Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

exercising with a cold
Quote | Reply
My immune system was apparently so distracted by $@@#@'n allergies that it let a cold slip in. I got a sore throat, a head full of snot and tender glands in the neck. No fever and nothing in the chest. I felt pretty yukky last night while trying to sleep, but not too bad right now.

What do the medicos out there have to say--can I exercise now? If not now, what should I look for as an indicator that it's ok to get back to work?
Quote Reply
Re: exercising with a cold [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am no medicos, but I would say, "don't workout while you're sick." If you must workout, go no higher than threshold intensity and no more than an hour. You will feel temporarily feel better from working out, but that's just the natural painkillers/endorphins and you're always better off resting.

Here is my take on exercising and sickness. I am always tempted to workout and fight through the illness. But I have to remind myself that any exercise you do will take energy/resources away from your body's "battle of the cold" and will end up prolonging it. Also, after you're done exercising, your body may go back to putting all it's resources and energy to fighting the cold and won't do the most important step of exercising: recovery and building the body back up.

Soooo, I figure it'll just make you sicker longer and you may not benefit from it.

Hope that helps.

By the way, try some garlic, green tea, a lot of fruits, vegetables, nuts and spinach and water.
Quote Reply
Re: exercising with a cold [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Previous post has good points. Running yourself down further probably won't help. The BIG no no is to exercise with a fever, you can really screw yourself up...

Your HR can dictate how you are doing. If it's elevated when you wake up, take it easy until it's not...

Have some chicken soup and watch the Flintstones for a few days.
Quote Reply