Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

twisted bladed spokes - what do you do?
Quote | Reply
I just got some new Campy Zonda wheels. They use bladed spokes, but I notice that some of the spokes are twisted a bit, so instead of slicing the wind, they're slamming the wind. this has to be worse than just having a round spoke. How do you fix this? I'm assuming that I can use a spoke wrench to hold the nipple in place while I twist the spoke with a pair of pliers into the proper orientation. is that a bad idea?
Quote Reply
Re: twisted bladed spokes - what do you do? [brad in WA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on how tightly threaded the spoke/nipple is, you may be able to just use a spoke wrench to twist the nipple allowing the spoke to turn as well. If you twist just the spoke or just the nipple, you will be changing the tension on the spoke. It could cause your trued wheel to be slightly out of true. If you need to true the wheel, hold the spoke steady with a flat nosed pair of pliers and then tighten or loosen the nipple. But, for straightening the spoke, you should be able to just use the spoke wrench and nipple to fix things. Make sense?

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: twisted bladed spokes - what do you do? [brad in WA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your spokes are wound up. I would take a small adjustable wrench, adjust it to grip the blade up near the spoke nipple, and use that and a spoke wrench to turn both at once. Then you should be able to straighten the blades without "untrueing" the wheel too much, if that is a word. I would avoid pliers with serated edges, to be sure you do not nick the spokes.

When I true a wheel with bladed spokes, I usually use an adjustable wrench tightened onto the blade to hold the spoke straight while turning the nipple.

Again, I would use an adjustable wrench with smooth, flat edges to hold the spokes.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply