Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Run advice now what?
Quote | Reply
Hi all- So after ITB surgery, I am now at 5 mile running 2-3 times a week, biking twice 25 miles and haven't gotten in the pool but will. My question is this... should I start some speed work or tempo runs or should I just keep at this long slow stuff and increase distance gradually since this is base building. My goals are 2-3 olympic distance and maybe a 1/2 IM next season. I know that once I really start to train you need speed work and tempos with the long distance but does anyone have any thoughts. Thanks so much.

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: Run advice now what? [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Current: 5 mi, 2-3x a week

NO speedwork. Don't increase distance of those runs - add more runs. Frequency and consistency. So run consistently 3 x a week then add another short, 10 min run. Couple weeks of 3 x 5 mi + 1 x 10 min then add another 10 min run... then add minutes to those 10 min runs.

Frequency and consistency!!! will get you faster than trying to do speed.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has to be said...

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

:-)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar
Quote Reply
Re: Run advice now what? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm interested to know why you think I should run more frequently? When I trained before I usually ran 3-4 times a week only (that was for Olymp distance)- it was only when I did my marathon training that I increased the frequency. Why do you think its necessary? By your post the goal then would be to be running 5 times a week? Just curious. Thanks for the post!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll answer for the Fish-because there is no faster way to reinjure yourself than with speedwork on little base. The adage is true; bake your cake with volume base and then frost it with speed in the Spring.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sally had it right.

Look at Barry P's current thread in the main forum. I'll pull this off it, quoting jpflores - "Frequency first followed by slow, but steady increase in volume and careful use of speed work and tempo runs."

Let me try to explain why I think the whole frequency works:
You get a little bit of stress, a lot of the time, and those little bits of stress are enough to induce physiological adaptation without doing too much damage. Your muscles, bones, ligaments, tendons are all getting used to running again. Little bits of stress so they adapt, then you can add time on to those little runs and minimize your injury risk.

I will come back to this and add more later, still thinking through why exactly frequency/consistency is so important. I want to be able to put it in more scientific terms for you than the 'cake and frosting' example.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Run advice now what? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'the Fish' LOL you made me happy with that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree 100%, no need for speed work just yet. You need to be sure that stressing the tendons and ligaments with speedwork won't re-injure your IT band. Smaller bouts of stress repeatedly add up to increased fitness. The cake and icing is my favorite way to explain base work and speed work. Bake your cake and don't worry about frosting it until you are ready to race. Good luck and PM me if you want to chat more about it, coffee and treats?

http://www.ironmom141.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Points well taken and will follow your advice but can you direct me to where Barry P's post is I have looked but can't find. I will work for 2 weeks doing the 5 miles consistently and then add a 4th day and then a few week later add a 5th day of 10 min and then slowly increase those days.

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow what a great post! Thanks so much for that.

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're quite welcome. Keep us updated with how your running is going.

When I was coming back to running after a stress reaction in fall 2007, I started running every day... 4 mi. Then I would do 2 days on, 1 day off. That seemed to treat me a lot better than the every other day, my legs *feel* better if I run nearly every day. I went from that to cycles of 2 days on 1 day off 3 days on 1 day off, then 3/1, finally building up to 6-7 runs a week. But you will find that your legs will feel better when you run the more frequently you do it.

This is my complete unscientific answer, but, it becomes your natural state of motion.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone pointed me to this thread so I thought I'd chime in.

should I start some speed work or tempo runs..........since this is base building******NO to the entire sentence.

If you are running 2-3x per week @ 5 miles per shot, you are running 10 miles most weeks and 15 miles on big weeks. You need to be running more times per week and be running more miles per week before you think about speedwork. By increasing your frequency you are able to increase your volume safely and in lower doses of stress. You need to at least double your big weeks mileage consistetly before speed work will help you more then just running. How do you go about this safely? I'm glad you asked. If you are at 2-3x 5miles, add in 3-4x 15 min so you are running 6-7x per week. Do this for a few weeks. Then increase 2 of the new runs to 20-25 minutes, again hold here for a few weeks. Then increase the rest of them to that time and hold for a few weeks. Now you have started to establish a base that would allow you to actually increase your long run so it does something besides make you tired. Take 1 of the 5 milers and add 15 -20 min to it. Hold there for a couple of weeks. Then add 10 min to it every other week. Next thing you know, you've been running for 3 months have done a smart build up and gotten somewhat fit for running. Now you can think about doing the work running that will enable you to eventually do speed work (which imo is often poorly used, used at the wrong times of the year and used for the wrong reasons)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you suggest I keep up my bike and swim? Just a once a week thing for each so I don't lose that while I focus on the run?

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: Run advice now what? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Brian for the very specific advice. I will print out and follow. I asked Tigerchik but can I on those days where I am just doing 15 min run do my swim or bike those days as well so I don't lose that while I focus on the run more?

I am so glad I posted this question because in my head I was only planning on running 3-4 times a week and just slowly increase my distance by that 10% rule. I guess the base part of running is better accomplished by more frequent running and slower build. Do you think this holds true for other 2 bike and swim?

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes you can. Even though you are running more, 15-20min is not a big workload.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I guess the base part of running is better accomplished by more frequent running and slower build. Do you think this holds true for other 2 bike and swim?

Yes

Half the battle with swimming is maintaining your feel for the water - frequency is a really good thing to keep that (you know how if you havent' swum in awhile you have to re-learn how? 2 days in a row out of the water for me is enough to lose it...).

And frequency of training will get consistency of it, you can't train frequently, without it being consistent. Keep getting all those little bits of practice you'll get faster - all the neuromuscular patterns get more ingrained and stuff (ha! that was me being scientific).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 days in a row out of the water for me is enough to lose it...).
In Reply To:

You think it is but it isn't.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply