Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Adjusting to Altitude
Quote | Reply
Hey Ladies,

I just moved from sea level to Boulder, CO (5,000+). Obviously I've noticed the difference, but do you have any tips on getting used to it? Workouts to try, things that have worked for you to acclimate?

I don't usually take vitamins or anything but heard a rumor that changes in elevation affect iron and other things? Thoughts?

Thanks! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Adjusting to Altitude [bostonhopeful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It took me about 3 months to feel fully acclimatized after moving from the Bay Area to the Vail Valley (around 7500 feet). That's higher than Boulder, but it just took time. Slow down, drink a ton more water than your used to. Walk when you start to feel winded. Don't go as long as you used to at first either. Just cut back a little. Eventually, your body will adapt and you'll be kicking ass at altitude and at sea level, it just takes a little while! A friend moved to the Boulder area less than a year ago, and about 5 months later was still feeling it. It just takes time. (Sorry, I have no input on vitamins/supplements... other than a multiple, I don't take anything).

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Adjusting to Altitude [bostonhopeful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the last poster. I moved from Chicago about 3-4 years ago and it did take about 3 months to get use to it. Lots of water, sunscreen, and patience. Don't go by how sweaty, tired, hot you feel because since it is so dry you don't perspire as much- just be faithful that every 10-15 min you should drink. The good news you will do awesome in any sea level race and since you will be adjusted you will kick anyone's rear who comes up from sea level. Enjoy Boulder its the "mecca" for the tri- world! I try to get there whenever I can as I am southern Denver!

COtrimom

Quote Reply