Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you couldn't S/B/R, what would be your sport of choice? [LovePugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe back into rugby (which I retired just before I took up tri). Or lacrosse - I played one season, and thought about getting back into it when I left rugby, but no time now.
Quote Reply
Re: If you couldn't S/B/R, what would be your sport of choice? [LovePugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I already do:

Nordic skiing racing
Adventure Racing (which includes mt biking and some running/rapid hiking.. does that count?)
Orienteering (includes running but you spend most time off trail)
Paddling
mt hiking/peak bagging

I would love to try:

Biathlon (ski / shoot)
Modern Pentathlon...(but that has swimming and running...)
Ski Archery
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd take up those eating challenges. And rock climbing again. Mountaineering, surfing, stand up paddle boarding. And probably paddling since everyone does that out here. All the things I wish I had time to do when I'm training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ice hockey. Would love to learn to play sometime soon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couch sitting. I would go pro right now, but I don't think I can handle the emotional rollercoaster.

Last edited by: cuds: Sep 29, 08 23:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tennis!!! I burned out at the end of high school when I decided not to play in college, but every time my sister visits (she plays for her college team) I love to get back out there and mess around.

Fitness competitions ...I think those women look amazing. They are in incredible shape and still look very feminine (female body builders scare me). I love to work out and I LOVE lifting, and these would give me an excuse to feed both addictions :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rowing- easily my best potential... and possibly the only sport more expensive than Tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thru-hiking (very long distance backpacking).

Of course, you have to take months off of work, or quit your job. That's the tough part!

My targets,
1) Return to Peru or Bolivia
2) Nepal
3) Continental Divide Trail
4) Pacific Crest Trail
5) Vermont Trail
6) Appalachian Trail

I've done some 1- to 3-week sections of the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does sex count as a sport?

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: If you couldn't S/B/R, what would be your sport of choice? [brikins13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Rowing- easily my best potential... and possibly the only sport more expensive than Tri.

Think again. Most sports that we normally consider to be "expensive" (triathlon, downhill ski racing, paddling/rowing) are easily eclipsed by equestrian sport, sailing and motorsport. Offhand I don't think there's any sport more expensive than F1 racing, but I could be wrong there too...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: If you couldn't S/B/R, what would be your sport of choice? [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on how good you are at it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: If you couldn't S/B/R, what would be your sport of choice? [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Couch sitting. I would go pro right now, but I don't think I can handle the emotional rollercoaster.
I hear the training is really hard on the ass.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: If you couldn't S/B/R, what would be your sport of choice? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you forgot about Rocket racing, and Space shuttle racing, and fighter jet racing and..

I'm talking normal sports, head to toe physical, not motor assisted, not horse assisted, blah blah. After rowing at the college level, thats just what i'd pick, and at 40,000 for a new 8 (sure maybe only 10-15 for a new single) thats what suits me- not to get into the whole "what belongs in the olympics" and "whats a real sport" debate, but equestrian (aside from the fact that i weigh in aroudn 210), NASCAR, F1?? sailing maybe...

annnd... go!
Quote Reply
Re: If you couldn't S/B/R, what would be your sport of choice? [brikins13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Downhill ski racing. Used to do it in high school and college, would love to get back into it but it's quite expensive - Something like $30-50 every time you go practice, and closest place to me is 45 mins away and kind of sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fencing
Tennis
Rowing
Quote Reply
Re: If you couldn't S/B/R, what would be your sport of choice? [wickedcheezit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ice hockey. Gave it up in 2001 because the ice times were really disruptive of my work, travel, and work travel :-), but boy was it fun. In fact, that's what made me get back into triathlon, after not having done one since 1986!
Quote Reply
Re: If you couldn't S/B/R, what would be your sport of choice? [wickedcheezit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Backcountry skiing in winter. I've done a little. Also telemarking! It is way cool. I've done none. Sailing in summer/spring/fall. (if you think sailing counts as a sport.) That would assume I could afford it.

Aikido year round.

And, one thing I do actually plan on eventually doing is hiking the whole Appalachian trail. I will do it bits at a time, starting when I turn 65.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My other activities have always been scuba diving and skiiing, both downhill and x-country. Also curling and Wednesday night pub league darts if they count. I could give up running or swimming but it would drive me nuts if I couldn't ride the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: If you couldn't S/B/R, what would be your sport of choice? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>Nordic skiing racing
Adventure Racing (which includes mt biking and some running/rapid hiking.. does that count?)
Orienteering (includes running but you spend most time off trail)
Paddling
mt hiking/peak bagging

I would love to try:

Biathlon (ski / shoot)
Modern Pentathlon...(but that has swimming and running...)
Ski Archery <

Dang...I couldn't have picked a list that suited me better! Thanks for reminding me of all the things I want to do!

Racing Ironman for Athletes in Tandem...http://www.firstgiving.com/...manworldchampionship
Quote Reply
Re: If you couldn't S/B/R, what would be your sport of choice? [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oleander, if you ever come to the AT, make sure you drop me a line first, it goes right past my house!

To ans the question...speed skating, xc ski, hockey, kayacking, I would even figure skate to meet the requirements of this quiz. I never tried rowing, but it sounds fun.
Quote Reply
Re: If you couldn't S/B/R, what would be your sport of choice? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm with tigerchik here... ice climbing, mountaineering, rock climbing...

all good for developing an edge for mental toughness and endurance

...an epic multi-pitch rock climb when a snow storm is brewing will make you strong...

i put down the ice axes though -- i like bikes too much
Quote Reply
Re: If you couldn't S/B/R, what would be your sport of choice? [Diana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha!....there is lots of stuff to do out there and so little time....

I see you got your pictures taken with the "Real Deal" Jerry Macneil at Buffalo Springs, a great announcer and friend....
Quote Reply
Re: If you couldn't S/B/R, what would be your sport of choice? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ain't that the truth...so much to do...so little time!
Yes, Jerry is fantastic. I went out to dinner with him and the Gruenfeld's while there.
Aloha from the big island : ),
Diana

Racing Ironman for Athletes in Tandem...http://www.firstgiving.com/...manworldchampionship
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd definitely be a ski racer. Close seconds would be cross-country skiier, rower (again) or rock climber.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kayaking 4 sure, bit like cycling - sitting on your bum all day!
Any sort of eating challenge - Reckon I'd do ok in those.
Quote Reply

Prev Next