Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hed aerobar tips...
Quote | Reply
Reading Dans article about his mutated Hed bars and seeing some other posts, I wanted to see if we could consolidate any ideas. I heard people have talked about using skateboard grip tape on the bar ends? Dont that hurt or cut your hand? Im looking for a better solution but havent come up with one yet.

I come from a Syntace C2, and am installing those pads onto the hed bars because they are SO much more comfortable. Since the pads arent circular, its not a perfect fit, but it works well enough.

Anything else...
Quote Reply
Re: Hed aerobar tips... [SByers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not convinced bar tape won't work...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been riding the HED bars for 1 month. I wrapped 2.5 inches of the bar ends with black Cinelli bar tape, the wrap is not as nice as a round bar, however the feel of using the bar tape outweighs the aesthetics of a non-symmetrical wrap. Since I did not want to wrap the whole bar, I am going to put two thin pieces of the non-skid tape on the top of the bar for another hand position, that carbon can get slippery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bar tape works fine around the hand grips and a thin piece of grip tape on the brake lever makes it much easier to stop without your fingers cramping up. Make sure you locktite the arm pad bolts though, mine kept coming loose and i'd have to peel up the entire pad to tighten them back up again. The stock pads don't stick at first, tape them down and leave them taped for a day or two and when you take the tape off they stick great, worked for me at least. Yeah, the Syntace pads definetely look like a future add on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ridden my HED bars for about a month now. Some tips that I can add are that:

1. Bar wrap works just fine. I was able to wrap the barend sections without any problem and use some electical tape to finish it off. I see no need to use grip tape and I personally think that this will hurt my hands. Some Deda wrap has worked just fine for me.

2. I went to the store and bought industrial strength velcro. I then cut the velcro in circles the same size as the pads. I adhered the velcro to the pads and the armrest themselves (leaving the bolts exposed) and now I have pads that can come on and off of the armrests as I need to tighten a bolt or change something around. I though it would be ridicoulous to tear up the adheasive everytime, then the pads wouldn't stick at all.

3. If you need a higher position then the present risers, Visiontech risers work just fine. I am personally using the large visiontech risers to get me in a position similar to what I had with my C-2s.

Thats all for now, if I come up with anything else I will post. By the way I absolutely love these bars and I "feel" fast with them, set a training course PR yesterday.

Neal
Quote Reply
Re: Hed aerobar tips... [Neal Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does adding the visiontech risers make your elbows further apart?
Quote Reply
Re: Hed aerobar tips... [df] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just used the risers and the same armrests and pads taht come with the HED bar. The only way I know of to make the armrest wider apart is to move the extensions further apart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, first off I haven't tried this. I was flipping through an old tri-zone catalog and noticed profile used to (and possibly still does) make a foam grip you put over you aerobars. I don't know if it would work to slice it into a smaller size and work it onto the grip or not.

Just a thought from a rodent.

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is off the topic SByers, but when is the next saturday group ride starting in central park at the boat house? Please let me know if anything is happening this weekend. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed aerobar tips... [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldnt really tell you, to be honest. With the holiday, I dont know whose going to be around, havent even talked to my coach about it, and dont even know if I am going to be around yet.

Best luck would be to head there at that time anyway, there are always groups of people that meet there to head upstate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using the bars for 3 months now, and I do not use bar tape on the base bar, whats the point has anyone here actually tried not using tape? It works fine without. As for the armrest pads, I removed the velcro on both sides ans used silicone adhesive to glue the pads directly on. They have not shifted since. Use loctite (blue) on all harware or you'll be sorry.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed aerobar tips...(Stems?) [SByers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What stems have people had success / problems with on the Hed bars? I fitted someone on these bars and we used a Dimension stem and it has been slipping even though the diameter is correct. Hed said to try Profile. Any experiences? Perhaps the bar is not quite made to the diameter it says it is?

Trischnitz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got some time (about 6 hours) on the Hed bars now including about 5 on the road in the real world. I haven't changed a thing. I see no necessity for grip tape or other traction or grip improving augmentation at the grip area of the base bars. The grip is a bit more slippery that handlebar tape but I got used to it quickly and had no issues, even yesterday when it was warm out. I cut the aero extension to the appropriate length and wrappe the aero extension with Deda tape and that was it. They work quite well right out of the box. Dan's review was very good, but I think he created a bit of a monster when he put all that "stuff" on the base bar grips. I just don't think that's necessary.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hed aerobar tips... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SO far, not bad. I did add some tip caps to the end of the brake levers, as they would hit the top tube if turned 90' when lifting or loading to my vehicle. May try different pads, mostly to increase the forearm resting area
Quote Reply