Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why do they say things like this....
Quote | Reply
...talking to this young guy in his early 20's recently who is really interested in participating in his first sprint tri. Unfortunately he's become very discouraged because some quite affluent tri-geeks told he that he can't possibly be competitive unless he first gets a $4000. bike, $1500. wheels, latest wet suit, yadaydayda. This kid is now really bummed out thinking that he can't participate because he can't afford these things.

I've set him strait by telling him that he can be very competitive and most important, have a lot of fun with about $500. worth of equipment to start.

Why is it that some tri-geeks think we've absolutely gotta have all the latest gollygeewhiz gizmos. Sure, I've spent a lot of money on this sport buying keeno stuff, but the fact remains no matter how much I was ever to spend, I'd still always be just a middle aged MOP AG'er.

Well at least I've set this kid strait about this sport but I'm still a bit ticked off at what those snooty ass bozos told him.

Sorry for the rant.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do they say things like this.... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's unfortunate that the kid is getting this information. You can get into the sport for not a big investment in gear.

There are great deals on decent used bikes other than that what do you need - some swim trunks, goggles and running shoes. I can see the total investment being less than $500 to start.

I did my first triathlon in 1982 on a borrowed and beat up Apollo 10 speed. I finished 3rd overall.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just tell him that these bozos were actually nervous that this kid could kick their collective a$$es with a Huffy and gym shorts, and were just trying to find any way they could to discourage him. If that kid has any huevos at all, he'll show them what he can do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, these "bozos" don't remember that they once were beginners in the sport, and what that was like. They're probably well meaning and trying to provide appropriate advice. They just fail to step back and look at things from this new guy's level. What's most important to him, NOT what's important to THEM.

This points to one of the true arts to leadership. I run into this in my line of work too. As a former enlisted man I have a good perspective as an officer of Marines. But just because I have that background doesn't mean I'll automatically be good. Many with similar backgrounds aren't good. Why? Because they can't philosophically step down from their rank and look at a problem from the enlisted point of view. They only use their enlisted experience as "proof" that their way is the right way because "they've been there."

Same thing here. When I talk to prospective new triathletes I stress the basics to them. I don't care if I have to lend them swim goggles and they ride their Wal-Mart Huffy MTB and worn out running shorts to compete. I tell them the best thing about triathlon is just getting out and doing it and doing your best on that day. Deep down, I suspect most people feel that way. Unfortunately, most can't communicate that. Instead, they talk about all this high-speed stuff because that's where they "are" in their tri careers. I wouldn't necessarily call them bozos or snooty-ass, though. Just out of touch with this kid's needs. You seem to be in touch with that. Think about that, and use it. You've made a good start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first triathlon with zero dollars worth of purchased equipment (specifically for the tri), I used my fathers 30 year old bike.. (whose rear shifter broke 1/2 way through, leaving me with two gears, big, and bigger) I did use biking shoes however.. but they were from my mountain bike, I swam in a baggy bathing suit, and didn't change that.. and I ran in a cotton tie-dyed t-shirt.. (man, was that style or what!). The funny thing about that, was I beat a heck of alot of other people riding the fancy bikes, and that gave me soooo much pleasure it wasn't funny. It does suck that those people can't remember themselves starting out though. I always tell people they need only a bike helmet, running shoes and a bike to be able to complete a triathlon, and i can lend you a bike helmet and bike.
Quote Reply
I know why they say that... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they know the youngster will kick their sorry butts and say that to prevent him to start :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first bike I did a triathlon on cost $199. The bike I did my first 30 triathlons on cost $299. Sometimes people come into my store and ask "What's the fastest bike in here?" I look around the room and go "Hmmm. Looks like they're all going the same speed to me." It isn't the bike. It's the rider. Good rider with a decent fit on a crappy bike will smoke an average rider on a fancy bike with a so-so fit every time.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why do they say things like this.... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know a gal who runs only the same one local sprint tri per year and wins her age group 40-45 every time as well as usually a top three over all female catagory. She rides a 25 yr. old Sears 10 sp. A couple of years ao I asked her why she rides such a crappy old bike. Her reply was "to make a point".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a newbie, I've heard this kind of stuff before too. This is one of the reasons that I didn't do my first tri last year. I'm hoping to complete my first sprint this May. Triathlon is already an ntimidating sport, then there's this kind of stuff on top of the actual swimming, riding and running. I bought my first bike last summer, and spent more that I probably shoild have just because I didn't want to "look like a newbie." Yeah... stupid, I know... but I'm sure I'm not the only one to do this.

