Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ultegra/Dura Ace compatibility
Quote | Reply
Does anybody know whether it is possible to mix and match Dura Ace and
Ultegra components on the same bike?

In particular I am trying to find out whether a rear wheel equipped with an
Ultegra cassette will be compatible (i.e shift smoothly without the need for
any adjustment) on a Dura Ace equipped bike. My current bike is Ultegra equipped and I want to know if I buy a new one with Dura ace whether I will be able to swap the wheels over easily.

Any views gratefully received

Tom
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra/Dura Ace compatibility [hinchliffe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In our household we have four bikes with mixtures of Ultegra and Dura Ace components. No problems whatsoever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problems here either. I run Ultegra sprockets and chain on Durace derailleurs. It's very smooth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When changing wheels, you might find you need to adjust your rear deraileur (sp?). Not because of the DA/Ultegra question, but because of the whees themselves. I don't have any problem switching between my training wheels, my HED Deep, and my HED Disk, but my sisters bike needs a little adjustment when switching from her training wheels to her Zipp 404s. That's why they have barrel adjusters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Dura Ace, Ultegra, 105, and Tiagra are all compatible.

I have Dura Ace shifters, 105 cranks and derailers, Ultegra chainrings and cassette.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As previously posted, the current dura ace ultegra is compatible, the "old dura" I think it's the 8 speed stuff, dura ace and ultegra deraillers,shifts didn;t not match up

Irony can be humorous, but it does not have to be.

"I've always said that an Ironman is a reflection of your character" - Kevin Moats
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have replied, all 9-speed dura-ace, ultegra, and 105 drivetrain components are completely interchangable with regard to shifting compatibility.

But what is quite interesting is that a bunch of 8-speed and 9-speed components are also cross-compatible. A lot of tech reps at Shimano Calif. don't seem to even know this, but it says it clearly on Shimano literature. Some examples: 9-speed 105/ult/dura-ace shifters will accurately operate all 8 cogs on an 8-speed dura-ace rear derailleur, as long as one does not use the last 'click' (the one that normally would put one into the largest, 9th cog on a 9-speed system). There are some other compatibility options on 8-speed ultegra rear derailleurs and shifters, but they are different from 8-speed dura-ace.

If you have specific further inquiries, e-mail or post. I have done a bit of research in this area so I could get more milage out of my 'vintage' components. have fun!

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra/Dura Ace compatibility [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i run 9 speed ultegra levers with an 8 speed (shimano 600) rear deraileur/cassette and have no problems at all. i'm not sure how it works, but with the indexing, there's no need to worry about the last 'click', it's locked out automatically. it works great for me, although i do miss the extra gear at times. later,

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-Same model year (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003) Shimano Ultegra and Shimano Dura-Ace components have complete compatibility.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply