Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Max HR while pregnant?
Quote | Reply
I had lunch with a friend of mine today who's pregnant (20-ish weeks) and an IM finisher. She's jonesing to do some kind of training, but one medical professional or another told her not to get her HR above 140. With all the disclaimers like "consult your OB/GYN" etc., do any of you have any idea if that's accurate advice?

My issue with it is that 140 seems like such a random number; it seems that a percentage of one's max HR would be a more accurate benchmark, but what do I know?

Quote | Reply
I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV so your friend should check with her OB/GYN.

I believe the latest research does not dictate a max HR for pregnant women. If they are already exercising, they can continue their routine as long as they are comfortable. They don't make HR Max recommendations anymore.

But again, she should consult with her own doc.
Quote Reply
Re: Max HR while pregnant? [The Square Peg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140 is ridiculous.
WHEN we use a number it is more like 150-160.

the issue is overheating - in first trimester overheating can lead to come birth defects.

I usually have women work out at about 70% of their usual rate - so just dialed back a bit.

same with weights about 70% of the usual amount.

some women have not listened and their babies are fine....

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Re: Max HR while pregnant? [The Square Peg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140 is totally arbitrary. I realized that with my first pregnancy when my HR hit 135 in the shower after swim practice.

Tell your friend to get the book "exercising through your pregnancy" by James Clapp.

Then she should set her own limits, with her doctors approval, if her doctor doesn't understand exercising moms she probably needs a new Dr. Seriously she'll be a physical and emotional mess if she goes from IM to nothing.

With my first pregnancy I set my HR monitor at 155, when I went off I assessed why it was going off. Usually I slowed down, that just kept my honest with myself that I wasn't pushing it too hard. With my second pregnancy I was just excited when I got to work out and went by feel.

I've had two extremely healthy babies, no pregnancy complications and normal deliveries. But that's just me and it really is an individual thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Max HR while pregnant? [mj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I worked out and never used a HRM while pregnant, but my HR was WELL over 140, and my child is fine.
Quote Reply