore mine. I can only speak for my case, and since I'm in the Navy, I'm not sure I got the same treatment you'll get. That said, the surgery was no big deal. My surgeon actually cut into me, but I guess there's probably less invasive repair methods, depending on your tear. After surgery, I was put in a cast from toe to crotch, with my leg partially bent and my toe partially pointed to keep stress off the healing tendon. I was in that cast for about 6 weeks, and then in a short cast (below the knee) for another 4-6 weeks. After that, I was in a boot with a cane for awhile, because the tendon was stiff and I couldn't put my heel all the way onto the ground. The boot allowed me to work that range of motion over time until I could walk normally.

Rehab included massage and e-stim, range of motion exercises to help the flexibility, and tons of stuff to rebuild the strength in my leg that had atrophied while I was in the cast. As I got better, I did a lot of balance board stuff and bike, and I did a good amount of the upper body ergometer (basically you sit and pedal with your arms). I would say that I was back into action and able to do some sports or running within about 6 months, and pretty much back to normal capacity in 8-10 months.

I had my surgery the night I tore mine, so maybe mine was a worse tear than yours, if you've been able to wait several days. I couldn't walk at all on mine, although it didn't separate completely.

Not fun, but in the long run, there's no reason not to make a full recovery.

Good luck.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: has anyone torn their Achilles tendon? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowguy, thanks. 8-10 months is a long time BUT if I can have a full recovery its worth it! I can stand on mine and do a sort of gobble walk. I'm in a boot to keep the swelling down. The Dr said it would require surgery. Basically cut around the tear and sew it up. We didn't really go into recovery, guess I will find out tomorrow. I know I'm out of the Austin marathon for sure and probably the New Orleans 70.3 but they said buffalo springs is possible. I guess it depends on how good of a girl I am with my revovery and rehab!

Thsynk you again for the reply, its good to know a full recovery is possible!
Quote Reply
Re: has anyone torn their Achilles tendon? [tab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The Dr said it would require surgery. Basically cut around the tear and sew it up."

Sounds like what I had. Good luck. If you can walk in a boot, it doesn't sound like that bad a tear. Your recovery might go faster. Make sure you do all the home stuff they give you, like massage and vitamin E lotion to soften the scar tissue. Also, after the surgery, I had to stay in bed for a week or so with the leg elevated. I ended up turning my couch lengthwise toward the TV so I could put my foot up on the arm of the couch. Then I napped on the couch or in bed for about a week, high on the vicodin they gave me. You probably want to find someone to take care of you some (make you food, help you get around the house a little). I was surprised at the little things I didn't think of, like how to take a shower with a full leg cast. If you have questions, drop me a note and I'll try to remember what I did.

For what it's worth, I was doing some pretty good 8 and 9 mile runs this summer with no problems. I do have to stretch more beforehand, and some days, if it feels tight, I do the elliptical instead of a run. That could just be me getting older though. However, the torn achilles is about twice as think as the non-injured one. It's probably stronger than before.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: has anyone torn their Achilles tendon? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a complete rupture in 2007. I had an experimental surgery done using what I think was called an "Accu-Clamp" or something of the like. I have a 1 1/2" scar and that's it.

I was in a hard cast for 8 weeks, then a walking boot cast for another 12 weeks. I still have a tremendous amount of atrophy a year and a half later. When my cast came off, my calf was GONE.

Just be sure to follow your re-hab instructions to a T. I'll admit, I kinda slacked thinking that biking and running would help bring me back, but that wasn't the case.

I did B2B in November, and because of the atrophy, I now have a stress fracture in the same leg. So don't rush your comeback and hit all of your rehab goals.

Good luck!!

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply