Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Salt Tablets // 1/2 Iron
Quote | Reply
I just returned back from my vacation on Hawaii...( running on Alii Drv it was one of my best runnings in my life.... )
I bought LAVA SALTS pills.... and I never train taking those pills... But in my first race of the year ( Oly race ) I faded on the run just because I sweated too much, it was a really hot day and I normally sweat much more than other people... My problem it was not the water because I drunk 2,5 liters of water in the bike leg.... So I think I lost too much salt....(
It´s normal in my training my body been covered by salt when gets dry.... )
I´m packing today for my first 1/2 Iron race and my question is: Do I use or not the lava salts ?????
I know that we shouldn´t try anything on the races, but I´m afraid of even DNF this race if is a really hot day.....( I´m glad its raining today... ) I was planing to take one pill just before T2.....

Any ideas ????

Luiz Eng
Quote Reply
Re: Salt Tablets // 1/2 Iron [Leng] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Lava Salt Brand is very concentrated and (as the label says) can cause stomach problems. There are other options like EnduroLytes from ww.e-caps.com that are less concentrated and seem to be easier on the stomach but you have to take more. Without much time to test either take 1 Lava Tablet per hour and make sure to wash it down with plenty of water (20oz is recommended in the instructions) or take the E-Caps, one every 15 mins with water and see how many you can get in.

I took 22 caps of the E-Caps at Ralphs 1/2 last week and still had some cramping at the end of the run. I usually don't cramp with the Lava Salt, but I usually need to visit the port-o-let halfway through the run due to stomach issues.

Another option is pickle juice. It has the highest concentraction of sodium per volume of liquid, but I've never tried it. Something about a big warm glass of pickle juice at the start of the run doesn't seem to refreshing.

Good Luck.

Ross Hoopingarner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year at the Gulf Coast Tri (Half IM), it was EXTREMELY hot. I had never trained or race with salt before, but with the temp @ 95 and the humidity @ 85% the day before the race, I figured I'd rather take the chance. I brought along three Lava salt tablets and took 2 on the bike and another on the way out of T2. There were cramping bodies strewn about the sides of the road. I heard around 400 DNFed. I can't speak for all, but I think the salt was good for me. I'll be using it in my long races this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
on the e-caps site someone referred to there is a book called The Endurance Athletes Guide to success that has a section "Electrolyte replacement". It point to the use of e-caps but it will give you some good info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can pour the content of the lava salts or endurolytes into your drink so you will be taking electrolytes gradually. This way it may be more efficient and gentler on your stomach.

On the run you can put one in the gel flask and mix it with gel and water. I advise you to test the formula first as you can make the resulting concoction to salty, which isn’t to nice when warm.
Quote Reply