Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Group Ride here at Bikesport.
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy's post about his first group ride of the season made me think: We had our first group ride of the season here last night. Michael R. Rabe of the Wolverine Sports Club put together a structured ride and he coached cyclists on how to ride effectively and safely in groups, two-up pacelines, rotating pacelines, etc. It went very well. Micahel R. Rabe is an excellent coach. This is a great introduction to group riding for triathletes who have not done group rides before. All are invited. To find out more go to www.bikesportmichigan.com and click on the red button that says "Local Group Ride Schedule". Everyone invited and encouraged!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: First Group Ride here at Bikesport. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also being from a northern clime, you'd also appreciate how good it feels to get outdoors and off the trainer. It's good to encourage tri-folks to get out and ride with the roadies. We get new tri-folks show up once in awhile and the club welcomes them. It's a nice club. The roadies are not snobbish in the least. There is only one rule that tri-people must follow - stay off the aerobars unless you're leading.
Quote Reply
Re: First Group Ride here at Bikesport. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We do the same thing. Interestingly enough it is mostly first time riders and entry level triathletes who are coming to our rides. They need to learn pacline etiquette and some simple drafting techniques and generally get comfortable with riding in close proximity to other riders in a group. It is a great resource for them.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always heard that the Wednesday night Bikesport ride was a really fast hammerfest, especially if Frankie shows up. I was always afraid to show.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do people show up on their tri-bikes? I only own one bike, a tri-bike, and it seems like it would be pretty tough to go through the group ride on one.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: First Group Ride here at Bikesport. [Jack in Mi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Do people show up on their tri-bikes? .... and it seems like it would be pretty tough to go through the group ride on one."

I think it would be tough. The tri-geeks in our roadie group(I'm one of them) all have road bikes, even if in some cases they're old steel 12 speeds. They still work much better than a tri bike for group riding. We had a guy come out on our hill ride on a tri bike. He got dropped fairly quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On our Wedensday night ride we have about a 50/50 mix of triathletes and roadies. Most of the triathletes are on their triathlon bikes. For years it has worked very well. The triathletes are all competent pack riders and bike handlers. It seems to work very well- no problems. A couple triathletes bought road bikes but probably didn't need to. In general the triathletes pull the roadies along for the first part of the ride (if not all of it), then the roadies try to get away, mostly with no success. There are some fast guys. The killer ride is to do the Northville loop flat-out (38.5 miles) then link up with the Wednesday night ride and do that (25 miles). the Wednesday night ride sometimes averages over 25 mph with 11 stop lights, so it is an interval/power workout. It isn't for beginners. Finishing it with the lead group is an accomplishment. Finishing it with the lead group after a hard circuit to Northville is epic.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, since you're in Michigan around the Mo'town area, I'd assume that you're usually riding on a flat terrain. Our Tuesday rides are semi-flat but are Thursday rides are hilly with some really fast winding downhills. It would work fine for a tri bike on Tuesday and could be done on Thursday but I'd prefer my road bike for that night. On the hill rides we usually don't ride as close packed as the Tuesday ride so there is also no reason not to ride a tri bike. I just tend to feel that my TCR is a better climber than the P2K and like being on the drops on the decents.

IMO using a tri bike for group rides is like using a road bike for triathlon. Either can be done quite successfully, but may not be 100% ideal depending upon the terrain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. And, you're right, it is pancake flat around here. Tri-guys and roadies working together well onj this ride are the exception, not the rule. It is quite remarkable.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply