Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Republican Senator won't vote for Bush
Quote | Reply
Ouch. That's gotta hurt. From the NYTimes:

"One day after the Supreme Court sealed the 2000 election for George W. Bush, his running mate, Dick Cheney, went to the Capitol for a private lunch with five moderate Republican senators. The agenda he laid out that day in December 2000 stunned Senator Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island, sending Mr. Chafee on a painful journey of political conscience that, he said in an interview last week, has culminated with his decision not to vote for Mr. Bush in November.

"I literally was close to falling off my chair," Mr. Chafee said, recounting the vice president's proposals for steep tax cuts, missile defense programs and abandoning the Kyoto environmental accords. "It was no room for discussion. I said, 'Well, you're going to need us; it's a 50-50 Senate, you're going to need us moderates.' He said, 'Well, we need everybody.' ''

For Mr. Chafee, who was a prep school buddy of the president's brother Jeb and whose father, the late Senator John Chafee, was close to the first President Bush, that day was the beginning of an estrangement with the president, whom he had worked to elect. In the months since, he has opposed Mr. Bush on everything from tax cuts to gay marriage and the war in Iraq. Now, this life-long Republican has concluded that he cannot cast his ballot for the leader of his party. "

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Republican Senator won't vote for Bush [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can think of at least one Democratic governer who won't be voting for Kerry, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Republican Senator won't vote for Bush [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traitor!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder who Hillary will vote for....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've lived in Rhode Island. Lincoln Chafee is just following a long line of other so-called Republican senators there and is covering his own backside with his insipid pronouncements. The only state that Bush carried in New England in '00 was New Hampshire, so why should he worry about them, anyway?

If the Senate ends up tied or if the Republicans end up with one to the good and Bush still in the White House, Chafee's going to jump ship like a rat and bolt over to the Democrats. Wait and see.

Tony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A cowardly Republican? No way! Not much of victory for you guys, Republican is latin for "cowardly bitch".

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can understand why Chaffee was shocked, shocked to discover gambling in this establishment. Bush campaigned heavily on each of those issues. Then he turned around and delivered on them.

Shocked indeed. I think statement tells you far more about Chaffee than about Bush.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Sojourner [ In reply to ]
Re: Republican Senator won't vote for Bush [JoeMWiley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't remember his exact quote, but yes, he made very clear that he was against the Kyoto treaty. This treaty is such a bad deal for the US, not even Clinto would submit it to the Senate for ratification.

This is a terrible treaty. It is all pain economically, and no gain to speak of for the environment. The developed countries that have signed it won't meet the goals. This Gore negotiated treaty is a bust. If Gore had won, it still would never have been signed.

You can argue the merits one way or the other if you like, but there was never any misunderstanding about Bush's position, notwithstanding Chaffee's being "stunned."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Senator Chafee is saying he is going to write in Bush Sr...
Quote Reply