Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Perfect Veggie Burger
Quote | Reply
So I am doing an anti-inflammatory diet to try to postpone a total hip replacement. No meat, dairy, wheat, tomatoes, white potatoes. I'm trying to invent the perfect veggie burger. Mixed up an ad-hoc recipe this morning. Would appreciate any suggestions to improve the recipe. It holds together pretty well, and its pretty interesting texturally, but it's kinda bland flavor-wise, and awfully white-looking. Here's what I did:

blob of cooked short-grain brown rice
blob of cooked purple-hulled rice (indonesia, i think)
a mashed up zucchini squash
a good handful of raw old fashioned oatmeal flakes (Quaker)
a big clove of garlic, all mooshed & ground up
a can of mooshed up garbanzo beans
big splurt of flax seed oil
medium splurt of pumpkin seed oil
little splurt of sesame oil
some Bragg's seasoning
big dash of onion powder
sea salt
pepper
a little crushed red pepper
some thyme and rosemary.

i'm going to try cooking a patty in the Foreman grill for supper this evening.

maybe some other veggies? cooked carrots? suggestions?
~~ i'm wondering if i could use the dry residue from my juicer to put in there too? i always feel so bad about pitching it.

thanks!

kate
Last edited by: dreaming~big: Oct 26, 08 6:22
Quote Reply
Re: The Perfect Veggie Burger [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been making "burgers" with quinoa and veggies. Cook the quinoa, shredded carrots (you could also do bits of peppers, zucchini, whatever). Use an egg to hold it together... I've also had to add a bit of flour, I don't know if that works for you or not. Spread the whole mix in a pan so it's flat, cut pieces of it and use oil to 'fry' them on the stovetop (you need only a very little bit of oil).

this one too
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001567.html

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Oct 26, 08 11:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your goal is an anti-inflammatory diet, you need to ditch the rice and oatmeal. Grains are acid-enhancing foods. Also--not sure why you would want to eliminate tomatoes and potatoes, since like all vegetables, they are alkaline-enhancing.

Here's a lentil loaf recipe that I like; you probably could make it into patties for burgers instead:

2 c. dry lentils
1 6-oz pkg sliced portobello mushrooms
1 onion, cut into chunks
1 head of garlic, separated into cloves (or use roasted minced garlic in a jar and skip the roasting below)
1/2 cup raw, unsalted almonds
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes (the dried kind in a package, not packed in oil)

Cook lentils in 4 c. water for about 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.

While the lentils are cooking, rub the portobello mushrooms and onions with a little olive oil and roast them with the garlic cloves on a baking sheet--try 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, turning midway through (I actually can't remember how long and what temperature; I just guesstimate every time). Pulse the mushrooms, onions, garlic, almonds, and sundried tomatoes in a food processor til they are in little pieces. Don't process them finely; the idea is that they will provide texture. Remove this mixture to a big bowl.

Now separately process the lentils, only as much as necessary to get a thick mixture that's still a little chunky.

Combine the lentil mixture with the mushroom-onion-garlic-almond-tomato mixture. Pat into a loaf shape on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake at 375 for approximately 30 minutes. Let the loaf cool completely before cutting or it will fall apart. Add salt and pepper to taste before eating.

I like this lentil loaf with ketchup (I know--sodium through the ceiling that completely offsets the fact that there is no salt in the loaf itself). The recipe makes a lot. I always freeze half.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure about the ketchup recommendation....HFC abound...
You can also include in your diet: ginger-lemon tea--as pointed out--alkalizing the body is important. And this is great for it. Probably the inclusion of acid sounds counter-intuitive, but it isn't. Just boil water and pour it over grated ginger and a squeeze of half a lemon

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a good one using black beans that's from a Fine Cooking magazine issue earlier this summer. PM me with a mail address and I'll scan the article to pdf when I'm back in the office Thursday.

Free Training Plans and Canvases: abetteranimal.com (IG: @abetteranimal )
Home Cooking: culaccinokitchen.com (IG: culaccinokitchen )
Zurich, Switzerland
Quote Reply