Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chorus or Ultegra gruppo?
Quote | Reply
I've read the articles comparing campy and shimano but I want to hear some opinions on why you like one over the other. I'm looking into building up an 02 Soloist it comes with Ultegra but I am considering going to Campy Chorus.
Quote Reply
Re: Chorus or Ultegra gruppo? [Luntzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of Campagnolo and use it on my own bikes. If I had to start over, I'd likely use ShimaNO for the bikes because repair and servicing the items is easier. There are more shop familiar with the equipment, and most "loaner" wheels are going to use a ShimaNO freehub body.

-Dave

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used both Ultegra and Chorus and either choice is great. I've used Dura-Ace as well. Last year I put 10-speed Chorus on my road bike the machine on which I do 95% of my training, while my Cervelo P2 has Shimano.

I can say with certainty I've never used a better groupset than 10-speed Chorus (2002 model). I love the feel of the cranks, the feel of the shifter lever/button, and the precision of the shifting. I also like the braking power of the calipers and the durability of Campy brake pads. I couldn't be more pleased with the Chorus setup and seriously have nothing bad to say about them after approximately 7000 km. of riding and only minor adjustments. In contrast, I always adjust my Ultegra more frequently and I have had some trouble with the STI shift levers every so often. They have frozen on me and they don't depress cleanly. They get worse the longer I use them, while Campy has only gotten easier to shift.

That said, these differences do not make my heart skip a beat, send a rush of blood to my head, make me more eager to ride, or make my life any easier. They just prove that Campy makes a great product that's worth the nominal additional cost over Ultegra, but if you get a better deal on Ultegra you're still getting a fine product and great value.

Speaking of wheel issues, I recently ordered an American Classic adapter cluster to use Campy 10-speed on Shimano-compatible wheels. I expect the package to arrive soon and will test it out ASAP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, Chorus is more appropriately compared to Dura Ace than to Ultegra. The current Chorus gruppo is essentially the record gruppo without the carbon add-ons. If you are looking for an Ultegra comparable Campy gruppo, you should look at the Centaur.

I have the Centaur gruppo and only have a couple complaints. The cranks are too wide (will replace with Chorus), the bottom bracket is too heavy (will replace with Record), and the cassettes are heavier and have more parts than the Chorus cassettes (already replaced). The shifting is very smooth and I have only had to make one adjustment in 1500 miles - when I changed the wheels.

The biggest difference between the Campy and Shimano groups (besides the 10 speeds) are the levers/shifters. The ergo lever is superior is a few respects. First, because the brake releases are on the levers, rather than the brakes, they provide 100% of braking power even if you forget to re-set the releases after you put your wheels on. Second, the brake levers are fixed and separate from the shifting mechanism. Third, the derailleur cables and brake cables can be run under the bar tape - which is very clean. Nothing to get in the way of my aero bars. Finally, the little button shifter is in exactly the right spot if you want to shift from the drops (it is also a good place to rest your thumb when you are riding on the hoods).

The biggest downside is wheel compatibility. There are just more Shimano wheels out there than Campy 10. You can go with a 3rd party 10 speed cassette that mounts on a Shimano freehub, but I have never tried it.

Either way, you will be happy. For me, I am building my next bike with Campy - but this is mostly so my wheels and cassettes will be compatible across bikes. Good luck with the Soloist - it is a sweet looking bike.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You won't be dissapointed with Campy. Switched three years ago from Shimano and now won't ride anything else.

Dan a while back compared Shimano to Campy. Check the Slowtwitch archives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chorus is a cut above Ultegra. It should be compared to Dura-Ace. Daytona is an equivelent to Ultegra. Record is in a class of its own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Luntzy,

I have two bikes with Campy 10 spd. One with Record and another with Centaur ( equivalent to Daytona ). So far I didn't have any problem with both groupsets, and I can tell you that I can't feel difference ( except for the price ) between the groups...

Luiz Eng
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not even a comparison. Seriously, Campy Chorus is more like Dura Ace. Here's why Campy is a better option (assuming you don't mind spending the extra $$$):

1. 10-speeds (not necessary, but awfully nice to have more options)...The ability to use a 13/29 in the winter (base-building) is also particularly nice.

2. More aerodynamic (cables routed under the tape).

3. More durable...I'm sure some will debate me, but I've repeatedly seen my friends riding around without the "end cap" on their Ultegra shifters...That doesn't happen with Campy.

