Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

speedplay titanium
Quote | Reply
I have the option to have either the speedplay ti pedals or the steel. I am 165 lbs. The ti pedals say that there is a 170lb limit. I am just under that. What do you think? Should I go witht the ti or the steel pedals?
Quote Reply
Re: speedplay titanium [JBergmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weighing in at 175lbs, I recently bought the X2's but was tempted to go with the titanium X1's. IMO the 50g weight difference wasn't worth my safety or the extra cash. That 170lb weight limit is probably a conservative estimate and you could most likely go with the titanium with no worries. Either way, the Speedplay's are an awesome pedal system!

~ A penny saved is a government oversight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 155 to 160 and have been using the Ti pedals for years. It is really hard to imagine those things breaking. They look strong as can be.

If, like me, you have too much money to spend and too few watts to get you up hills, go for them. If you go fast, no one can tell what you are riding. If you go slow like me, they look sharp. They won't really help you, but they may make you think they do, which is even better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The speedplay site says there is a 185lb. weight limit for the zero and x1 titaniums.

http://speedplay.com/...seaction=home.xspecs

I have owned the X1's with the titanium spindles for 2 1/2 years now and have had no problems. I fluctuate between 172 and 185 lbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the steel speedplays since I am reluctant to purchase anything that indicates there is a weight limit. I fluctuate between 170-175 during race season. Also, the difference in weight is only about 50g so the extra cash doesn't buy you much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
J,

i am about 175 and have used the same Ti speedplays for years. No problems at all and I am a bit of a "stomper." I don't think your weight is an issue at all. One other consideration you and others might want to look at is that the X1s have a tad bit shorter spindle than the X2s (at least they did). This is actually the reason i got them in the 1st place. For me it is better alignment - of course there are other ways to achieve this too, but it may be a consideration.

Good Luck,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: speedplay titanium [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'2" and 205#s. I've used the X1s for the last couple of years (15,000 mi) with no problems. I like the narrower spindle as well, and find it especially helpful for riding the local velodrome (44 degree banking) and criteriums. I plan on replacing the pedals with the Ti Zero's this year when my cleats need replacing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply