Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best "affordable" tubular tires?
Quote | Reply
I'm used to riding 23mm, 220g, Hutchinson Carbon Comp Gold clinchers at $20 to $30 with no complaints. But I'm thinking of buying some tubular wheelsets. What would be an affordable 700c tubular tire that is light and would be good for tri's. Yellow would be awesome but not necessary.

I was looking at the Tufo Pro S3 for $45 but not really sure what to look for in a tubular. It's only 21mm and 195g. But then someone recommended the Conti. GP which is 19mm, 225g (heavier), and $83.99 a pop. I feel like I'm comparing apples and oranges. Recommendations?

~ A penny saved is a government oversight.
Quote Reply
Re: Best "affordable" tubular tires? [TCR2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A pal of mine turned me onto Tufo. He used to only like tires that were distinctly teutonic (i.e. Conti), then tried Vittoria (and did not fall in love with them). I tried the Jet Special and was highly impressed. They are light and wear very well. They are very nice for the meager price.

Call me Big Dick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind when you are comparing weights between your previous clincher tires and tubular tires, the tubular tire already has the weight of the tube included. A sub 250gm tubular is a very lightweight tire. I suggest you look at the Continental tubulars, I've had great success with them for many years. The Sprinters make an excellent rear racing tire(22mm and about 270gms) while the Podiums are only 19mm and about 30gms lighter. I run a Sprinter on the back and a Podium on the front and have nothing but good things to say about them. Check www.biketiresdirect.com for a great deal on the Sprinters (under $40 @) and super fast shipping, ordered mine on a Friday and they were delivered on Monday!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TUFO gets my vote. I race on them and train on clinchers. My expereince with the "inexpensive" tubulars is they are all pretty darn weak. A $59.99 TUFO is a great race tire.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TUFOs! The TUFO rim tape is also terrific. No mess and quick to install.
Quote Reply
Re: Best "affordable" tubular tires? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, have you tried the TUFO tubular clinchers? They seem like they might be a good way to start training on tubulars without having to invest in new wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Best "affordable" tubular tires? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I use the tape how hard is it to get the tire off durring a race? Do you leave a space to get your fingers in to rip off the tire? If you flat does the tape still hold the spare ? I am a glue guy . It's the smell thing. The glue webing on the rim, all over fingers I might try the tape.
Thanks Dirtball!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been really impressed with the continental sprinters. I got them from biketiresdirect.com for 3 for 105 bucks delivered. Their advertised price was 37.95, plus shipping. It was easy to hagle them down. Delivery was 3 business days. Hope this helps - Ernie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was using Conti Podiums (19mm) but have switched to Tufo S3 Lites (21mm). I really like the Tufos. The tires are very well made and are great to ride. Unfortunately, they aren't "cheap", but I believe they are less expensive than the Contis or Vittorias I was riding. Oh yea, a big plus, you can get the S3s in yellow and red too.
Quote Reply
Re: Best "affordable" tubular tires? [dirtball!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tire comes off easy. However, most of the tape does too. There usually is a little residual left on the rim. I put a light coat of glue on the spare just in case of a flat. As for a space, usually a centimeter to the left and right of the valve stem hole is sufficient.

Nothing beat the smell of the glue...however it's the mess I can live without. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Best "affordable" tubular tires? [ErnieK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer to race on the Veloflex tires, but they are not "affordable", and I have to put a new set on after ever other Ironman due to their wear. But the ride is unbeatable so it's worth it to me.

The Conti Sprinters are a superb tire and have a long life. A great source is www.labicicletta.com, they have them for $33ea, or $280 for ten. Get a few friends together and save! I've ordered from them multiple times and have been very pleased with their service.
Quote Reply
Re: Best "affordable" tubular tires? [trichatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip on the tape I might just try it . My wife thinks the smell isn' t good for all my kids:-) Or did she say it may have effected me ? I can't remember . Well what was that ?
Dirtball
Quote Reply