Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is your wife/girlfriend faster than you?
Quote | Reply
My wife and I have been doing spint/oly tris for three years now. She has beaten me in every single tri that we've done together. The pattern is always the same. Our swim times are always near identical, I'm always two to four minutes faster on the bike, but her running is always about a minute per Km faster than is mine, so she catches and passes me on the run.

I've used the big excuse that she's 16 yrs younger than me (hey, it's my second time around in the marriage game, so why not!), but it's really because that she has a competitive college level running background while I don't. Running is her sport of the three while mine is cycling.

I don't expect to see this pattern changing in the near future unless I can build up even a bigger advantage on the bike and/or improve my running considerably.

Just wondering if I'm alone or if there is anyone else out there who is getting whupped by their other half.
Quote Reply
Re: Is your wife/girlfriend faster than you? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same pattern here; my wife (who is 13 years younger - 2nd time around for both of us) is a very strong runner (two sub-40 10Ks in Oly distance tris this past year). I'm about 10 to 15% faster in the water, my best IM swim is 1:09, and hers is 1:15. I'm a better cyclist (although at 65lbs lighter, she's a better climber, so the margin is less on very hilly courses, and getting less all around as she becomes better as a cyclist), and in an IM typically come off the bike ~30 mins ahead of her. She, however, ran me down in both IMs we did together last year. In an Oly or a Sprint, I can most times hold her off, given my swim and bike advantage..but not always.
Quote Reply
Re: Is your wife/girlfriend faster than you? [Lloyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fortunately no...not yet anyway, but my girlfriend is just getting started, and improving in leaps and bounds.

Along the same gender lines though, had to share a lane with a 14 year old Female age group swimmer this morning at Masters. (they get a reprieve on 5am practices during spring break, and get to swim with us at 6:30) Anyway, I had to let her lead the lane, and there wasn't any chat between intervals, b/c I was huffing and puffing to keep up w/ her pace.
-a humbled 26 year old male.
Quote Reply
Re: Is your wife/girlfriend faster than you? [Mark C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Worse. She smokes me in golf. Hits it 195-210 right down the middle virtually every time. She even has the audacity to play from the lady's tee. Fortunately I still own her on sim-bike-run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing that keeps my wife from beating me is that she just doesn't care about these sports.

After I'd been riding on an increasingly serious basis (and racing) for three years in the late 80's, I bought my wife a bike. For her third bike ride -- and first hilly ride -- we entered the Mt. Diablo hill climb. 3500 feet in about 11 miles. I said "Meet you at the top!" and took off in pursuit of a PR. I made my PR, finishing in 59:25. I caught my breath and turned around to go park my bike and wait for her when I heard, "Damn! I almost caught you!"

She'd be dangerous if she cared for triathlon (she's also a fast swimmer).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Girlfriend? You have problem I would love to have.

The single rodent

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not yet - but she's getting there. As with you, my wife is also younger by a lot (10 years) and in her mid-20s and just getting cooking in the endurance sport game with a strong swimming and cycling background. She did a 10K (her first) on a whim yesterday and won her bloody AG - 7th overall. I've been doing this for quite some time and have yet to bag an AG win in anything. By the time she hits 30 she will be damned good, I'd bet.

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost! My wife smokes me in the pool, but with a wetsuit I can hang with her. Last year I nipped her by seconds at each of our swims, this year, I don't think I'll be so lucky. We've both gotten faster, but she has gotten more faster.

The bike is my saving grace. I can put 10 minutes on her in a 40k. Her splits are darn good for her gender/AG, but I don't see that margin changing anytime soon.

The run is what is scary. A few years ago when we both started running I had 3 minutes on her for a 5k. Now it is down to 1 minute for a 5k, two minutes for a 10k. In the last tri we did last year, a sprint, I had 3 seconds on the swim, we had identical run times, and I only managed to gain 1 minute on the bike. I about fell over when she told me her time! I am also damn proud of her. She's won her AG in the last six races we've entered, placed in her AG in 11/14 races in the last 12 months, including an 8th/495 overall female and 4th/85 overall female.

The best training partner a guy could hope for.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still hung up on the fact that your wife is 16 years younger than you. Now, none of us here whould trade our old models in (we love 'em dearly). But neither are we gonna' have any pity for you. You go, man!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes!!!!! But I can usually catch her by locking the door and chasing her until she tires
Quote Reply
Re: Is your wife/girlfriend faster than you? [oglethorpe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm still hung up on the fact that your wife is 16 years younger than you"

Yeah, I know. I'm a bit baby faced for my age so when we met it wasn't until we had been out on several dates before the issue of our ages was asked. By that time it was too late. She's always told me that if she actually knew my age when we first met she wouldn't have gone on the first date with me. I'm 52 and she's 36.

