Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Used P3, is it a good deal?
Quote | Reply
I would like the group's opinion on this. I recently met an owner of a highly regarded bike shop who is selling his own personally used P3. The bike was used for one season(for road racing TT's) and it's a 2001 P3 w/ Visiontech bars, Dura-Ace with the 56/42 chainring and a Hed Disc rear wheel and Hed aero w/ spokes(not sure of exact model) in front. It's my size and he will custom fit me on the Serotta Sizecycle at no extra charge. He's offering it to me for $1400 US because we have mutual friends. I told him I'll take it(in my opinion it's a steal). What do you guys think? Is it a no brainer?
Quote Reply
Re: Used P3, is it a good deal? [loopfitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No brainer. Actually, it's a negative brainer (you'll actually get smarter if you accept this deal). The key issues in my mind are:

1. Fit - it's your size, and you're going to be properly fit on the thing (Assuming of course, that the bikeshop owner knows how to fit triathletes?)

2. Value - the frame/fork is already worth more than what he's asking

3. Extras - Nice bars, sick wheels, good top-end components, and you get an expensive & flashy DA ring (now if you can push it is another matter entirely...)

For all that, you ought to race with his shop on your back. Seriously.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is an excellent deal if it fits and you can use most of those components. Let me know if it is a 51 cm and I will put in a bid.
Quote Reply
Re: Used P3, is it a good deal? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if its a 61cm i'll take it---as long as i can find a credit card thats got space on it :)

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're lucky I'm broke, Art, or I'd be fightin' you for that 51!

(we could have an IM slow-off, and whoever comes in closer to the cutoff wins!)

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Used P3, is it a good deal? [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer. One just sold on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/...&item=1985737769
Quote Reply
Re: Used P3, is it a good deal? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You wouldn't have a prayer. I won the award last year at IMUSA for the slowest bike split among those with an aero tri bike with a disc wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps, but Francois swims faster than I run! And don't even get me started on my swim prowess... I think I could give you some stiff competition.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, it didn't sell. I just noticed the reserve price wasn't met. I would track down the owner if I were you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No brainer. Don't ask - just go for it. I know where I can get a secondhand P3 for about $2000 and I though that was a steal. Problem is my best friend wants to sell his 1973 Triumph TR6 to me for a bargain price(still a lot more than the P3). I can afford one but not both, although I'll have to talk to my friendly bank manager about the TR6. If I don't get the car I'll hopefully still get the bike. If I do get the car I'll have to change my handle to TR6guy
Quote Reply
Re: Used P3, is it a good deal? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't you already have a P2k? Get the car, man!

(And then write up a nice piece for Tom about how you transport your bike in it )

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't worry. I really want the TR6. Problem is my buddy doesn't want to sell until next fall and we are haggling over the price. P2K's aren't too shabby but a P3 at that price would be nice, but with me waiting for the TR6 it'll be gone. I guess I really don't "need" either of them but it's just a bad case of the "wants"!!
Quote Reply
Re: Used P3, is it a good deal? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rebuilt a Truimph Spitfire which I used for a couple of years - trust me you NEED the TR6 - sorry Tom it was my only transport at the time so I used to take the rims of my P2k to help it fit - I was careful though- wouldn't want to scratch the Spitfire would I!!

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Re: Used P3, is it a good deal? [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to see a guy with his head on straight, able to discern between needs and wants. I applaud you, sir. And I trust you never did scratch your beloved Triumph?

The real reason I'm not buying any snotty new tri-gear is because I NEED one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/...&item=1876050434

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had two Porsche 356B's at different times in the late 70's to mid 80's. One was a 1960 green coupe and the other a 1961 cherry red convertible. Would LOVE to own another but they're just too expensive nowadays. In those days they were just considered old clunkers that hardly anyone wanted. I joined a Porsche club and guys with 911's wouldn't even talk to 356 owners. We used to hang out by ourselves with the 914 owners.

I owned a number of cool cars that sure wish I had now. Triumph TR4, Spitfire, TR8, MGB, MG Midget, Austin mini-Cooper S. You're right this is a need, not a want!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a steal !!! I paid $3k for a P3 which is almost an identical match to the one you're buying. Same chain ring, but mine has a funky paint job and a zipp disk.

=====================================
It's ALL about the bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as it fits, you'd be an idiot to pass that deal up. Run, don't walk if that important fit question is "yes".
Quote Reply