Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Recovery after a Broken Hip [ca_canuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running is a different story from cycling in terms of recovery time from an injury such as yours. It has been about 2 1/2 years, since my hip fracture, I am still not back to my performance level percentage, as obtained from an age-grading calculator. But I am not sure that other factors might not be the reason. Also, only in recent months have I been able to increase my training runs to a distance and time similar to those of pre-injury. Incidentally, I have been able to improve my distance training by using a suggestion given by Joe Henderson in his recent book, Learning to Walk. I run five minutes and follow by one minute of walking. I do this repeatedly. You might give that a try. Just be patient, you will get back. It is an attitudinal thing..
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery after a Broken Hip [ignacio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe I haven't come across this thread before. On August 5, 2012 (I was 31 years old at the time), I went down on a wet left hand turn at the end of a 80 mile training ride leading into 70.3 Worlds. I was diagnosed with an intertrocanteric fracture in my left hip via MRI. I had surgery the next day to install a dynamic hip screw. I was released from the hospital four days later. I was in a great deal of pain, but was encouraged to walk with a cane as tolerated. My first day home I was able to go to a movie, church, and dinner. The next day I woke up and couldn't bend my knee joint past 20 degrees ROM. I was readmitted to the hospital with the fear that I was experience compartment syndrome and if it went unchecked I could lose the leg. I did indeed have a large amount of edema under my quadricep, but not to the extent of requiring surgery to relieve the pressure.

My PT began the following week and it was mainly focused on moving the edema toward my groin and allow my lymph system to move the fluid out. This was EXTREMELY painful and required my therapist to manually massage the quad and push the fluid up the leg. We measured my ROM each visit and it began improving, but it took about 6 weeks before I could bend my knee far enough to complete a full pedal stroke.

I had already registered for the iron distance Bone Island Tri in January at the time of my wreck. I had originally wanted to use it to give my off season training some structure, but now it had become my deadline to be able to complete. Through rigirous PT, a patient plan from the coach, and a huge focus on recovery, I completed the race in January, just over 5 months since my surgery.

In March, I was also able to go to San Juan and through roll down I secured another slot to Vegas. Definitely not my best race, but good enough on that day.

I won't say that it will be easy, because it won't, but a comeback is possible. I still deal with pain on a regular basis, but it is tolerable most of the time. Keep your head up and take your recovery slow - I know how difficult it is.

http://www.TeamRWB.org It's our turn!
Blazeman Warrior No. 387
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery after a Broken Hip [Alan Couzens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for posting this! I was in a bad crash at IMTX two weeks ago where I sustained a 3rd deg AC separation as well as breaking 6 ribs, my sternum, and my right femoral neck, which was repaired with an IM nail and screws. I haven’t been able to find much about distance running after hip repair with an IM nail. This is so encouraging. I’m only 40, and I really hope to return to long distance tri asap...not training is like not breathing. Any other thoughts / advice on how to regain the lost strength would be appreciated. I’m in a wheelchair for 6-8 wks to prevent weight bearing while upper body injuries heal. Many thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery after a Broken Hip [Alyparis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very sorry to hear about your crash & happy that I could, at least, offer some hope for a full recovery. My break was so long ago now that I rarely think of it despite still having the intramedullary rod in my femur. I suppose that fact alone is a good sign :-)

Now, 10 years post, I don't notice any real limitations at all. The only thing that I would add to my previous recommendations is to make it a priority to take the rehabilitation all the way. I did the basic post surgery rehab & began weight-bearing as soon as possible (and as much as possible) but didn't take enough time to bring the injured side back up to the same strength as the non. When I said it took me 12mo to get the left and right side balanced, more honestly it was probably 90% balanced and that 10% made a difference. Consequently, any musculo-skeletal overuse issues I have had over that time have tended to be on that side (lingering ITB issues, tib posterior tendonitis, some Piriformis issues etc).

All very minor when compared to the initial issue but worth keeping in mind as your recovery progresses.

All the best for some speedy healing and a quick return to doing what you love!

Alan Couzens, M.Sc. (Sports Science)
Exercise Physiologist/Coach
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Alan_Couzens
Web: https://alancouzens.com
Last edited by: Alan Couzens: May 15, 18 15:03
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery after a Broken Hip [Alan Couzens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s great advice, thanks again. I was thinking the same thing - it will probably be important to incorporate weight training as soon as I can to start building my strength back up in addition to getting back on the bike, etc. I see a lot of aqua jogging in my future. My poor legs have gotten so shrunken already, in just a couple of weeks.

I’ll also note that I’ve read a lot of what you have compiled for training advice, etc, on your website and I’m a HUGE fan of yours!! 😊
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Aly,

I was in the same boat. Amazing how quickly the legs atrophy during rest. Fortunately they come back almost as quickly when you start bearing weight again.

Great point on the water. I spent a lot of time in the pool coming back and I think it was very good for the legs ( & the head! Smile )

Thank you very much for the kind words about the site. Truly appreciated and very happy to at least be able to provide a little reading material to both pass the time and motivate during your (speedy) recovery!

See you at a race sometime soon!

Alan Couzens, M.Sc. (Sports Science)
Exercise Physiologist/Coach
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Alan_Couzens
Web: https://alancouzens.com
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery after a Broken Hip [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there! I know this is quite an old thread, but I was in a bike crash 7 weeks ago, and suffered a 3rd deg AC separation, 6 broken ribs, broken sternum, and femoral neck fracture repaired with an IM nail and 4 screws. I was in a wheelchair for 6 weeks with no weight bearing, and just started walking one week ago. I saw your comment about having a limp and I was curious if you remember how long that lasted. Every morning I wake up and wonder when it won’t hurt to walk anymore :-) just curious if your limo was due to pain, weakness, or both, and if you remember how long it stuck around. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated - it’s a little tough to find info on recovery from this injury!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't give you any advice but wanted to wish you well. Must feel good to walk again. I hope you continue healing quickly and that you get back to full form.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery after a Broken Hip [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My limp was from the Psoas and hip flexors getting really short and weak on the affected side.
Do what you can to keep/create length on that side. Not really pain-
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery after a Broken Hip [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@bootsie_cat thank you. I was sort of hoping you would say it was painful lol - I’m hoping this is normal. I appreciate the response and the advice! I think I’m getting better every day, just not as quickly as I would like (but what else is new?!). 😊
Quote Reply

Prev Next