4. Campy breaks in and ultimately provides cleaner shifting (although Shimano feels nicer "out of the box")

5. Italian Panache...'Nuff said.

I own 5 bikes built with Campy. I've got everything from Centaur to Record. I think Centaur (with a few mods) is the best "bang for the buck" in the industry. It works flawlessly and isn't ridiculously heavy. Simply swap out the BB/Cranks and you'll have an awesome grouppo.

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: Chorus or Ultegra gruppo? [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Puskas, you got the point!!! The only thing that is too heavy on the Centaur is the BB.... I changed mine for a Strong Light model much lighter !!!!

Luiz Eng
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched last year. I've ridden Centaur on my road bike and chorus on my tri bike.

I should tell you the logical reasons to switch, less plastic in the campy parts means less wear and the associated higher maintenance that comes with it. the ergo levers are incredible. while sti will let you go 1 shift harder or 3 easier, the ergo levers will let you go 8 shifts harder or 4 easier in a single movement. cresting a hill and upshifting with the ergo's is a dream. I really appreciate that the front isn't indexed, allowing me to "trim" out the front der. then there's the brakes! the stopping power is very noticable stronger. I live in a hilly area, so this is very reassuring. the wheel thing will most likely not be an issue in another year when next-gen dura-ace comes out w/ a 10sp.

however, those may be the logical reasons to do it, the real reason for me comes down to the "tink". The campy bar end shifters on my p2k with the chorus rear derailleur make the most beautifully mechanical precise "tink" sound when upshifting. it's solid, and real, and downright perfect. When a single simple shift feels that good, money is no object.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big on going debate, and a worthy one: Both products are very good. Perhaps it is not unreasonable to make a PC/ Apple comparison where the PC is Shimano and the Apple is Campagnolo. I like the ergonomics of the Campagnolo Ergopower lever better than Shimano STI. However, since most tri-bikes use bar-end shifters this is sometimes not an issue. In general Ultegra is not price-comparable to Chorus. Chorus seems closer to Dura-Ace in dollars. It generally seems to be "easier" to source wheelsets set up for Shimano 9 speed. Of course, the significance of that is coming to a close with the impending introduction of Dura-Ace 10 speed.On a road bike I prefer Campagnolo for the lever ergonomics. On a tri bike I prefer Shimano since it seems more readily available. Still, not an easy choice- two very good parts kits.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a good question for me. My main focus of the year is cyclocross season, and I have been lucky enough to have had a bike sponsor the last couple of years. Up 'till this year, the sponsor outfitted me with Ultegra-equipped bikes (two each season, the sponsor takes them back and sells them at the end of the season.)

Over three years, not one bike made it the full season in saleable condition. The Ultegra shifters fell apart, and 2 out of six rear derailleurs were barely functional at the end of the season. The sponsor wound up buying new shifters and derailleurs to re-sell the bikes, and every year, I had to fix or replace at least one shift lever mid-season (I didn't use Shimano cranks and BB's - FSA supplied them all three years, and the cranks always did well, BB's not so well.)

This year, the Sponsor finally got frustrated, and we switched to Campy Chorus. Shockingly, the bikes were nearly flawless at the end of the season. Unbelievable difference. Where in the past the Ultegra shifters were literally in pieces, with missing dust caps and seized (or nearly so) internals, the Chorus ones looked and operated as if they were brand new - after the same period of use. I'm sold. The initial price difference is more than made up for over time, and in this case, it was a surprisingly short period of time.

PS - the FSA BB's were much better this season, and made it through the season.

MH

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Chorus or Ultegra gruppo? [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It's not even a comparison"

And let's not forget the snob appeal. One is hand made in Italy by a company that also makes parts for NASA and Ferrari vs the other which is machine stamped in Taiwan by a company that has it's main sideline in fishin' gear.

Seriously though, I have ShimaNO on all my bikes but given I choice I would have Campy.
Quote Reply
Re: Chorus or Ultegra gruppo? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, the choice is pretty easy because you can't go wrong with either.
Quote Reply
Re: Chorus or Ultegra gruppo? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
assuming that "CerveloGuy" rides a cervelo, you did have a choice. I took delivery of my new P2k frame w/ a chorus build kit just last week.
Quote Reply