Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hydration on the bike and run (if you do tri's)
Quote | Reply
I am headed for Panama City for the Gulf Coast half iron and need some input on hydration set-ups....since I have been training all winter the sweat factor hasnt been as much of an issue as it will be in Florida....can somebody give me some direction/critique of aerobar water bottles versus camelbak set-ups versus fuel belt, etc?? Especially something that will work both on the bike and during a run....thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: hydration on the bike and run (if you do tri's) [flemmy13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other than a camelback type system, I'm not sure what else you could use on both the bike and the run. What I use for 1/2 IM distances is the aerobar water bottle from Profile Design, and also have 2 bottles on the cages that mount behind the seat for the bike leg. Then I have a 4 bottle Fuel Belt for the run. Using the Fuel Belt on the bike could cause a wreck, since they are not easy to get back on the belt if you have to steer a bike. The aero drink system can be refilled on the fly from aid stations or the other bottles on the bike. I'm tempted to try a camelback, but what I have now works, and it allows for more than one type of fluid. With the above mentioned systems, you have have H2O or other fluids in various combinations. I use HammerGel mixed with water in 2 of the 4 Fuel Belt bottles, and one bike bottle. The rest is water. Hope this helps.

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Re: hydration on the bike and run (if you do tri's) [flemmy13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmmmm. call me simple-minded, but i just use 1.a water bottle in a cage on the seatube, and then 2. drink from little paper cups on the run.

not that this foolhardy plan, or lack of plan as it were needs alaboration, but hey !

1. aero bottles are not aero - aero behind the seat things are not aero - i can pull a bottle from a cage and drain a quarter of it in seconds on singletrack over roots within inches of hoardes of tattooed cranked up crack addict single speeders...... doing so on a flat road in an aero tuck is not so hard. and, as for refuelling - how does grabbing a bottle from an aide dude and tucking it in your cage sound ?

2. if the paper cup thing works for kenyans running marathons, as well as fat guys with black socks doing the local 5K because they lost a bar bet i reckon it will work for me.

sometimes i think tri-geeks LOOK for ways to make life difficult. . . . . . . .:)
Quote Reply
Re: hydration on the bike and run (if you do tri's) [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tim, you're way will absolutely work, but are you willing to risk the water being there? Or if you want or don't want Gatorade or whatever the race sponsored drink is? Last Sept, I did a 1/2 IM, with ONE water stop on the bike. And I mean stop! To get a bottle (actually it was a bottle exchange) you had to come to a complete stop, give them an empty bottle, then they gave you a full one. Otherwise, it's 56 miles with whatever you can carry. I didn't want to stop and lose the forward motion after 25 miles. It was also over 90 degress and zero shade. And I have no false ideas that any of the drink systems I use are actually "aero", but that's what they are called. Heck, I just built my new tri bike with skinny round ti tubes. I'm not too concerned about aero.

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Last edited by: chris in MD: Apr 15, 03 6:57
Quote Reply