Must admit though, it was a sort of perverse sweet revenge against my ex to get a second wife that much younger than her since I know it bothers her a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. My wife only runs and even at my slow pace I can still beat her handily. The principal of my son's school beats me in many of the running events, but not in the tris. She's 6 years younger and has been doing it for a longer time. I beat her in the swim and bike and she usually beats me in the run but not by enough to pass me. In running only events we usually are almost even, but she always beats my run in a tri.

Fortunately I'm still decently competitive. In the last tri I did only 2 women beat me and one of those finished right ahead of me. If my running would ever improve I think I could finish ahead of all but the most elite women in the sprints and Olys I do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, and she is not younger in fact a few months older. She smoked me by an hr at IM recently. I swim faster, and normally ride faster, she runs faster, but she has three advantages: 1) lots of slowtwitch in genetic make up, 2) great race day execution, and 3) conservative race pacing. The goodnews is we get to train together so lots of time spent in each others company.

Quote | Reply
I got a laugh out of CV guy and Lloyd. my girlfriend is also 16 years younger (me 42, her 26) and we just moved in together last month. She does triathlons also, but is only fast enough that we can enjoy a little training together. Yesterday we went for an easy 30 mile ride together. It is such a treat to be able to share an easy training day together.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See that's the beauty of getting married young. You can have your midlife crisis while you still look middle aged, or younger. Me, I waited until I was 36 to get married. If I ever have a midlife crisis, the younger woman will be something like 80 years old to my 96. Where's the fun in that? But like I said, my old model is just fine. And I'm not worried about her beating me in a tri. We have an agreement. She doesn't do tri and I don't do golf.
Quote Reply
Re: Is your wife/girlfriend faster than you? [oglethorpe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am always asked are you competitive with your fiancee? Interestingly when it comes to any sport other than triathlon we are super competitive and are always trash talking each other even though we probably both suck at the sport we are doing...........perfect example is golf.............we both shoot around 90 but still jabber at each other about how we are going to kick each other's ass! Any real golfer would just shake their heads at us:)

But in triathlon she is a professional and I'm a good age grouper so we know our strengths and train together religiously and have never been competitive with each other even though you would think that we would be. In Ironman races her pb is 9:13, where as mine is 9:33 (granted mine was on a harder course:)) so we are still waiting til we both do an ironman where we are both "on", we figure we could cross the line together and we joke about whether we would sprint each other for the finish but really know we would just be happy to see each other do well. In short races though, it's not even close as she is a diesel engine and go's at the same pace in short races as long ones.............................I'm still working on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is my wife faster, yeah but I'm older, fatter, dumber(forget that one), don't train much, drink to much, and well.... I'm sure I could think of some more excuses but when it comes down to it shes good and I kinda suck. It always gets her though because if we are at a race people will overlook her and ask me about the race. Funny thing is I only do a couple races a year. I am usually there watching her. goes to show ya looks aren't everything(my bike makes me look fast)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So that's the secret, marry someone much older than you.. Hmm..

My husband is a much faster runner and biker, but luckily does not swim so can never officially beat me at a tri!
Quote Reply
Re: Is your wife/girlfriend faster than you? [fartlekker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
me and my woman go back and forth. She is one year older than me, but 110 lbs lighter. I can run faster than her for 2 or 3 miles, but then she will come along and pass me after that. I can bike faster than her to a point, and then again after around 60 or 70 miles we are equal. She can beat me on a hilly course too. you can see our race results at: http://home1.gte.net/res07k74/olen.html

Just click on the drop down and look at race results.

Olen
Last edited by: muscle.boy: Apr 14, 03 19:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about daughter? Out of curiosity last week I timed my 8-year-old daughter in the pool for a 100meter "as fast as you can go", and she did it in 1:45. Out of curiosity I then timed myself and I did a 1:30 (which I don't think is TOO slow for a 42-year-old). I'm guessing I've got two years before she's faster. I need to work out more!

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shes not as fast, but she refuses to race me.

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: Is your wife/girlfriend faster than you? [canwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

In Ironman races her pb is 9:13, where as mine is 9:33 (granted mine was on a harder course:)) 9:13!!! Who's your fiancee, or is it a big secret?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'll agree with getting married younger is better (or just fun)...i'm 22 and my wife is 23. just married almost a year. she's doesn't compete in tri's, but does all the training for one. she bikes and runs with me, but not much for swimming. if she was into it she could be a real badass. she loves biking and training with me (big plus!) just isn't into the racing...we met at college, she was on a soccer scholorship (she could kill me at soccer).BUT she is doing a local TT series and doing pretty good. maybe a tri in the future???
Quote Reply
Re: Is your wife/girlfriend faster than you? [muscle.boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I'm faster but she wins more awards. She's won over 25 triathlon awards. I've won only about 4.

Here's pic of both of us exiting IM swim together.

http://www.angelfire.com/...o/355_rider/iron.htm

PS, nice site muscleboy.

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply