Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Piriformis and running
Quote | Reply
Anyone else had to deal with piriformis issues? I'm pretty new to multisports, only having started this year. Recently I upped my running volume to try improving my run stamina, but the run stamina was always hampered by pirifirmis pain on race day or long runs. Of course, now I'm addicted and want to run (I never used to like it) and now I've a doc telling me to stop running due to chronic piriformis syndrome.

Obviously, I dont' want to stop.

So, I'm looking for hints. I know I have to slow down for a while, possibly take a few weeks off running, but does anyone have some advice on how to get back on my run without causing a recurrance of the problem? All the stretching in the world hasn't helped all this past year, so that alone isn't going to do it, but surely there is something I can do. If anyone else has been through this, how long did it take before you were back cruising in running shoes? Maybe I should look into running barefoot? I'm desperate for some good news here.

There is no justice, there is only me. -- Death
Quote Reply
Re: Piriformis and running [Sabrekitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine comes and goes now. Regular chiro adjustments definitely keep me on track with it. I don't really stretch - like you, I found it didn't help at all. I also NEVER stopped/cut down running because of it. That's not going to help it so why stop? Did the doc tell you why to stop? I've never done the foam roller thing, but I hear that can help too. One thing I find helps the most with it is strength training, including core work. When I'm in the gym 2x/week I find that pain is either extremely minimal or totally non-existent. Maybe start incoporating some strength training and see if that helps ya out.

Quote | Reply
This particular doc claimed I needed time to heal the tissue, and in fact told me not to do core training which I think is pure insanity. I'm not too convinced that he's on the right track, but he's the one attached to my chiropractor's office.

Do you run through when it starts hurting, or back off that run and hit the run again the next day?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run right through it. Just train as normal. Sometimes the pain is outright excruciating, but it's not like shin splints where it can turn into a stress fracture or compartment syndrome - it can't really get worse.

Heal the tissue? The tissue isn't really "injured" per se. Piriformis syndrome is when the sciatic nerve is aggravated by the piriformis muscle. For me, it's present when my body is out of line (so a trip to the chiro is iminent) and/or I haven't been strength training. Docs are always so quick to tell you to stop running when anything happens. I don't see anyone who isn't a runner anymore because I got tired of hearing no running. Runner's understand that not running is not an option - they are more interested in finding a way to help while you keep running, though it can sometimes mean cutting down a bit on intensity and/or mileage.

All this said, did you increase your mileage and/or intensity too quickly? I'm a biomechanical mess so I've got it all lol, but piriformis can also be linked to overuse so that may be why the doc was quick to tell you to stop running. Not do core is pure insanity to me. That doesn't make any sense at all. What does your chiro say about it?

Quote | Reply
The chiro said "you can ignore the MD, it'll just take longer to fix the problem."

Thing is I think the MD was basing his "don't run" on two knots. One of those knots has been there for 15 years and isn't gonna go away from not running.

Yes, I increased mileage a lot lately. I went from 3x/wk running to 6x/wk. Most of those are much shorter, but I was trying the "increase the short distance by 1 minute a week, the long distance by 2 min a week plan. I'd reached 19min/38min for weekdays, the longest run being 56 min or so on the weekend. I'm thinking I'll stay at 20 min/day with only one longer distance/time instead of two and instead be sure to increase my strength and core training.

Yeah, non-running doctors do tend to be quick to want everyone to quit running. I've not been so disgusted or pissed at a doctor since I was 14 and had one refuse to believe I wasn't pregnant when my folks brought me in with a fever of 103 dry heaving from the flu (because we all know girls don't get sick, they just get knocked up).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not know much about piriformis syndrome - but you can hit that muscle pretty well with a foam roller... might be worth getting one if you don't have one already?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Periformis cramps are the worst!! Crippling to me. But, I run through it. Occasionally I have a couple days in a row where it will flare up. I've been walking down the street and BOOM! Unable to walk.

But, I just keep moving through it like you should do with any cramp.

I can never stretch it when it is happening. I have yet to find a stretch that works.

Resting is BS in my book. Cramps are cramps. Hydrate, make sure your electrolytes are in balance by popping them while running and leave it at that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I might have some good news for you. I suffered horribly from sciatic pain due to piriformis syndrome in 2001 and was doing everything possible to try to get rid of it...including an internet search for any other non-traditional ideas. I discovered a fantastic little piece of plastic that costs $30 called the sacro wedgy. It saved my butt...literally. I still use it periodically now to keep my piriformis happy. Works like a charm. I've told many people about this over the years and it seems to help some people and not others, but for me it was a miracle cure (maybe 50% improvement in 5 days and 100% by 3 weeks). You just lay on the floor on it and it works its magic. It's probably worth risking the $30 even if it doesn't work...because if it's truly piriformis syndrome, it probably will work (and no...I don't have any affiliation with the people who make it). The web site is www.sacrowedgy.com. I love telling people about this because it's so simple and it works so well.
Good luck!
Diana

Racing Ironman for Athletes in Tandem...http://www.firstgiving.com/...manworldchampionship
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you do a search in the main forum, you should find lots of info on this topic. I have had it off and on for about two years. ART has been the one thing that has kept me running. It doesn't solve the underlying cause - in my case a muscle inbalance in my hips/glutes - but it does make the pain go away so that I can run and do the exercises I need to correct the imbalance. Highly recommended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had problem yesterday for the first time ever. It was awful. I went home and stretched (the pidgeon yoga stretch) and using a foam roller (or if you are brave) a tennis ball and sitting on it with your leg up in a figure four) works it out.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your doctor tells you to stop running, get a new doctor..
seriously. You need a doc who understands that running isn't just a pastime, a hobby that can be replaced with crocheting or scrapbooking. A couple of weeks off for recovery is fine and to be expected, but stopping shouldn't be necessary.

My run-in with piriformis was due to an unforgiving bike saddle. An off-season of yoga helped a good deal. It took a year to get past the worst of it, and it still hurts after 3 years, but is manageable now.
Since the piriformis is basically a problem with nerve entrapment/constriction by the muscles, the stretches and strengthening exercises are the cure. Ask for a referral to a physical therapist, and do what they tell you. If this doesn't help (after 8-12 weeks of consistent daily stretching/strengthening) then it's possible it's not piriformis but something else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stretching and regular yoga work for me; Pigeon pose is the best.thing.ever. I also use the tennis ball to massage the tendon connection (although I don't feel that brave doing it!), because for me the pain is not in the muscle, it's in the connection at the base of my left glute. Because of that, the other thing I do that's been effective is a glucosamine/MSM supplement (and my plantar fasciitis thanks me for that, too!).
Quote Reply
Re: Piriformis and running [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily you specifically for this entire reply, but I can't seem to reply to the thread at large. Well, I did decide that doc is an idiot and have been ignoring him. He isn't my regular MD, he's the dude attached to the chiropracter, and the chiro seems fine with me still running, cycling and swimming.

I've ordered a sacrowedgie, been trying to be better about my core training (its difficult to get that done when every time I go in the exercise room the parrot starts screaming like crazy at me. My neighbors hate when I do core training) and the chiro sent me home with a personal TENS unit. It works like a charm.

Essentially, I only today on my longer, hillier run had trouble since Sunday. Now if I could figure out why it hurts more to start running after several days not doing so and eases up on the second day....

Anyway, yeah. Running is back on the menu, and my dog is very pleased about it. Thanks for the replies everyone. Y'all all convinced me that this particular doc is just hostile to endurance sports in general (he didn't even want me riding my bike at bike-walk pace).

Quote Reply
Re: Piriformis and running [Diana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was convinced, and the sacro wedgy came in today. Any suggestions on how to use it? They have a booklet with a therapist, but it's just me, so I just laid down for a few minutes, then my back hurt after, like it needed to crack. How'd you start?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you! Just listen to your body. Piriformis definitely hurts some (ok, can feel debilitating), but at the same time your body will let you keep going. Just remember to keep your body strengthened. I said it before, strength training! Since I got back to mine, only 2 1/2 weeks ago, I'm pain free!!!

Quote | Reply
I'm pain free!!!

Um, I'm afraid you will always be a pain :P

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Piriformis and running [kprsal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes...it does make you a bit stiff at first, so it's a good idea to roll off of it and get up slowly. There shouldn't be any persistent pain though...for me it was just hard to get up (now, I have no problem jumping right up afterwards, but I have minimal issues with the piriformis) and within a minute of standing up you should feel normal. When I first got mine, I used it for 20 minute sessions several times a day (because I was impatient and wanted to find out if it would work). This is one situation where I do think that "more is better." Hope it works for you! Keep me updated!
Diana

Racing Ironman for Athletes in Tandem...http://www.firstgiving.com/...manworldchampionship
Quote Reply
Re: Piriformis and running [Diana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear that the wedgie works for you. I've had one for about a year, but it really doesn't help. My guess is that there are many different issues that will cause piriformis pain. The wedgie happens to help with yours, but not mine. For me, ART has been a godsend. Beyond treatment of the pain, however, strengthening the surrounding (and counterbalancing) muscles is the only cure.
Quote Reply
Re: Piriformis and running [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't say YOU were pain free, did I? :D

Quote | Reply
Late to this thread, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth 'cause piriformis and I go back a long way. I totally agree with the advice about strengthening the surrounding muscles (glute medius in my case). ART helped, but the best pain relief has come from acupuncture. When my sports medicine doc tried it, I was running more comfortably immediately. Lots of physios do acupuncture, so it's pretty easy to find.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regular stretching never helped me but the dynamic flexibility of yoga did. I do it twice per week to the Yoga for Athletes by Baron Baptiste and it keeps me injury free. Not bad for 30 minutes of relaxation!

Quote Reply