Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rules Question
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity. Last September, I’m in a small USAT sanctioned sprint duathlon approaching T2. I’m using platforms and just as I get ready to stop, I have trouble getting my right foot out of the platform and thing becomes disengaged and falls to the ground. Now I’m straddling my bike just in front of the T2 entry mat trying to figure whether to go back and get it, maybe 10–15 feet behind, I don't really know. Or heck with it — just keep going. If I don’t retrieve, I’m abandoning equipment, and maybe it will get lost, requiring replacement. If I do, then I’m going to lose precious seconds. All of a sudden, in the middle of my panic-driven mind–spin, a friendly volunteer runs up behind me and hands it to me. I say thanks, and I’m on through T2. I placed first in my age group, no money. I’m not certain if I violated any rules, or if I did, how serious was it?
Quote Reply
Re: Rules Question [Ed Reid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no rule expert but I would assume that if the volunteer is part of the "officials" race that their assistance would not be "outside" assistance (just like having the official repair team fix a flat for you in an ironman) so that you would not be breaking any rules.
Quote Reply
Re: Rules Question [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan is correct you did not incur a penalty

volunteers are not outside assistance they are part of the race. However if the volunteer did not bring you the gear and you left it and an official was standing there: it is abandonded equipment and a 1 minute penalty [assuming you received no other penalties in the sprint race prior to that].

eric

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: Rules Question [Ed Reid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I was a director of a triathlon, I had a simalar situation happen (except it was between two elite triathletes running neck to neck). The USAT official did not consider this abandonment of equipment. Neither did I.

It's my interpretation there must be some sort of intent and/or perhaps advantage gained from the abandonment. Had you not been given the equipment by a volunteer, then it's possible there was intentional intent to abandon equipment. Although, being so close to the transition area the abandonment rule tends to be much more lenient. This interpretation has been verified by two USAT officials that I know personally.

That's my take on it.

FWIW Joe Moya
Last edited by: Joe M: Apr 10, 03 17:50
Quote Reply
Re: Rules Question [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I volunteered at a local sprint last year, taking numbers at the end of the bike leg. There where numerous shoes lost at that point in front of a USAT official and no penalties given, as far as I know. We wrote down the numbers and returned the shoes if the people did not come back after they were finished.
Quote Reply