Reach for what you cannot.

-Percy Cerruty
Quote Reply
Re: I know why they say that... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right on about this one Francois. It is only overweight, over the hill guys like me that need the $4,000 bike. That way, we look good in the transition area even though that kid blew by us on the road with his single gear dirt bike.
Quote Reply
Re: I know why they say that... [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found that the same people that could drop me on my old 12 sp can still drop me on my new bikes. It's a bit more fun though being a middle aged MOP AG'er on a shiney new bike than being a middle aged MOP Ag'er on an old clunker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first mountain bike race I raced in, a guy in my class got to the start line on a discount house bike, he was fat and looked out of shape. He came in second, Because of his bike he was discounted by everyone. Well this race was one in a series, this dude placed ahead of me probably 50% of the remaining races. We became friends and the reason behind the bike was that he didn't have the cash to buy a better one but loved the sport. The guy started losing some weight and bought a much nicer bike. He was almost unbeatable at this time, I think it had nothing to do with the new bike.

In my first Tri I was passed on the bike by a dude 5 years older than me on a sweet tri bike, his gut touched the top tube, here I am a flat belly doing all I can to catch this guy on the run.

I have raced tri's (sprints) on my mountain bike and have never posted a bike split worse that top 20.

Moral of my story "Watch out for the fat dude on the huffy Mountain Bike he may want it more than you"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, it is really important to look good...why?
because if you blow up in a race, you are slow, so
you have to look good as people can take a good look at you :-)
Quote Reply
Re: I know why they say that... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this is hard for you to understand Francois. You are under the impression that the way to look good is to come out of the water with the lead group, be smooth and powerful on the bike, and then shred everyone on the run. You are young. You will learn.

The way you look good is to have sharp looking equipment and clothes, have a swim stroke that looks graceful when viewed above the water, ride an expensive bike with a position that looks good when going slowly, walk on the course only where there are no spectators, and sprint to the finish line.

On second thought, maybe I am wrong. Maybe Frenchmen will never learn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I meant...nice clothes, nice bike, nice wheels...so if I blow up, I still look good...if you blow up with an ugly bike, then it really sucks :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no,i'm going to have to with francois on this one. it doesn't matter if you win or lose it's how you look playing the game.

we are all victims to fashion. for real how many of us "need" dura ace when 105 will get the job done or a carbon fiber frame when a lesser aluminum will do the trick. you gotta live fast and leave a beautiful corpse.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its all about exclusivity, its their own private club and they want to keep it that way. Its the nature of clubs, Augusta is an extreme example. You got to work your way in, being fast is not enough you have to belong.

I got into this crazy sport when a relative took me up to watch IMC, I said hey these fat bas#@$% can do it so can I. 4 yrs later I am on my 4th IM, 2 or 3rd bike depending how you look at it, and lot lighter in both pocket and waistline. Now what is my greatest achievement to date in this sport? Well I hope I have been responsible in some way for getting at least 5 people (maybe more) into the sport ieither by loan of equipment or by example (the same "hey that fat guy can do it so can I, and he looks like he has fun" principal that worked for me) Some even ask me questions, bit scary really to give advice since I am a hard core MOP, on a good day.

that very same relative that took me up to IMC refuses to register our swim group as a Tri Club or any other type of club for that matter as he believes that it brings about exclusivity and becomes unwelcoming for newcomers. He might have a point, so if you are ever in Vancouver area and want to swim, ride or run get in touch!

Quote | Reply
"I know this is hard for you to understand Francois"

Do I sense a bit of tongue in cheek here? At least I sure hope so! Afterall, who is more fashion consciensous on the planet than zee French.
Quote Reply