Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

jantex tubular tape
Quote | Reply
has anyone used this product? It is a two sided tape that is said to be suitable for attaching tubular tires to rims. It is at www.totalcycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: jantex tubular tape [tucbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although I haven't used it I find it hard to imagine anything easier to use than rim cement.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: jantex tubular tape [tucbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't used tape yet but I emailed Tufo (who makes a mounting tape for their tubulars) and Bobo Anderson at bobozone.com and here is a summary of what they said about Tufo tape.

Tape is fairly easy to use , but it can make a tire hard to remove quickly in a race situation. It is pressure activated and sometimes takes a few minutes after all the pressure is out of the tire to get it off the rim.

If the tape is applied to a clean (no residual glue) rim it should come off with the tire. Therefore you need to carry an extra box of tape with you to mount your spare.

This makes me wonder what happens to the tape that is on the old tire when you have to carry it with you on your bike for the rest of the race. Does the tape get all over your clothes etc.

Because of this I decided to just use glue. I ended up using Vittoria Mastik 1 and it isn't too hard or messy to use once you get the hang of it. However, I don't use the "many coats of glue" method that the USPS uses because if you have to change a tire in a race it is
very hard to remove.

This is the method I am currently using and it seems to be working so far:

http://www.vittoria.com/bikeshop.html
Quote Reply
Re: jantex tubular tape [R Isgrigg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Richard- another fine post and a good resource (the vittoria link). That is the best "how to" on tubular gluing I've seen. I don't agree 100% with the necessity of stretching a tire 2 weeks (an hour is enough) or with applying cement to the tire itself, I only put it on the rim, let it get tacky after 15 minutes and then mount the tire. We teach a class during the season on tubular tire mounting and changing a tubular in a race environment. Many people have different techniques. Mine is geared toward safety and convenience. I can glue a non-stretched tubular in under 15 minutes and do a nice clean, secure job. I've had to glue tubulars on wheels in the back of a team car going 40 m.p.h. on bad pavement. No time for stretching, layering glue and waiting for thr planets to align. You just have to get it on and make sure it sticks.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply