Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What a difference a new BB makes!
Quote | Reply
After 12 years of faithful service, I was told by my LBS that my BB needed to be replaced, as part of a more general rebuild of worn bits & bobs on my bike.

For the first few years of having the bike, I was generally running around in 53x15 as the cruising gear, sometimes dropping to 53x14. Latterly (for the last couple of years) I found myself cruising in 53x17 dropping to 53x15 occasionally (no 16 on the back!). I put this down to advancing years at the time

After getting a new BB - wow! I'm now cruising around in 53x15 again fresh as a daisy, dropping to 53x14 much more readily. I'm also riding more consistently at 90rpm in 53x15 that I was in 53x17. All a bit of a revelation to me.

Which leads me to a question: is there any guidance or rule of thumb as to how long a BB lasts before it loses its "newness" (as opposed to become unusably worn?
Quote Reply
Re: What a difference a new BB makes! [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, good for you Greg66. So many nice, expensive bikes come in here in need of a $35-$55 bottom bracket when the customer has stars in his/her eyes over a pair of $1500 race wheels. I'm not sure what to say about how long a bottom bracket lasts, that is a function of what type it is, where you ride, how well it was installed, etc. Was it Steve Hed who did a test to determine the effects of drivetrain friction on performance? My recollection was the findings were significant. Keeping your bottom bracket fresh, adjusted and installed correctly and drivetrain clean (REALLY clean) and lubed is so important.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply